Linux Install on Acer Predator Helios 300 (G3-571)

Options
2»

Answers

• tastebin
    tastebin Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I am  fighting with this issues since yesterday in the morning. Best Notebook - Worst UEFI. I will try this now^^ Plan is dual boot : Windows + Kali Linux

VM is no option for my daily use. at this moment i have xp, 7, 8.1, fedora and kali in machines. but for kali is an full install the better way.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    What exactly are you fighting trying to install Kali alongside Win10? Do you get an error trying to boot from the installation media, whatever the media is? Is it an iso on a GPT partitioned FAT32 installation stick? Is it a DVD installation disk? What? I have no idea what you're trying now because I have no idea what you've tried before or are trying now. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tastebin
    tastebin Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    hdd0 was windows. hdd1 first 50% should be linux. hdd0 is just 256gb so indecided to split my second hdd. i tried rufus win32disimager, etcher and (lol) DVD bios dont show hdd1 before starting kali installer. dont ask why^^ kali installer let me install, should mean i can change etc.partition but all the way whe i boot hdd1 wont boot. i am no newbie. but this i kill my nuts^^
  • twothreefive
    twothreefive Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    Options
    Try these steps once you have a bootable linux disk - works with ubuntu:

1. Restart with USB Stick
    2. Press F12 to enter menu
    3. IMPORTANT: Press e. At the end of the line linux /casper.... add: --- nouveau.modeset=0
    4. Press F10
    5. Click on the install icon on the desktop
    6. Follow instructions, be aware of the partitions. Select the default boot with Windows mode
    7. Restart and remove USB stick
    8. Now you should see Ubuntu and Windows options
    9. Update Kernel to the latest kernal
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ukuu
    open ukuu and install latest kernal 
    Restart
  • JackE
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Please show images of BIOS Information & Boot tabs if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dirn
    dirn Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    You should be OK with a Ubuntu dual boot configuration along side Windows. Follow these steps. Keep the UEFI bootstrapper --- Do  NOT try to configure to Legacy mode or you won't have dual boot capability. Jack E/NJ

( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation.
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.
    (13) If desired, put grubx64.efi ahead of Windows boot manager in UEFI bootstrapper

Thank you so much. Steps provided by you works like charm.

The laptop that I bought comes with two drives
    1. 256 GB ssd
    2. 1 TB hdd

By default, Ubuntu installer couldn't detect the SSD drive. In this case, I need to change disk setting in BIOS to AHCI. Once done then only I'm able to set / to partition created in SSD. Now I no longer need to use F12 to switch OS. GRUB successfully appear with the OS list.

Check the answer from heynnema. I'm using option #2
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1127505/ssd-not-detected-during-ubuntu-installation/1127541#1127541?newreg=275ce457e67c4d55bf6612a5931e047b
  • JackE
    Options
    dirn  Thanks for your report. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HarshV9
    HarshV9 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    You can go through this youtube video, to install ubuntu alongside windows.

https://youtu.be/vl0g-3D5xds