Linux and Apollo Lake processors (Spin1 etc.)

Options
padgett
padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives

Been working with another thread but this seems more appropriate. Did not know Acer had a Linux group.

Have used various Unix and Linux distros over the years but not recently & currently have a lot more knowledge about Windows.

That said there are quite a few devices out there, many from Acer, with 32GB non-upgradable SSDs that are not really suited to Windows 10.

Have use KALI in the past so is my preferred distro but initial attempts were a disaster. Once past the "Security Boot Fail" (create system password, erase securite booting) all I could do was a few flashes on the thumb drive LED and a white dot in the upper left corner of the display.

Then I found that the current Manjero Linux would boot and the problem is with GRUB 2.02 on Apollo Lake processors which among others is the entire Spin1 line. Apparently Manjero uses GRUB 2.03 which is fixed. Then I found  rEFInd as described here. Downloaded the Ubuntu Gnome. Create the USB, Modified the EFI directory. Boots to menu but on selection cannot find vmlinuz.efi.

I suspect the problem is here:

menuentry "Try Ubuntu GNOME" {
     loader  /casper/vmlinuz.efi
     options "file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-gnome.seed boot=casper quiet splash ---"
     initrd    /casper/initrd.lz  

Have been trying a number of things but none have worked. Any idea how to fix ? Obviously there is no CDROM.

Best Answers

• padgett
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just downloaded the latest weekly build of Kali (debian based) 2018-W09 and can boot on Spin 1 (Apollo Lake). Adding bootx64.efi file to UEFI now gives Kali menu but fails on selection when a different file is called. Turning UEFI off (erase store in BIOS) and full boot from USB to Live image succeeds.

• padgett
    Answer ✓
    Options

Can add another Linux that does not boot on Apollo Lake: Endless OS 3.3.11.1 Live on USB. Is apparently Debian Based.

So far I have only been able to boot Manjaro 17.1.6 and Kali (2018-W09 weekly build)

• Dome
    Dome Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options
    padgett said:
    Hello Padgett, forgive the English, I have the same notebook acer s 1, you managed to solve with the installation of Kali, you can help me, thanks.

Can add another Linux that does not boot on Apollo Lake: Endless OS 3.3.11.1 Live on USB. Is apparently Debian Based.

So far I have only been able to boot Manjaro 17.1.6 and Kali (2018-W09 weekly build)

• padgett
    Answer ✓
    Options
    OK both the 2018-2 (April) Kali and the 18.04 Ubuntu now boot on a Spin 1.
  • padgett
    Answer ✓
    Options
    2018-2 Kali just came out on the 30th.

Answers

• padgett
    Options

Well still at the point where Manjaro is the only Linux that will boot on my Spin1/Apollo Lake/N3350 while other distros like Kali on the same USB stick and with the same UEFI added file (Bootx64) will load just fine on my R11/Braswell/N3700 which is the earlier version of the same platform. Both have InsyteH20 BIOSes with the same command set but "something" is different. Only real difference is 3350 is 2-core while 3700 is 4 core. Both are 64-bit capable and are running the same Windows 10-64 1709.

Ideas are welcome.

ps have gotten a menu to display with refind but no load. Manjaro is 4.14 kernel as is Kali 2018-1. Do not know the GRUB version.

• padgett
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just downloaded the latest weekly build of Kali (debian based) 2018-W09 and can boot on Spin 1 (Apollo Lake). Adding bootx64.efi file to UEFI now gives Kali menu but fails on selection when a different file is called. Turning UEFI off (erase store in BIOS) and full boot from USB to Live image succeeds.

• padgett
    Answer ✓
    Options

• Dome
    Dome Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options
    padgett said:
    Hello Padgett, forgive the English, I have the same notebook acer s 1, you managed to solve with the installation of Kali, you can help me, thanks.

• padgett
    Answer ✓
    Options
    OK both the 2018-2 (April) Kali and the 18.04 Ubuntu now boot on a Spin 1.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    I think @CupOfTea already reported that on April 13th.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/539832
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    Answer ✓
    Options
    2018-2 Kali just came out on the 30th.