e recovery stick guidance

Answers

• JHP
    JHP Member Posts: 114 Fixer WiFi Icon
    I think the chirp started when I 1st had this problem
    Again when I boot 1st to USB - within 3-4 seconds (no matter if its secure boot or legacy...can do the F12 thing...blah blah blah.. I get the BSOD) it tells me to re-start - unlike before the laptop would try and re-start by itself and within 7-8 minutes the BSOD would come up again  same thing NTFS.sys failed

I really dont want to open up unit for danger of voiding the warranty or breaking somethng
    Jeff

• JHP
    again I do not want to open the unit for fear of voiding the warranty or breaking something
    all the different ways of booting to the USB gives me within 3-4 seconds I get the BSOD and it tells me I can re-start..

I tried to restore the GPT partition and it gives me a write disk error in the BIOS (HD bad?)
    (I have tried legacy...UEFI...secure and non-secure...F12 boot options)

now before the unit would try and re-start on its own and then after 7-8 minutes of seeing the circles and the ACER logo the BSOD would come up NTFS.sys failed...
    jeff
  • Sobe
    Sobe Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Interesting. I agree with you. I wouldn't open up the laptop if I am not comfortable that may void the warranty. 

I'm sure you exhausted your troubleshooting options as I would have done the same. 

Bummer, Jeff. You've done well!

• JHP
    Yeah I think I got a BUM USB and a BUM laptop
    Texas bound
    jeff
  • JHP
    there's one question I still have for you - maybe you can answer it
    please go back to where I posted that *.xml file (maybe a script)

The path (in that script)starts with a "Z" with all the possiblities why is the path drive called "Z"?
    I know its the last letter in the alphabet...but what if I went to a different drive letter in that script?

I got a HDD - would be "C"
    I got a DVD drive would be "D maybe
    I got 3 USBs - would be "E" "F" and "G" maybe

should I try "H"?

I really dont have any more input/storage hardware...

Jeff

• JHP
    look at your e recovery stick - I am sure you have the same kind of file - does it have a path name(s) starting with a "Z" OR

with your next input/storage device?

Jeff

• JHP
    as a side note - the G*DAMM stick is write protected - but I do have other sticks to transfer those files off and screw with them
    the stick is headed to texas also
    Jeff

• Sobe

look at your e recovery stick - I am sure you have the same kind of file - does it have a path name(s) starting with a "Z" OR

Jeff

I'll check on it and will report back to you.

JHP said:
    there's one question I still have for you - maybe you can answer it
    please go back to where I posted that *.xml file (maybe a script)

The path (in that script)starts with a "Z" with all the possiblities why is the path drive called "Z"?
    I know its the last letter in the alphabet...but what if I went to a different drive letter in that script?

I got a HDD - would be "C"
    I got a DVD drive would be "D maybe
    I got 3 USBs - would be "E" "F" and "G" maybe

should I try "H"?

I really dont have any more input/storage hardware...

Jeff

No idea. :(- worth a try
  • Sobe
    JHP said:

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, I wasn't able to get a chance to look at my acer usb stick.
    Having a 3 1/2 month old little boy is a handful. Perhaps I'll try tonight before you send it off Tuesday.
  • JHP
    Sobe said:
    JHP said:

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, I wasn't able to get a chance to look at my acer usb stick.
    Having a 3 1/2 month old little boy is a handful. Perhaps I'll try tonight before you send it off Tuesday.

Heck thats ok...it really is.  I hope things are well with yours:)
    I think 2morrow I'll send it off to texas with a prayer...and some magic chicken bones
  • JHP
    after all this - its getting shipped to texas
    must be a HDD failure
    everytime I tell the BIOS to boot from the stick - within 6-7 seconds of re-booting I get
    BSOD blah blah blah - you can restart
    Now If I dont tell the BIOS to boot from the stick the laptop will re-start and try and fix itself
    Jeff

• JHP
    laptop sent south to texas - thanks again for all that tried to help me fix it:)
  • Sobe
    awesome! - now the waiting game beings 
  • JHP
    Sobe said:
    awesome! - now the waiting game beings 
    stay tuned and again from all I learned ; (trial and error and from you and others) I will be a semi-answer person on this board (seems to be a lot of users that can use the help)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,446 Trailblazer
    @JHP >>>laptop sent south to texas >>>I will be a semi-answer person on this board>>>

OK. Here's your chance. If I bought my new E5 at MilwaukeePC south about 6 mos ago. And it's HDD also went south on me a month ago. What should I do to get it fixed as soon and as cheaply as possible without losing any personal files? 8^) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JHP
    JackE said:
    @JHP >>>laptop sent south to texas >>>I will be a semi-answer person on this board>>>

OK. Here's your chance. If I bought my new E5 at MilwaukeePC south about 6 mos ago. And it's HDD also went south on me a month ago. What should I do to get it fixed as soon and as cheaply as possible without losing any personal files? 8^) Jack E/NJ
    well - the laptop is headed south ; never got a response from Milw PC (they are a dealer - maybe not a fixer - not too happy with their prompt non-service)..I didnt buy the laptop at Milw PC

getting back to this chirping (wine glasses/clinking noise) it only happens on power down

dont really have anything too personal that needs to be saved on HDD...

thanks again for your time and effort - in an month and half I have learned alot about acer and acer laptops
    Jeff

• JHP
    An update - laptop fixed heading north from texas - will acer give me an explanation of what was wrong? Has anyone had to go through the warranty repair and then getting your broke (under warranty) unit back?

Jeff

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,446 Trailblazer
    @JHP Because they're so reliable and bulletproof, you'll be one of the very few people in the world with any experience in this sorta thing. So you can tell us if you got your broke unit back fixed with an explanation or still broke with no explanation. =)  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JHP
    JackE said:
    @JHP Because they're so reliable and bulletproof, you'll be one of the very few people in the world with any experience in this sorta thing. So you can tell us if you got your broke unit back fixed with an explanation or still broke with no explanation. =)  Jack E/NJ

Ok will do thanks for the feedback :)
    stay tuned...

• Sobe
    JHP said:
    JackE said:

Ok will do thanks for the feedback :)
    stay tuned...

You have lots of patience for this!