RAID 0 Issues

DaHammy
DaHammy Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have this laptop since over a year, and I always got this notification about "Intel Raped Storage-Technology" and I accepted it, I thought it would make my C: and D drive into one. But it deleted it completely! There were important pictures, videos, game datas and files on it! I need help please!

This is what my Windows Explorer looks like: https://i.imgur.com/zkR1rq0.png
And my IRST: https://i.imgur.com/qjY8AtK.png
And my Disk Management: https://i.imgur.com/JPkeLH5.png

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited January 2018
    Symptoms
    User can't delete RAID array, RAID option greyed on BIOS.

Diagnosis
    User can create the RAID array via "Intel Rapid Storage Technology UI" (iRST) on Windows but can't delete RAID by "iRST" and RAID is the only option on BIOS (AHCI option is missing).

Before deleting the RAID array
    Always remember to do the windows recovery media before running the RAID tool to delete the array.
    With the help of the Acer Care Center (pre-installed on your system), you can create the windows recovery media on an USB stick, so you can reinstall it later.
    In the AcerCare Center, click Recovery Management -> Getting Started, and then follow the instructions.

You can also perform a backup of your actual windows installation, so using the windows recovery media, you can reload your OS at the time of the backup.
    Press Windows logo key and type "backup"
    click on "Backup and restore" and then follow on screen instructions.

Solution
    First of all, check the Volume name of your array on "iRST".
    Press windows logo key and type "intel"
    click on "Intel Rapid Storage Technology"
    click on "Yes" if prompted
    check on the right side, under "Storage System View", that "Volume_0000" or "OEMRAID0" is the name of the array.

if Type description is:
    RAID 1 or Recovery - no data will be lost
    RAID 0  - all your data will be lost - you will need to re-install Windows

Download the RAID tool, choose your model

Right click the downloaded RAID_Tool.zip file  
    click on "Extract all"
    Click on "Browse..." 
    Click on "Computer"
    Click on "C:" (normally it's labeled "Acer (C: )
    Click on "Ok"
    Click on "Extract"

Now click on the Windows logo at the bottom left of your screen
    Click on the Power icon
    Press Shift key and click on "Restart"
    On the next screen click on "Troubleshooting"
    On the next screen click on "Advanced settings"
    On the next screen click on "Command Prompt"
    Select your account and type your password (if any)

At Command prompt 
    type C:
    type CD Raid_tool
    type delete

Once successfully deleted, press Enter and then reboot your PC.
    The RAID array will be deleted.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DaHammy

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    Symptoms
    User can't delete RAID array, RAID option greyed on BIOS.

Diagnosis
    User can create the RAID array via "Intel Rapid Storage Technology UI" (iRST) on Windows but can't delete RAID by "iRST" and RAID is the only option on BIOS (AHCI option is missing).

Before deleting the RAID array
    Always remember to do the windows recovery media before running the RAID tool to delete the array.
    With the help of the Acer Care Center (pre-installed on your system), you can create the windows recovery media on an USB stick, so you can reinstall it later.
    In the AcerCare Center, click Recovery Management -> Getting Started, and then follow the instructions.

You can also perform a backup of your actual windows installation, so using the windows recovery media, you can reload your OS at the time of the backup.
    Press Windows logo key and type "backup"
    click on "Backup and restore" and then follow on screen instructions.

Solution
    First of all, check the Volume name of your array on "iRST".
    Press windows logo key and type "intel"
    click on "Intel Rapid Storage Technology"
    click on "Yes" if prompted
    check on the right side, under "Storage System View", that "Volume_0000" or "OEMRAID0" is the name of the array.

if Type description is:
    RAID 1 or Recovery - no data will be lost
    RAID 0  - all your data will be lost - you will need to re-install Windows

Download the RAID tool, choose your model

Right click the downloaded RAID_Tool.zip file  
    click on "Extract all"
    Click on "Browse..." 
    Click on "Computer"
    Click on "C:" (normally it's labeled "Acer (C: )
    Click on "Ok"
    Click on "Extract"

Now click on the Windows logo at the bottom left of your screen
    Click on the Power icon
    Press Shift key and click on "Restart"
    On the next screen click on "Troubleshooting"
    On the next screen click on "Advanced settings"
    On the next screen click on "Command Prompt"
    Select your account and type your password (if any)

At Command prompt 
    type C:
    type CD Raid_tool
    type delete

Once successfully deleted, press Enter and then reboot your PC.
    The RAID array will be deleted.

