How to install Linux on Spin 1 (Apollo Lake)?

Options
thebittenpach
thebittenpach Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives
Hello friends,

I have been having problems with booting and installing linux on my SP113-31 type of Acer Spin 1 with Intel N4200 Apollo Lake.

I had problems with just booting the USB to get to the (Ubuntu) installer but then I made it work (set Trust and enabled Network Boot) and somehow I got to the point where the Ubuntu was installing and everything went fine until the last sector of the installation - which was Installing grub2 package. It's stuck and won't move an inch.

I was installing the Linux as clean - which means I deleted Windows.

So after days of searching the internet, forums, asking questions and many failed attempts, I have decided to go back to Windows 10 - going back was easy - no errors.

But, I am still unsatisfied with Windows, as it is such a slow and enormous OS which takes both too much RAM and Disk space.

So I am asking if anyone has figured out how to install Ubuntu on this laptop? I know there are some topics about the isorespin and rEFInd (because, obviously, the UEFI of the laptop just doesn't support grub for some reason).

I don't care if I do dual boot or remove Windows entirely, all I want is better OS, which is in my opinion Linux. 

I seriously hope that this thread will be the last one that any user of Spin 1 will have to go through to finally SUCCESSFULLY install the Linux.

Answers