SF315-41 (Ryzen 7) crashes repeatedly since BIOS-Update to v1.0.4

drngoc
drngoc Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hey there,

Since I have updated my BIOS to v1.0.4 three days ago, my laptop is crashing all the time.

What happens?
  1. Everything freezes.
  2. Display is turning into a one-color-background (assumingly the color of the last active window).
  3. After 30-60 seconds reboot.

Any idea? Or maybe someone with the same Laptop-BIOS-Combo and the same or similar problem?

Best regards,
drngoc

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi,
    Did you check the Event viewer for any messages? Anyway, try a battery reset, switch off the laptop, disconnect Ac adapter, follow the instructions in the video, leave the laptop to rest for 15-20 Mins before starting again.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    drngoc 

Press hold the power button for 10 seconds, disconnect the charger. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds to reset the computer. it simulates removing and reinstalling the battery. Connect the charger and power On the device to check the issue.
    Also, you may get to the BIOS screen, reset it to default settings and save it to check the issue.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    drngoc 

Press hold the power button for 10 seconds, disconnect the charger. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds to reset the computer. it simulates removing and reinstalling the battery. Connect the charger and power On the device to check the issue.
    Also, you may get to the BIOS screen, reset it to default settings and save it to check the issue.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• drngoc

Tinkerer

@brummyfan2 @Sharanji

Thank you for sharing that battery reset procedure. This did not solve the problem, but I learnt something new from it anyway.

I reset the Laptop this weekend and since then the problem has been gone.
  • flux
    flux Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    edited March 2018
    Hi I am also using the Acer Swift 3 but with Ryzen 5 version. I have same problem like you @drngoc.
    I use the same BIOS v1.04 and get random freeze then reboot but I cannot verify with older BIOS version because since I get this laptop and installed Win 10, I updated the BIOS immediately.

I have tried to update my Win 10 and try to delete and reinstall all drivers but still get that random freeze then reboot problem.
    From what I observe it seems if I plugged-in USB device like wireless mouse or external HDD, this random freeze is more frequent.
    But even without USB plugged-in I still get the problem but not as frequent as when I plug USB devices.

I also have reset the battery with the paper clip but still I get the problem.

@drngoc How you reset the laptop as you mentioned? Is it factory reset?
    @brummyfan2 I have checked windows log event viewer and I see many errors related to DistributedCOM Event ID 10016, do you think this has something to do with the problem? Is there any way to downgrade the BIOS so I can test with previous BIOS version?

Thanks
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi  @flux @drngoc
    Go to Device manager, expand Display adapters, highlight and right click the graphics card, click Properties, uninstall the driver in Driver tab, reboot and let Windows install the driver.
  • drngoc

Tinkerer

flux said:
    @drngoc How you reset the laptop as you mentioned? Is it factory reset?
    Yep, I used the reset from the Acer Care Center app.
  • drngoc

Tinkerer

Hi  @flux @drngoc
    Go to Device manager, expand Display adapters, highlight and right click the graphics card, click Properties, uninstall the driver in Driver tab, reboot and let Windows install the driver.
    This makes sense. With resetting the whole system the drivers were reset, too. Maybe it really was an issue wirh the graphics driver.
  • brummyfan2
    drngoc said:
    Hi  @flux @drngoc
    This makes sense. With resetting the whole system the drivers were reset, too. Maybe it really was an issue wirh the graphics driver.

Hi,
    Yes, Windows automatic update causes many problems.
  • flux
    Hi  @flux @drngoc
    Hi @brummyfan2, I've tried your suggestion. I encountered a dialog window prompt with checkbox to uninstall software driver. At first try I tick the checkbox and windows revert my display driver to generic driver.

I decided to reinstall my windows for clean state and let windows check for update first. Once I make sure my windows are already up to date, I check the windows installed update driver and it lists AMD SMbus and AMD GPIO driver. Then I proceed to install AMD Radeon Driver which is official from Acer website but I do not install the AMD SMbus and AMD GPIO since it has been installed by windows.

Tried to do some work on my laptop and still get the freeze reboot problem.

I tried your suggestion again but this time without ticking the remove software driver. After uninstall the screen resolution goes lower as indication that the device is uninstalled, then reboot the computer and the screen automatically back to its native resolution. Check the device manager and AMD vega driver listed automatically, open up AMD Radeon Settings and its settings revert to default.

Then I do some work related with USB devices, transferring data between external and internal HDD, plugged-in wireless mouse and browsing as usual.
    Wow it has been more than one hour and it seems stable now! Previously I never managed to get this long runtime except if I unplugged USB devices. Haven't got the freeze reboot problem as I write it.

Thank you so much, hope Acer will release the fix and help many users out there :)
  • brummyfan2
    flux said:
    Hi  @flux @drngoc
    Hi @brummyfan2, I've tried your suggestion. I encountered a dialog window prompt with checkbox to uninstall software driver. At first try I tick the checkbox and windows revert my display driver to generic driver.

