Acer Aspire R7-572 touchscreen mouse pointer randomly jumps all over the screen.

Options
craigj0628
craigj0628 Member Posts: 1 New User
Recently started having a problem with the mouse pointer randomly jumping all over the screen. It's gotten so bad that I can't even use the computer at this time because the pointer won't stay in the same place long enough for me to type or select anything. I typically use the laptop in the screen forward configuration so I don't use the touch pad and nothing is touching it. I use the touchscreen about half the time and use an external USB mouse the rest of the time. It makes no difference which method I use or whether the external mouse is connected or not. Really need some help here as my fancy 4-month old laptop is essentially useless at this point.

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

The following steps may help to resolve the issue:

For Alps touchpad users
    1. Click "Start" and type mouse. Hit Enter key.
    2. In the Mouse Properties windows that comes up, go to "Tapping" tab.
    3. Tick the box labeled "Tap Off When Typing" and click "Ok"

For Synaptics touchpad users
    1. Click "Start" and type mouse. Hit Enter key.
    2. In the Mouse Properties windows that comes up, go to "Device Settings" tab.
    3. Click "Synaptics Touchpad" and then, click "Settings". This will open up Synaptics Touchpad Settings window.
    4. Click "Pointing", then "Sensitivity", and then click "PalmCheck" in the left pane.
    5. Now, drag the PalmCheck slider to right to decrease the sensitivity of touchpad.
    6. Click "OK"

The following link can be useful:
    https://smallbusiness.chron.com/fix-jumping-cursor-acer-computer-52906.html

Hope this will help you.

• jcraig0628
    jcraig0628 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, but still no joy.  NOTE: my laptop is using Windows 8.1 and is also a touchscreen.  I've tried modifying the mouse settings and have even disabled the touchpad (Fn+F7), but the problem still persists.  It's like a ghost is randomly touching the screen over and over again in different spots and is making the computer unuseable.  No one else has responded or offered any suggestions, so I guess I'm going to have to get with Acer to get it repaired.

• jcraig0628
    jcraig0628 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

So, I discovered that if I disable the touchscreen the problem goes away...reenable it and the problem comes back.  Chatted with Acer support yesterday and they had me uninstall and reinstall the touchscrren and USB drivers, which did no good.  Then they had me do a "refresh" which also didn't help.  i guess I'll be back online chatting with them again tonight.  At least I can use the laptop with the touchscreen disabled until i can figure out the problem.

• aztopmom
    aztopmom Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

We've been experiencing the same "jumping cursor" problem with our Aspire R7 (purchased Spring 2014) and urgently need a solution, if anyone has one. It's not accidental touches on the touchpad, as that's above the keyboard on the R7. We're a few days off warranty and Acer Support won't talk to us!

• aztopmom
    Options

After a little more searching, there appears to be a promising solution is this other topic:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-Aspire-R7-572-Touch-Screen-Glitching-Out/td-p/194483

It involves downloading drivers from N-trig.

• aztopmom
    Options

It appears to have solved the problem.

• rufaz
    rufaz Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    Options

hey, could you upload the n-trig driver somewhere? n-trig website is now down as microsoft bought over them.

i am still having the touchscreen issue and i couldnt solve it without the driver.

• blinkdt
    blinkdt Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you, aztopmom, for the link, the software available from rufaz's Google Drive link mid-way through that post definitely solved the erratic mouse behavior that has been plaguing my Aspire R7 for as long as I can remember.

The software is actually a firmware upgrade for the N-trig touchscreen device! I went through four bluetooth/wireless USB/wired mice, believing the problem to be a mouse-related issue. It was not, and I am really disappointed with Acer for not making this firmware fix available from their own site.

Once the package is installed, you'll find it listed in Control Panel's "Programs and Features" applet as "N-trig DuoSense Multi-touch Package," published by N-trig, version 4.58.6144.9  I'm almost tempted to uninstall it as I'm sure the firmware upgrade would not be affected, but I'm going to leave well enough allow.

My thanks to for the link in this post that leads to the other post that contains a working link to the software. Acer community contributors are the best! As for the contemptible Acer moderator who cautioned against downloading and installing the firmware upgrade, I say "get with the program."

[inappropriate content removed]