• drngoc
    drngoc Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    flux said:
    drngoc said:
    flux schrieb:
    Oh my days... I still get it again :/
    Yesterday I use my laptop until 50% battery. Today I start from 50% and have been browsing for about one hour when I get the problem. Only USB wireless mouse is attached.
    Hello @brummyfan2 do you have any other suggestions? Is it safe to downgrade BIOS? However I am not sure how to do it.
    Thanks before

Have you tried without updating the graphics driver? For me, the Radeon driver was installed by default after the reset and I didn't do another update.
    I only see one graphic driver on support & driver webpage from Acer and that is the only one I use. Haven't tried to uninstall the amd driver completely and see how it goes with microsoft generic driver but with generic driver I cannot control the backlight and screen will go to max brightness. I think I will try to replace the unit on where I buy it.
    In my country this laptop does not have variant that comes with Windows 10 so there is no recovery feature like you have :/
    Sorry, I think I have caused some confusion. It’s not the generic driver that is installed. When I did the fatory reset via the “Acer Care Center” app it installed a Radoen driver, the Crimson ReLive 17.7. I think it is the same one from the support website.

Before all that happened I managed to install one of the newest 18... drivers. Therefore, I downloaded the offline installer version. But I don’t remember exactly, what I did …
  • flux
    flux Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Aum said:
    So i managed to rollback the BIOS to 1.03, and that seems to have stabilized the machine a bit more. Under v1.04 it was crashing all the time, but with v1.03 it has only crashed once, so far.
    Hi @Aum, how did you manage to rollback to 1.03? Did you just install the 1.03 directly from Windows then reboot?
  • Aum
    Aum Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 2018
    Options
    No, if you try installing directly, it will say something like, "..a newer bios is installed." So, you have to skip that version check. Run the v1.03 .exe file and when you get that message, don't close it.. keep the app open. Go to the Windows temp (/users/*/AppData/local/temp) directory, and search for the files from the most recently created directory (Sort by Date). Copy the files to another folder, say on your Desktop. Now you can close the BIOS app. Open platform.ini, and look under [Bios_Version_Check]. It should read flag=1, change it to flag=0. Save changes and run the BIOS application. The .exe should be named H2OFFT-W.
  • Aum

Tinkerer

edited March 2018
    Options
    in the temp directory, the folder should start with '7z....' otherwise you may have to do a bit of digging. Alternatively, you can extract the files from the Acer BIOS .exe using 7-zip, but when i did that, it threw up a warning. So that's why i went digging in the temp dir.
  • flux
    Options
    Aum said:
    No, if you try installing directly, it will say something like, "..a newer bios is installed." So, you have to skip that version check. Run the v1.03 .exe file and when you get that message, don't close it.. keep the app open. Go to the Windows temp (/users/*/AppData/local/temp) directory, and search for the files from the most recently created directory (Sort by Date). Copy the files to another folder, say on your Desktop. Now you can close the BIOS app. Open platform.ini, and look under [Bios_Version_Check]. It should read flag=1, change it to flag=0. Save changes and run the BIOS application. The .exe should be named H2OFFT-W.
    Thanks for sharing. At least I am sure this issue is not because of defect that I got in my product but also affects other users. Just googling the Ryzen 5 2500U driver and I found that this similar problem is reported on HP model as well. I hope AMD and laptop manufacturer would release the fix soon. However I am glad and I like this AMD ACER product very much :)
  • ajm
    ajm Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    I couldn't stand it and returned it to the store.  Hopefully they will get the message if enough people return them.
  • Ecip
    Ecip Member Posts: 84 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Seems clear to me that this is a BIOS issue... I'm on 1.0.3 and the laptop is running flawlessly. Played games, edited photos, and so on and so forth. No crashes.

Acer has got to get the point that there is a problem with their v1.0.4 BIOS and fix it immediately. Anything less is unacceptable, and if I had this issue I'd most certainly also return the product to the store and look at different brands.
  • Aum

Tinkerer

Options
    Ecip said:
    Seems clear to me that this is a BIOS issue... I'm on 1.0.3 and the laptop is running flawlessly. Played games, edited photos, and so on and so forth. No crashes.

Acer has got to get the point that there is a problem with their v1.0.4 BIOS and fix it immediately. Anything less is unacceptable, and if I had this issue I'd most certainly also return the product to the store and look at different brands.
    I think i might have it running stable in v1.04. Other posts in this thread mentioned uninstalling graphic drivers and then letting Windows Update take care of it thru Device Manager. That didn't work automatically. Had to revert to Windows Update Catalog and do the process manually. You have to force install Vega 8 drivers.. that seems to be the only solution at the moment (until official driver update).
  • Aum

Tinkerer

Options
    So far, stable in BIOS v1.04 with updated drivers on Acer's website. Will post here if anything changes.
  • flux
    Options
    Aum said:
    Ecip said:

I think i might have it running stable in v1.04. Other posts in this thread mentioned uninstalling graphic drivers and then letting Windows Update take care of it thru Device Manager. That didn't work automatically. Had to revert to Windows Update Catalog and do the process manually. You have to force install Vega 8 drivers.. that seems to be the only solution at the moment (until official driver update).
    Hi @Aum, pardon me for a moment, could you please elaborate what do you mean by not working automatically? Also how to revert to Windows Update Catalog and do the process manually to force install Vega 8 drivers?

My experience is when using USB devices such as mouse or transferring data between internal and external hard drive, the crash is more frequent.
    Last time I tried to uninstall the graphic driver from device manager, by right click then choose uninstall. The driver revert to generic but after reboot it is back to AMD Vega driver automatically without me installing it again. I found that the laptop is more stable after reboot, I can finish transferring Gigabytes of data. That is not possible for me before I did the uninstall and reboot.
  • flux
    Options
    Yes, I see that all drivers have just been updated and released on 20 March 2018. Will try it soon
  • flux
    Options
    So far so good, with new and updated driver haven't got the crash.
    I am still aware but now it is usable :)
  • Mpegleris
    Mpegleris Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hello ppl! I don't have any problem with my 2500u version. BUT after updating @ 1.04 bios I see many negatively benchmark numbers in comparison with 1.03 Are there someone who knows what including with 1.04? Is there any spectre/meltdown patch there? Thank you for your answers =)
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options
    I really do not know what is in the BIOS releases, I suspect that you would need to ask Insyde. https://www.insyde.com/products
  • Prasanna
    Prasanna Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options
    flux said:
    Oh my days... I still get it again :/
    Yesterday I use my laptop until 50% battery. Today I start from 50% and have been browsing for about one hour when I get the problem. Only USB wireless mouse is attached.
    Hello @brummyfan2 do you have any other suggestions? Is it safe to downgrade BIOS? However I am not sure how to do it.
    Thanks before

• Prasanna
    Prasanna Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I m using swift 3,ryzen 5 variant.I did face problems with system crashes occasionally,latest video driver provided in Acer website seems to create this,but I ve tried an old driver from the very same website and  it did solve all my problems atleast for some time,give it try may be solve your problem.The old driver is around 560 MB,new one  around 360 MB.