I decided to reinstall my windows for clean state and let windows check for update first. Once I make sure my windows are already up to date, I check the windows installed update driver and it lists AMD SMbus and AMD GPIO driver. Then I proceed to install AMD Radeon Driver which is official from Acer website but I do not install the AMD SMbus and AMD GPIO since it has been installed by windows.

Tried to do some work on my laptop and still get the freeze reboot problem.

I tried your suggestion again but this time without ticking the remove software driver. After uninstall the screen resolution goes lower as indication that the device is uninstalled, then reboot the computer and the screen automatically back to its native resolution. Check the device manager and AMD vega driver listed automatically, open up AMD Radeon Settings and its settings revert to default.

Then I do some work related with USB devices, transferring data between external and internal HDD, plugged-in wireless mouse and browsing as usual.
    Wow it has been more than one hour and it seems stable now! Previously I never managed to get this long runtime except if I unplugged USB devices. Haven't got the freeze reboot problem as I write it.

Thank you so much, hope Acer will release the fix and help many users out there :)
    Hi,
    You are welcome :)  glad you got it sorted.
  • flux
    Oh my days... I still get it again :/
    Yesterday I use my laptop until 50% battery. Today I start from 50% and have been browsing for about one hour when I get the problem. Only USB wireless mouse is attached.
    Hello @brummyfan2 do you have any other suggestions? Is it safe to downgrade BIOS? However I am not sure how to do it.
    Thanks before
  • brummyfan2
    flux said:
    Yesterday I use my laptop until 50% battery. Today I start from 50% and have been browsing for about one hour when I get the problem. Only USB wireless mouse is attached.
    Hello @brummyfan2 do you have any other suggestions? Is it safe to downgrade BIOS? However I am not sure how to do it.
    Thanks before

Hi,
    Sorry, I have run out of ideas, you can try get it fixed by Acer warranty or by a Technician at a repair shop.
  • drngoc

Tinkerer

edited March 2018
    flux schrieb:
    Thanks before

Have you tried without updating the graphics driver? For me, the Radeon driver was installed by default after the reset and I didn't do another update.
  • flux
    drngoc said:
    flux schrieb:
    Thanks before

Have you tried without updating the graphics driver? For me, the Radeon driver was installed by default after the reset and I didn't do another update.
    I only see one graphic driver on support & driver webpage from Acer and that is the only one I use. Haven't tried to uninstall the amd driver completely and see how it goes with microsoft generic driver but with generic driver I cannot control the backlight and screen will go to max brightness. I think I will try to replace the unit on where I buy it.
    In my country this laptop does not have variant that comes with Windows 10 so there is no recovery feature like you have :/
  • ajm
    ajm Member Posts: 24 Networker
    edited March 2018
    Just adding a 'me too' here!  As far as I can tell the time the crashes occur is random, sometimes when watching videos, othertimes when browsing the web or working. Like the user above I installed the BIOS as soon as i got the machine, so I don't know if it is that which caused this issue or something else.

Another annoying thing is that the video drivers from AMD.com will not install on my Ryzen 5 Swift 3, they say "unable to find drivers for your system", only the the ones on the Acer website will install and they are quite out of date (and how long will they bother updating them for in the future??)

• flux
    ajm said:
    Just adding a 'me too' here!  As far as I can tell the time the crashes occur is random, sometimes when watching videos, othertimes when browsing the web or working. Like the user above I installed the BIOS as soon as i got the machine, so I don't know if it is that which caused this issue or something else.

Another annoying thing is that the video drivers from AMD.com will not install on my Ryzen 5 Swift 3, they say "unable to find drivers for your system", only the the ones on the Acer website will install and they are quite out of date (and how long will they bother updating them for in the future??)

Yes I also feel disappointed, however with this thread bump up, lets hope somebody will notice it and fix it soon. Reviewer from my country said they could get 5 to 6 hours of usage, I think they do not know about this recent BIOS version. They just got the review unit and proceed with their standard review operation.
  • Aum
    Aum Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Same problem here. It will freeze with a single colour screen for a few moments, then reboot. Also flashed to 1.04. Uninstalling the drivers, rebooting, and letting Windows 10 install the drivers resulted it in installing a Microsoft standard display adapter.
  • Ecip
    Ecip Member Posts: 84 Fixer WiFi Icon
    AMD.com doesnt have any drivers available for this laptop... and the video drivers on acers website doesnt seem to be updated quite regularly. I'm sure if there was more frequent updates, that it would improve reliability and performance.
  • Aum
    Aum Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

So i managed to rollback the BIOS to 1.03, and that seems to have stabilized the machine a bit more. Under v1.04 it was crashing all the time, but with v1.03 it has only crashed once, so far.