Bootable drive not detected in Bios ACER Swift SF514-55T-70LG

Options
2»

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The USB drive will show up in Windows Boot Manager when you use the F12 boot menu. That's f course if the USB is configured as bootable in a UEFI environment. What USB image are you trying to boot from?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • minissimus
    minissimus Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    Hello and thanks for the answer.

It does not work with the F12 boot option: Still no USB showing, and the only page accessible in Boot Manager is
    Boot Option Menu
    1. Windows Boot Manager
    and nothing else. 

My USB image is a Debian.iso
    I also wanted to save a windows.iso on a distinct USB but I am yet unable to find the Windows10 (Pro) key associated to my Acer laptop.

ACER Swift SF514-55T-70LG
    Processor    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz   2.80 GHz
    Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
    System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch    Touch support with 10 touch points

• billsey
    Options
    How old of a Debian version is it? I thought all the newer ones were configured for UEFI. How did you create it? It needs to be GPT for UEFI to work, not MBR.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • minissimus
    Options
    Thanks again and I did not forget the likes this time...

I downloaded a few days ago this
    debian-11.2.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso

My USB drive was not GPT, is now, but still no result be it thru F2 or F12: Only the Windows Boot Manager is showing, no USB option.

I used diskpart to transform it to GPT, and it is now signaled as such (just as disk 0 is). It was first not recognized by Windows, but then became so thanks to Disk Management. I was then able to copy my debian.iso on the USB, and try to boot it again to no result.

Any clue on how to find my windows key to in order to get a windows.iso and to try a boot it?

• billsey
    Options
    That one looks like it should be the latest. How did you burn it to the flash drive? It might work better if you used Rufus to create the flash drive from the ISO file. You don't need any key for a Windows install flash drive, your key is contained in the BIOS already.
  • minissimus
    Options
    According to Debian it is the latest. I also tried with a CD version instead of the DVD version used previously, and unfortunately my USB drive still not showing. Downloaded from the mirror site directly on my USB.
    Next I will check it with a windows.iso instead of Debian and see if Rufus helps.
    Thanks
  • minissimus
    Options
    Update: it worked with Rufus and a F12 boot from the USB drive. I did not yet try the windows.iso, I may come back here if too many hurdles... Cheers.
  • billsey
    Options
    Good to hear!
  • tomcruz
    tomcruz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi everyone,

read the whole thread and i wonder about something that i wld appreciate clarification on please.

im having a similar problem on a brand new (one old) Acer Spin 1 laptop, and ive done as adviced in this thread ie enabling F12 in bios etc and on re-start pressing F12 does brings up the 'Boot manager' but as some have posted on this thread only 'Windows Boot Manager' is shown on the list and the attached bootable usb is not shown on the list whatever i do.

I wonder if this is what is causing the boot manager not to see the attached bootable usb that works on other laptops -

the Acer Spin 1 is a 64-bit laptop with 64-bit windows installed, however the bootable usb in question has only been used and working on 32-bit laptops, so the question is - will a 32-bit bootable usb drive show up on a 64-bit laptop boot manager?

• billsey
    Options
    The short answer is no. In a UEFI boot environment the BIOS is only going to recognize the appropriate EFI type. Use a 64bit install image instead of a 32 and it should show up fine.
  • tomcruz
    tomcruz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    The short answer is no. In a UEFI boot environment the BIOS is only going to recognize the appropriate EFI type. Use a 64bit install image instead of a 32 and it should show up fine.
    thank fo responding, will try a 64bit image and see :)