I already did that thing with Command Prompt without saving my data... I thought it would fix my problem, I saw that from another answer on another thread. But since I have done that already, do I have to reinstall windows now? Or can I just factory reset? What will happen if I do factory reset? My data is gone now and it's nothing I can do about it. But how do I fix the issue that I will have D drive again? I did that thing with command prompt but my D drive isn't back
  • DaHammy

Tinkerer

help plsss
  • IronFly
    factory reset will work only if the original partition is still there on C:, if not, you will need to do a clean install.
    about D:, if you don't click to recreate the RAID0 there will be no problems.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    DaHammy said:
    help plsss
    Did you manage to delete the RAID 0 array, I couldn't understand? If yes, then your D drive, should be there. If it isn't you can go to disk management and it will appear there as unallocated space, so you just need to allocate it and assign it a name and a path(for example /:D).

If you couldn't delete the RAID 0 array with the method IronFly suggested, you can try disconnecting the HDD from the laptop and this should break the raid 0 array, but in this case the data is likely to get lost from both drives, which means you have to re-install windows, so I suggest you to create a recovery drive before attempting this.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• DaHammy

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    ven98 said:
    DaHammy said:
    help plsss
    Did you manage to delete the RAID 0 array, I couldn't understand? If yes, then your D drive, should be there. If it isn't you can go to disk management and it will appear there as unallocated space, so you just need to allocate it and assign it a name and a path(for example /:D).

If you couldn't delete the RAID 0 array with the method IronFly suggested, you can try disconnecting the HDD from the laptop and this should break the raid 0 array, but in this case the data is likely to get lost from both drives, which means you have to re-install windows, so I suggest you to create a recovery drive before attempting this.
    I did the way IronFly said but it did not work! What do you mean by disconnecting HDD? Like disconnecting the Raid 0 Volume in the device manager or open the back of my pc and disconnect the HDD? And what do you mean re-install windows? You mean resetting my pc? If so, will I disconnect the HDD, and then reinstall windows? I'm noob with this stuff
  • ven98
    You have to create a recovery drive first(in cortana type 'create a recovery drive' and press enter. Make sure back up system files to recovery drive is ticked and press next. It will ask you to connect your USB drive(I recommend you to have at least 16GB storage) and then continue.

You have to physically disconnect the HDD. After doing so, turn on the laptop without the HDD. Braking the array most likely will wipe the data from both HDD and SSD. Use the recovery drive you have created to re-install windows on the SSD and after the installation is completed connect the HDD back to your laptop and format it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• IronFly
    you need to explain better your issue.

RAID0 is broken now or your system is still in RAID0?
    which laptop model do you have?
    which kind of error give you the RAID tool?
  • Mweingar
    Mweingar Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

If the RAID partition is gone then you are at an stopping point without the magic key command to get to the advanced bios settings to create RAID partitions. Acer has the bios locked down by default - an act that doesn't even allow us to upgrade the M.2's in my Triton 700 it appears. The process as I have done it in the past (assuming you are at a state where you have a pair of drives but no RAID partition):

1 - Boot into (advanced) bios
    2 - Open RAID partitioning panel in bios
    3 - Create new RAID array on available drives
    4 - Select new RAID array as primary boot drive
    5 - Reboot with Windows install USB inserted (I typically also have another USB connected that has relevant drivers for the HW)
    6 - Install Windows normally
    7 - Install/update all drivers

Without access to the advanced features of the bios, you can't get past the first two steps.

I suggest we both talk to Acer support and see if they will cough up the keystroke to get to the advanced bios settings.

Your only other viable alternative that I am personally going to try next is to install the new M.2 sticks (dual Samsung 1TB Evo 960's) into an external RAID enclosure, format there, and then try to install them in the laptop.  More money towards a problem Acer has created frankly.

• IronFly
    there`s no RAID options panel/screen on BIOS, that will let you create a RAID array.
  • Mweingar

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    there`s no RAID options panel/screen on BIOS, that will let you create a RAID array.
    That's not the full truth.

The InsydeH20 Rev 5 bios has the full capacity to create, edit, delete RAID arrays. Acer locks us out of this functionality in their distribution of the bios.

To be clear, they have created a machine that you cannot replace or upgrade your own drives due to this lock out.

That is not acceptable.
  • IronFly
    edited January 2018
    that`s not the truth, since the option is not available...hidden or not by Acer, a normal user can`t access it; one thing is the ability, another thing is the availability.
  • Mweingar

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    that`s not the truth, since the option is not available...hidden or not by Acer, a normal user can`t access it; one thing is the ability, another thing is the availability.
    OK, I will take the troll bait; explain to anyone bothering to follow your logic how a buyer of this laptop is suppose to repair their laptop when one of the raid drives fails? Even NVME fails over time.  It's not a viable bios configuration.

• DaHammy

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    you need to explain better your issue.

