Most Games Crashing on Predator Helios 300 G3-572

Options
2»

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    You can try turning down the graphics of these games, maybe the VRAM isn't enough. It is also very likely that you need more RAM as JackE mentioned. Just turn down the settings, also lower the resolution to see if this will happen again. Also open task manager or download HWiNFO to monitor your RAM usage.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Sushant_
    Sushant_ Member Posts: 73 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ven98 said:
    You can try turning down the graphics of these games, maybe the VRAM isn't enough. It is also very likely that you need more RAM as JackE mentioned. Just turn down the settings, also lower the resolution to see if this will happen again. Also open task manager or download HWiNFO to monitor your RAM usage.
    The specs on Predator Helios 300 G3-572 as I mentioned, are enough to run the games I've been running. I don't really have to upgrade the processing. What I'm looking for is a fix for the game crashes.

I am not playing on Ultra high settings, that's just too much to ask for from this model's processing power. Although, turning down the graphics settings a little bit should technically not cause so many problems.

I could play with extremely low graphics, but then, that's just a counter-intuitive thing to do on a gaming laptop
    <3 ...Just another overly curious guy.
  • ven98
    Options
    I am not asking you to play on minecraft graphics settings, I am asking you to observe the RAM usage with the current settings and see if it reaches 8GB, then turn down the settings, observe the RAM usage, play for a bit to find if the game will crash. If doesn't crash then your laptop's resources(RAM) are not enough to run these games with the current settings. It doesn't hurt to try.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Sushant_
    Options
    ven98 said:
    I am not asking you to play on minecraft graphics settings, I am asking you to observe the RAM usage with the current settings and see if it reaches 8GB, then turn down the settings, observe the RAM usage, play for a bit to find if the game will crash. If doesn't crash then your laptop's resources(RAM) are not enough to run these games with the current settings. It doesn't hurt to try.
    Most games come with VRAM monitors and my settings make use of roughly 55% of the VRAM
    As for RAM, it's never reaching 8GB. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,618 Trailblazer
    Options
    @Sushant_ >>>I am starting to doubt the genuineness of my Predator as I bought it online, in December 2017.>>>>

Or maybe it's simply a lemon. Try to get an RMA from the vendor as defective for a refund or replacement. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Sushant_ said:

JackE said:
    I suggest that you also google "the memory could not be read" with the quotes. Ending RAM consuming-processes that aren't being used and  increasing vm on your SSD might help if you don't wanna spring for more RAM. Jack E/NJ

A youtube video suggested to run the command  "sfc /scannow" and claimed it'll fix the errors. Will check if it works and let you know
    All that command does is run a system check for Windows file integrity. As for the laptop, this is likely a driver issue. I would attempt downloading IObit Driver Boost and using it to update all drivers. If this does not work, Reset your laptop using the 'Reset this PC' option. If that don't work, then its a lemon as @JackE said and you should just RMA it. Likely the RAM and/or dGPU is going bad.

And they advised turning down graphics settings because if it is a hardware issue, it would still likely crash with low graphics. If it did not, it could still be a hardware issue, but would let us know where to focus on attempting to fix the issue.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Sushant_
    Options
    Sushant_ said:

JackE said:
    I suggest that you also google "the memory could not be read" with the quotes. Ending RAM consuming-processes that aren't being used and  increasing vm on your SSD might help if you don't wanna spring for more RAM. Jack E/NJ

A youtube video suggested to run the command  "sfc /scannow" and claimed it'll fix the errors. Will check if it works and let you know
    All that command does is run a system check for Windows file integrity. As for the laptop, this is likely a driver issue. I would attempt downloading IObit Driver Boost and using it to update all drivers. If this does not work, Reset your laptop using the 'Reset this PC' option. If that don't work, then its a lemon as @JackE said and you should just RMA it. Likely the RAM and/or dGPU is going bad.

And they advised turning down graphics settings because if it is a hardware issue, it would still likely crash with low graphics. If it did not, it could still be a hardware issue, but would let us know where to focus on attempting to fix the issue.

Skelo
    I have just reset my PC, back to the factory conditions. I'll install the games and check once again.
    I really hope it's not a #Lemon. Fingers Crossed :(
  • Sushant_
    edited April 2018
    Options

UPDATE

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys! The problem, as pointed out by @ven98, @Skelomorph, and many others, was about corrupt drivers.
    After I reset my PC to it's factory settings and updated the drivers, I now see why this laptop is a gaming beast! Amazing performances, no lag, but a little too hot on heavy games. (CPU: ~75C to ~86C and GPU: less than 75C at all times) 

My suggestion to anybody facing game crashes is:
    • Update the drivers
    • Install the support softwares like DirectX and Visual C++ Redistributable
    • Undervolt your CPU if too hot
    • Re-install games 
    But if even on doing all these things, games still crash, (like they did for me) then just RESET your PC! Fixes all problems.

• If all else fails, then get external help.

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sushant_ said:

UPDATE

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys! The problem, as pointed out by @ven98, @Skelomorph, and many others, was about corrupt drivers.
    After I reset my PC to it's factory settings and updated the drivers, I now see why this laptop is a gaming beast! Amazing performances, no lag, but a little too hot on heavy games. (CPU: ~75C to ~86C and GPU: less than 75C at all times) 

My suggestion to anybody facing game crashes is:
    • Update the drivers
    • Install the support softwares like DirectX and Visual C++ Redistributable
    • Undervolt your CPU if too hot
    • Re-install games 
    But if even on doing all these things, games still crash, (like they did for me) then just RESET your PC! Fixes all problems.

• If all else fails, then get external help.

Glad you got it working. The simplest way to fix problems is to Reset Windows, but it requires setting up the whole laptop and reinstalling drivers/programs/games. However, this a pretty much 100% way to test if the problem is software or hardware related.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Sushant_
    Options
    It definitely is a long process, but a process worth it! <3  
  • xman1
    xman1 Member Posts: 41 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Might have had some Malware on your system too.  You should scan for that next time before you take a dramatic step like you did.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,618 Trailblazer
    Options
    @xman1 Good point. I usually use the standalone Stinger when things don't seem right. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Sushant_
    Options
    xman1 said:
    Might have had some Malware on your system too.  You should scan for that next time before you take a dramatic step like you did.
    I thought the same. But Windows Defender was all chilled out. 'Your PC is Protected' (Yeah, right.) 
    Scan showed no threats, and so I had no option, but to take the last resort.
  • asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    use anti malware software like malwarebytes or something like that..windows defender doesn't remove malware
  • ven98
    Options
    You don't need a dedicated software for malwares, as windows already has one. It is called malicious software removal tool(MSRT) and to run this tool type 'mrt' in RUN. I don't know how well it does the job, but I don't think it will perform worse than a 3rd party software.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    ven98 right...
  • varun988
    varun988 Member Posts: 31 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    as far the cpu heating issue,i tried one option and it worked well!!!! the solution is!!
    go to the power option and select the desired power settings and select  change settings and afterwards select advance settings and select processor power management.underthat select maximum processor power and adjust the settings for battery nd plugged in
    u can give any percentage but not less than minimum processor power level.
    if u gave 75%power the cpu temps never goes beyond 70c
    for my laptop i entered the settings as 90% in power saver mode
    adjusting this disables the turbo boost and hence the cpu heat dissipiation
    for me my cpu temps never goes beyond 75c after adjusting the % to 90%