Windows could not automatically detect this networks proxy settings error, CANT FIX! P-G3-571

Options
mattf0124
mattf0124 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
    Title says it all, was suddenly getting awful internet speeds (have never totally lost internet) tried reinstalling drivers and it got slightly better, ran the trouble shooter and got the "Windows could not automatically detect this networks proxy settings" error, hit up google and have tried everything I can find and or think of sans a full OS reset, figured I'd make one more plea for help before I do that.

I've rest intenet settings, checked the proxy settings, have run several variations of the netsh in the command prompt as admin, reset router and network switch,.......after doing the driver reinstall my speeds got better, but randomly when going to a new site I get system hangs of say 3-30 seconds......that has never been the case before this. I have attempted several system restore and they all fail, I have disabled anti virus and they still fail, I have run many scans, rootkit scans, safe mode scans.....always clean, any other ideas sans starting over with a clean install? None of my other systems have this issue. Thanks!

Only odd thing I can think of that could have caused this is I plugged in an old cheap USB Network adapter in briefly to verify the adapter worked, soon after doing that is when I noticed the issue. Before the driver reinstall, my Gigabit internet package was hitting well below 1 Mb on speedtest, if it would run at all, most times I got a Failed  Ping test error and it wouldn't run, that when I reinstalled drivers and things got better, but still far from right, especially on wifi.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,575 Trailblazer
    Options
    @mattf0124 >>>I reinstalled drivers and things got better>>>

From the ACER site? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mattf0124
    Options
    JackE said:
    @mattf0124 >>>I reinstalled drivers and things got better>>>

From the ACER site? Jack E/NJ

From the Acer site, model specific support page, things got better, but its not fixed, the error shows still and more importantly internet performance is far from optimal, pretty much every site I visit it hangs waiting for it to respond for over a minute in extreme cases 10-15 seconds is the norm....a far cry from what it should be.

• JackE
    Options
    Have you tried to uninstall the driver but NOT manually re-install?  Then cold re-boot and let Windows automatically re-detect and re-install the best  driver to which it has only local disk access to. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mattf0124
    Options
    I thought about that, though when in device manager, there are a LOT of things in there....and not sure what do there, is that normal or perhaps the problem? Attached an image of what I get in DM 
  • JackE
    Options
    Note the Atheros current version. Then uninstall it. Reboot and see if Windows installs the same version. Then test it in any case. Report back. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• mattf0124
    Options
    I di, same version, same problem.
  • mattf0124
    Options
    Another wrinkle, if I uninstall Intel Proset, performance is absolutely awful, speedtest  gives latency errors, and in the odd chance it runs, it never goes above 20Mb,and upload often fails outright....if I install it, I get inconsistent speeds, but will go up to 3-400 mb

• JackE
    Options
    @mattf0124 >>>was suddenly getting awful internet speeds>>>Only odd thing I can think of that could have caused this is I plugged in an old cheap USB Network adapter in briefly to verify the adapter worked, soon after doing that is when I noticed the issue. Before the driver reinstall, >>>

Cheap USB adapter probably only a coincidence. How long ago was "suddenly"? If in the last few weeks, search for an auto Win10update "restore point" immediately preceding the date when the trouble started. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mattf0124
    edited April 2018
    Options
    JackE said:
    @mattf0124 >>>was suddenly getting awful internet speeds>>>Only odd thing I can think of that could have caused this is I plugged in an old cheap USB Network adapter in briefly to verify the adapter worked, soon after doing that is when I noticed the issue. Before the driver reinstall, >>>

Cheap USB adapter probably only a coincidence. How long ago was "suddenly"? If in the last few weeks, search for an auto Win10update "restore point" immediately preceding the date when the trouble started. Jack E/NJ

It's been going on for 3 or 4 days now,System restore was one of the first things I tried I tried , every time I run windows restore it fails, hence all the virus scanning and removal and disabling of anti virus to no avail. Scans all come clean, I've run system restore at least 7 times, likely more, and when it restarts I get a message saying it couldn't complete, and to try disabling anti virus software......driving me crazy...

• JackE
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Even if disabled, do you still have any non-Microsoft anti-malware installed on the machine? One other thing I keep forgetting to ask. Does the Atheros wifi device driver have a rollback option dsiplayed? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• mattf0124
    Options
    I do not, I use Malwarebytes and Windows defender, uninstalled Malwarebytes and disabled Windows defender and restore still fails. The driver rollback option is greyed out and unusable.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>restore>>>couldn't complete>>>

Yeah, this is troubling because it might mean a factory reset won't complete either. One community user felt the failures might be due to how the partitions were ordered on the disk. Maybe not consistent with what restore or recovery functions expect? Out of curiosity, how are your partitions ordered in Disk Mgt? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mattf0124
    Options
    Fresh screenshot 
  • JackE
    Options
    Let me try to get the other community user to take a look at this. Stay tuned. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mattf0124
    Options
    Thanks you so much for your efforts, they are greatly appreciated.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,119 Trailblazer
    Options
    mattf0124 said:
    Thanks you so much for your efforts, they are greatly appreciated.

Hi,
    Could you please try this driver version 12.0.0.448 and let us know, after installing the driver try a different DNS address, open Network & Internet settings, click Change  adapter options, right click the WiFi, click Properties, highlight IPV4 and click Properties, change the DNS address as in my snip and see whether it helps.
    http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=3227&lang=en

• mattf0124
    Options
    No joy, installed the driver and the error was still there, ran a speed test and finally got my normal download result, 1MS ping and around 450 download, however upload was under 1mbps......ran it again and I got a 66 ms ping, DL was 166, and up was 66......I then made the changes you showed, restarted ,same error and I cant run speed test at all, latency error everytime before I even start the test, its pretty much behaving as it does when I uninstalled Intel Proset.....think my only option is a clean install......moreso than fixing the issue as it stands, I want to know the how and why so I don't get it again....the constant error, wonky internet, restore not working....makes me think I've got something on my machine I don't want, but no idea how it could have gotten there....
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,119 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    Give this a try before the clean install, type cmd at start, right click and select Run as Admin, type  ipconfig /flushdns  press enter.
  • mattf0124
    Options
    Hi,
    Give this a try before the clean install, type cmd at start, right click and select Run as Admin, type  ipconfig /flushdns  press enter.

No change, same error in the troubleshooter, and same wonky internet performance.
  • mattf0124
    Options
    Possible new clue, I went and changed my DNS setting back to default, tried running speed test which has reused to run, and have a new error, probably newly discovered is more apt....