SF314-52 Can't get third display to work

edmontonguy
edmontonguy Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2020 in Swift and Spin Series
Hi there, 
I have an Acer Swift 3 and am trying to run 3 displays: the builtin display of the laptop and 2 external monitors.

I currently have one external monitor hooked up through hdmi (hdmi to DVI adapter) and everything was working great. 

Then I tried to connect a second external monitor using a USB Type C to DVI adapter, but it won't register or show up in the settings. 

How can I get it to connect and run 3 displays?

Thanks  

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Have you tried connecting a monitor to the USB type c without a 3rd monitor connected. Probably the Type C port doesn't support video output.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited January 2018

I suspect that is for devices already equipped to put Video on the USB C port such a Samsung Galaxy phones. A PC may need software added ("your device must support DisplayPort Alternate Mode via USB-C port.").

Routinely have two,  three, or even four displays with mine but use a multi-video (Targus or Mediasonic) docking station and the DisplayLink software. This combination works with all of my portable PCs, Samsung Smart Phone, and MAC.

ps am running my Spin 1 right now with dual 24" monitors, gigabit wired Ethernet, keyboard, four port USB 3 hub, & mouse

• edmontonguy
    Well barring the ability to do that, natively, can anyone recommend a docking station that will let me run 3 displays?
  • ven98
    Your device doesn't support docking station.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• padgett
    edited January 2018

Solly Charlie but the Swift 3 has a USB 3.0 port so can support either of the docks I mentioned. Have both and use with everything from my cell phone (Display Link for Android) to my Clover and Bay Trail tablets, Switch 12, R3, and Spin1 (desktops do not need) Can run two through the USB port and a third with the HDMI. Usually have the device's monitor turned off because I use big 24"-28" 1920x1080 monitors. Do need a plethora of KVMs, HDMI, VGA, and Audio switchers plus a few tuners. Do not have a USB-C.

Do not remember when I started using docks but suspect it was the last century.

ps single three monitor dock - no, mine support two each. Never tried to put two docks on one device with four external monitors but docks are self powered so might work, personally never needed more than three: 2 from dock and 1 from HDMI.

Amazon has both Targus and Mediasonic.

• ven98
    @edmontonguy, can you post your device's model number?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• edmontonguy
    PAdgett
    CAn you detail exactly how you have things set up so I can try to set up my battlestation?
  • edmontonguy
    ven98
    My model number is SWIFT SF314-52

Does that help?
  • ven98
    ven98
    My model number is SWIFT SF314-52

Does that help?
    Helps perfectly ;)!

Unfortunately, your device does not support docking stations.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• padgett
    edited January 2018

OY. True your SF3 does not support a USB-C docking station. This does not mean it does not support a USB 3.0 docking station like the Targus ACP70 mentioned earlier.

One of these plus another monitor on your HDMI port would give you three external monitors each with a different display.

I run mine through an improbable set of KVMs and switches with one display selecting from a three HDMI switch through a converter into a four VGA switch.

• deand
    deand Member Posts: 4 New User
    Good information but if the USB C doesn't support anything why even have it? 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    >>>but if the USB C doesn't support anything why even have it? >>>
    https://www.startech.com/faq/usb-3.1-port-capabilities
    usb3.1gen1 = usb3.0

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JimmyFzn
    JimmyFzn Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello everbody,

I hope you are still receiving news from this topic.
    I have a Swift 3 SF314-52G, no way to find if specs are the same as SF314-52 as ven98 mentionned.
    By the way ven98, where did you find this table with USB specs ?

I am using one external 24" screen via HDMI (without using the 14" of the laptop, too difficult for my eyes to work with 14" and 24") but I really want to work with 2 24" screens. How can we be sure that SF314-52G (what is the G for ?) is not displaying by USB-C. Then how can we be sure that we are able to work with somthing like the Targus by USB3 ? Prices of Targus docks are above 100$, I want to be sure..

Thanks in advance for your answers, best regards,

Jimmy
  • ven98
    edited January 2019
    The difference between sf314-52G and sf314-52 is that the G model has dedicated graphics(nvidia MX130 for example) in addition to the Intel HD graphics, which has higher performance.

ACE members have the advantage to access the specs info of Acer products and this is where I have the table from. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• JackE
    JimmyFzn  >>>I am using one external 24" screen via HDMI (without using the 14" of the laptop, too difficult for my eyes to work with 14" and 24") but I really want to work with 2 24" screens. How can we be sure that SF314-52G (what is the G for ?) is not displaying by USB-C. Then how can we be sure that we are able to work with somthing like the Targus by USB3 ? Prices of Targus docks are above 100$, I want to be sure..>>>>

You might want to consider using an inexpensive HDMI splitter as a practical alternative. Some splitters have built-in signal amplifiers to run just about as many external monitors as you'd want. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JimmyFzn
    JimmyFzn Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thank you ven98, yes I have a dedicated graphic card MX130 or 150. Choosen to play some games not possible with CPU integrated "fake" graphics.
    JackE, maybe I was not really clear but I want to work on 2 displays (outlook, word, excel, firefox...), so I need to have 2 different displays on the 2 different screens, I think with a splitter I can only have the same display on the 2 screens ?

Regards,
  • JackE
    Yes that is correct, essentially a mirror. Dual independent display is different animal. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    JimmyFzn I'm not sure this will work. The laptop must still  have two independent video outputs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• johnclayton
    johnclayton Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same requirements as JimmyFzn in that i would like 2 external monitors and my laptop screen to all show different displays. 
    I obtained a HDMI spliter the other day and this does power up both external screens but they both show the same picture and the resolution is bad.
    My model No is SF314-54G