RAID0 is broken now or your system is still in RAID0?
    which laptop model do you have?
    which kind of error give you the RAID tool?
    I have a Acer Predator 17 G9-792. My issue is that I want to delete the RAID 0 Array. I downloaded the .zip file for my model and extracted it at "C:". I after that went into the trouble shooting thing and opened the CMD from there and typed in the Commands that you listed and did everything as you explained. The Raid tool doesn't give me any error, all I want is to separate my drives as it was before. I have 2 drives in my PC, the 1TB D drive (HDD) and my C drive which is 119GB. I accidentally created a RAID 0 Array. I thought IRST would combine my C and D drive into one so it would run faster but I was wrong. When it asked me which mode thing I want to use, I chose the performance and stability. Now, I just want to know how I can separate them. I rather that the Data will still be on both Drives but I would not mind losing it if there is no other way. I was going to do what Ven98 told me to do, I was going to buy a 16GB USB memory stick tomorrow and then follow Ven98's steps. 
  • IronFly
    edited January 2018
    no trolling at all, after 17k posts i don't need to troll anyone. :D
     you can install windows on one drive and then create the RAID0 on iRST, this happened many times by user error.

by the way, Acer, in the past, used the CLI iRST interface to create a RAID array before installing windows.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/385363#Comment_385363
    i know, not an easy way to do it but...a normal user don't even know about switching to SATA from RAID (if available on BIOS and sometimes only available in Legacy mode), reboot, pressing CTRL+i keys and then manage to create a RAID array.

and...you are hijacking the discussion, since the OP asked on how to disable the RAID0, not to create one.
    his issue is that he created a RAID0 (using iRST on windows OS) and creating all his data on D: is gone, he can probably try a data recovery after breaking the RAID0 array but with a very low success rate.
  • IronFly
    edited January 2018
    DaHammy said:
    I have a Acer Predator 17 G9-792. My issue is that I want to delete the RAID 0 Array. I downloaded the .zip file for my model and extracted it at "C:". I after that went into the trouble shooting thing and opened the CMD from there and typed in the Commands that you listed and did everything as you explained. The Raid tool doesn't give me any error, all I want is to separate my drives as it was before. I have 2 drives in my PC, the 1TB D drive (HDD) and my C drive which is 119GB. I accidentally created a RAID 0 Array. I thought IRST would combine my C and D drive into one so it would run faster but I was wrong. When it asked me which mode thing I want to use, I chose the performance and stability. Now, I just want to know how I can separate them. I rather that the Data will still be on both Drives but I would not mind losing it if there is no other way. I was going to do what Ven98 told me to do, I was going to buy a 16GB USB memory stick tomorrow and then follow Ven98's steps. 
    if you are not aware of taking off the HDD, @ven98 will give you less hassles and it's pretty straightforward.

just a reminder, a RAID0 will be faster (small amount on modern NVMe SSDs) only 2 or more of the same SSD models; creating a RAID0 between SSD and HDD, will slow down the SSD at the HDD speed, since its bootlenecking.
  • DaHammy

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    DaHammy said:
    if you are not aware of taking off the HDD, @ven98 will give you less hassles and it's pretty straightforward.

just a reminder, a RAID0 will be faster (small amount on modern NVMe SSDs) only 2 or more of the same SSD models; creating a RAID0 between SSD and HDD, will slow down the SSD at the HDD speed, since its bootlenecking.
    Oh that's why my pc takes longer for some things like starting applications, booting up my pc and everything. And the way as Ven explained won't cause any errors or data loss right? And if it will, I can still recover from the USB memory stick right?
  • ven98
    The method that I have suggested is to break the raid 0 array, without recoverying any data. The reason why you need the recovery drive is to install windows 10 on the SSD in case the system doesn't boot, because of data loss. To recover the data lost from the HDD, you will need a data recovery tool.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• DaHammy

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    ven98 said:
    The method that I have suggested is to break the raid 0 array, without recoverying any data. The reason why you need the recovery drive is to install windows 10 on the SSD in case the system doesn't boot, because of data loss. To recover the data lost from the HDD, you will need a data recovery tool.
    Oh I see, so I need the recovery drive in case my pc wont boot anymore. I get it now, I can try that if there is no other way to delete the array. Is there any other way to delete the array? I did what IronFly said but the array still exists. I forgot to mention that when I did what IronFly said, it said that it could not be found or something or wasn'T avilable or someting, I'm talking about the CMD in the troubleshooting mode

ALSO the name of the array thingy is not "Volume_0000" or "OEMRAID0", it's "SATA_Array_0000"
  • IronFly
    I must know the exact error to help you on the CMD.

And please, in the future, always create the recovery drive of any new laptop.