Hard drive install for A515-51G-515J

Options
isooctane
isooctane Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
While the laptop is advertised as being upgradable, the installation of a hard drive appears to be impossible. I've spent hours with support, and it does not seem that a cable exists for this model. Will it be offered in the future?

Best Answers

• isooctane

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello!
    Sorry for the delay in update. The cable Acer-Manny had sent worked perfectly! Thanks for the help!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,119 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    You may have to buy the cable and the carrier for HDD and get it installed either by Acer service centre or yourself, make sure that you don't loose warranty by opening the back cover, please read the thread for more information, you also need the screws for fixing the HDD to carrier and secure it to the case.
    Screw size: 4 of M3.0x3.0
                      4 of M2.0x3.0
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/532823/hard-drive-installation-in-acer-aspire-5-a515-51g-512p
  • isooctane

Tinkerer

Options
    Support actually sent a carrier and cable, and the cable was not long enough to reach from the motherboard to the hard drive bay. The carrier and screws work perfectly. In the thread you linked, the cable is listed as model 50.GP4N2.004, however in all my contact with support they were adamant that only one cable existed. I'll call/chat with them again, and see if this resolves it. I've opened the case already (and was pleased by the ease of access), but support let me know that as long as there was no "warranty void if..." stickers covering a screw or blocking me from opening it, it would not be a warranty issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll update this thread after speaking with support
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    isooctane said:
    Support actually sent a carrier and cable, and the cable was not long enough to reach from the motherboard to the hard drive bay. The carrier and screws work perfectly. In the thread you linked, the cable is listed as model 50.GP4N2.004, however in all my contact with support they were adamant that only one cable existed. I'll call/chat with them again, and see if this resolves it. I've opened the case already (and was pleased by the ease of access), but support let me know that as long as there was no "warranty void if..." stickers covering a screw or blocking me from opening it, it would not be a warranty issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll update this thread after speaking with support

Hi,
    It may be a wrong part, do you see any part number label on the cable?
  • isooctane

Tinkerer

Options
    Support is sending me another kit, with "the correct" cable this time, but I could not get validation that it was the model 50.GP4N2.004 cable. The last one had a code on it that matched a cable for the predator helios 300, I'm guessing there was a mixup somewhere. Hoping for better results this time. I'll update again when the package arrives.

• isooctane

Tinkerer

Options
    The package arrived today, unfortunately, it's the wrong cable again. The one I need is as long as the one in the other forum post you linked, which I believe is the 50.GP4N2.004 cable. Instead of the Predator Helios cable, this time I received a cable for the AN515-51 which is an Acer Nitro. Perhaps support is confused and doesn't understand the difference between the a515-51 and the an515-51. At this point I'm not sure what to do. I just wish I could speak to someone in the engineering dept who has an accurate parts list.
  • brummyfan2
    edited January 2018
    Options
    isooctane said:
    The package arrived today, unfortunately, it's the wrong cable again. The one I need is as long as the one in the other forum post you linked, which I believe is the 50.GP4N2.004 cable. Instead of the Predator Helios cable, this time I received a cable for the AN515-51 which is an Acer Nitro. Perhaps support is confused and doesn't understand the difference between the a515-51 and the an515-51. At this point I'm not sure what to do. I just wish I could speak to someone in the engineering dept who has an accurate parts list.

Hi,
    You need to wait for one of our mods to respond to you as I don't work for Acer and don't know the solution myself.
  • isooctane

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    Options
    Hopefully I'll get some mod attention soon. Thanks for what you've done to help.
  • Patoff
    Patoff Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    is your problem solved? i got same problem..but my model is A515-51-88NY ! if you get any solution let me know please...Acer support seems to not understand what i want ..! weird !
  • isooctane

Tinkerer

Options
    Patoff said:
    is your problem solved? i got same problem..but my model is A515-51-88NY ! if you get any solution let me know please...Acer support seems to not understand what i want ..! weird !
    Hi Patoff,
    I'm still waiting to hear from a moderator or someone in engineering. I'll be keeping this thread updated. Hopefully I'll have some good news soon.
  • isooctane

Tinkerer

Options
    For the record, this is what I'm looking for:

But the kits support sent are all short:

• Patoff
    Patoff Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    Thx Acer-Manny, i have all the email with conversation with acer that says i can add a 2,5 inch max 2 tb hd to my a515-51-88ny , and. Ow when i call acer they say i cannot ... i bought the laptop and in stuck there
  • isooctane

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello!
    Sorry for the delay in update. The cable Acer-Manny had sent worked perfectly! Thanks for the help!

• r0ngki
    r0ngki Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Good day. I recently purchased the same model and want to add an hdd. How can I contact Acer to ship me the necessary parts? Thanks!
  • adrek88
    adrek88 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi can You tell me price of caddy and cable for a515? Thanks.
  • Madmot
    Madmot Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello, I'm having the same issue here. I opened the secondary HDD bay to prepare myself for the installation (since my laptop was sold as an upgradable model: A515-51G-53MR). There is no connection available for my disk, nor any caddy or retainer. So far, the machine is great and fast. Is it possible the have the infos for the parts needed? Also, where can I address my request.
    #Acer-manny, can you PM me, I would really like to obtain these parts.
    Thanks!
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hi all,

Sorry for the delay response, Acer community is not a direct portal to Customer service or Technical Support, i recommend that you contact directly your local Acer support call center to have the parts order.

Go to our page https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ where you can select the country of your location and under support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • asdjigasdf
    asdjigasdf Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    To start my problem is the missing motherboard to hdd connect like a lot of people here
    #Acer-Manny, please PM, i bought the A515-51G-53MR, that was advertised as upgradable. Just please send me the part or give me a link of where i can buy them.
  • Donk
    Donk Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    isooctane said:
    Hello!

Could you please explain me how to connect the cable to the slot in the motherboard? Do I have to just align with pins and push down? Are there any locks for the slot? My cable is still on the way from eBay. I opened the laptop and identified the slot but curious to know how to connect it. Thanks in advance for your reply! Moreover, I am not going to use a caddy. Instead, I wish to use double-sided tape to fix the SSD securely in place.