Wifi drops when I am using my laptop - ( AN515-42 )

Options
2»

Answers

• Choadism
    Choadism Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I have the same problem as OP.  I have the same laptop and while gaming I'll momentarily lose connection (long enough to lose sync and ruin games for all involved).  Is there a real fix for this?

On another note when connecting airpods I they lose connection and I have to restart bluetooth.  Touching the mouse pad also makes the screen go black at times.  

I certainly wouldn't recommend getting an ACER laptop, especially if you're a gamer. 
  • Clemente
    Clemente Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
  • Jimster480
    Jimster480 Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I fixed it by getting a USB wifi adapter and leaving it in all the time.
    I wonder if its possible to purchase another wifi module and upgrade the laptop to that one?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    @Jimster480, you have posted to several different threads with the same question, but in none of them did you say what computer model you have. Please start a new thread, include the computer model you have and we will try to answer the question.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jimster480
    Options
    I have the same model as this thread. AN515-42
    The problem isn't fixable by any moderator here on the forum. I was the first person in the USA to have one of these laptops and the problems are the same since day one.
    The wifi adapter is just a pile of junk and its well known to be one from other mfg's that have used it.
    It cannot handle any load whatsoever and the card itself overheats and drops your wifi and packets. Therefore the laptop requires an external wifi card in order to be useful for anything other than basic web browsing as even HD video can cause the wifi to drop from day one.
    In time the more times you overheat the wifi card the worse it will get and as these forums show; there are failures in the field with these cards.

Acer should offer an upgrade card that us owners can purchase to fix this problem once and for all.

I haven't been able to find any information about acer restricting the use of other wifi cards to replace the original, as I was considering purchasing another card on ebay and testing it out.
  • billsey
    edited November 2019
    Options
    There have been many SKUs of the AN515-42 model (I see about 20 in my search), usually for different locales but also for different components. It looks like mot SKUs us an M.2 wireless module with two antennas, which means you should be able to swap it out with another. Make sure you get the proper module for your locale, different places around the world use different frequencies. I'm using a Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 in my Switch 7 and it works quite well. I'd stay away from 802.11AX devices still, they're a little new for consumer use.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jimster480
    Options
    billsey said:
    There have been many SKUs of the AN515-42 model (I see about 20 in my search), usually for different locales but also for different components. It looks like mot SKUs us an M.2 wireless module with two antennas, which means you should be able to swap it out with another. Make sure you get the proper module for your locale, different places around the world use different frequencies. I'm using a Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 in my Switch 7 and it works quite well. I'd stay away from 802.11AX devices still, they're a little new for consumer use.

I will order one of those and see if it works out for me.
    My model is Ryzen 5 2500U w/ RX560X & 256G M.2 SSD & 8G Ram
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    The problem isn't fixable by any moderator here on the forum. I was the first person in the USA to have one of these laptops and the problems are the same since day one.
    The wifi adapter is just a pile of junk and its well known to be one from other mfg's that have used it.
    It cannot handle any load whatsoever and the card itself overheats and drops your wifi and packets. Therefore the laptop requires an external wifi card in order to be useful for anything other than basic web browsing as even HD video can cause the wifi to drop from day one.
    In time the more times you overheat the wifi card the worse it will get and as these forums show; there are failures in the field with these cards.

Acer should offer an upgrade card that us owners can purchase to fix this problem once and for all.

I haven't been able to find any information about acer restricting the use of other wifi cards to replace the original, as I was considering purchasing another card on ebay and testing it out.

I also have this model and I have no wifi problems whatsoever

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Jimster480
    Options
    andylb said:

What do you use your laptop for? The wifi card itself has known issues, there is no way to "not have any issues whatsoever" as literally every model of laptop that comes with this qualcomm wireless card has the same issues regardless of which vendor.
    You can only use this card for web browsing and other light tasks, it will overheat when used for heavy tasks and drop packets.
    Therefore online gaming is useless and large file downloads will experience the same problems.
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    Options
    andylb said:

What do you use your laptop for? The wifi card itself has known issues, there is no way to "not have any issues whatsoever" as literally every model of laptop that comes with this qualcomm wireless card has the same issues regardless of which vendor.
    You can only use this card for web browsing and other light tasks, it will overheat when used for heavy tasks and drop packets.
    Therefore online gaming is useless and large file downloads will experience the same problems.

I browse the net and play online multiplayer Scourge of war Waterloo and I can assure you that I have owned my laptop since February 2018 and I have experienced ZERO wifi problems. I don't understand why you insist I have problems that I don't have. I don't have wifi problems Full Stop

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Jimster480
    Options
    andylb said:
    andylb said:

I browse the net and play online multiplayer Scourge of war Waterloo and I can assure you that I have owned my laptop since February 2018 and I have experienced ZERO wifi problems. I don't understand why you insist I have problems that I don't have. I don't have wifi problems Full Stop

Maybe you are just the lucky 1 in a million to not have issues. I personally went to the store and tested out more nitros and other laptops with the same wifi card and was able to repeat the problem on every single machine with this same wifi card.
    I've also had the laptop since release and I ran into issues with Heros of the Storm and sometimes Overwatch (depending on router), it really depends on how many packets the game sends at once.
    In MMO games with tons of packets the wifi card will choke, playing a game like Brawlhalla doesn't cause the problem. So it may be that this game (especially it being an older game) might not send enough packets to overheat the wifi chip.
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    Options
    andylb said:
    andylb said:

Maybe you are just the lucky 1 in a million to not have issues. I personally went to the store and tested out more nitros and other laptops with the same wifi card and was able to repeat the problem on every single machine with this same wifi card.
    I've also had the laptop since release and I ran into issues with Heros of the Storm and sometimes Overwatch (depending on router), it really depends on how many packets the game sends at once.
    In MMO games with tons of packets the wifi card will choke, playing a game like Brawlhalla doesn't cause the problem. So it may be that this game (especially it being an older game) might not send enough packets to overheat the wifi chip.

Scourge of war probably isn't as intensive as those games, it is strategy based not very intense graphics  so low packets

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• billsey
    Options
    I wonder if those issues are more heat related than packet numbers. In most cases with 802.11ac the WiFi bandwidth is higher than the Internet pipe itself, so the card shouldn't be maxed out...
  • Jimster480
    Options
    billsey said:
    I wonder if those issues are more heat related than packet numbers. In most cases with 802.11ac the WiFi bandwidth is higher than the Internet pipe itself, so the card shouldn't be maxed out...

The card overheats.... Packets heat up the card, even if its not alot of throughput.
    I can easily crash the card just downloading some files at 200mbit, without the laptop getting hot in the slightest.
  • Lionel74
    Lionel74 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2020
    Options
    billsey said:

The card overheats.... Packets heat up the card, even if its not alot of throughput.
    I can easily crash the card just downloading some files at 200mbit, without the laptop getting hot in the slightest.
    Hi,
    I have this nitro 5 from 1 week now and since day 1, I have the same wifi issue, playing Escape from Tarkov. Have you more information now ?
  • Arturito
    Arturito Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    In my case I determine first the wireless band capability of my router then mirrored it on my wifi adapter settings.
    Never encountered the same problem again.

Goodluck guys!
  • SantyScio
    SantyScio Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    A solution that i´ve found on my own is putting the Nitro Sense power plan on Power save. In the praxis i have a little bit of lower fps on games but my wifi is stable so at least i can play.