Hard Drive Installation in Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-512P

Markuss
Markuss Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

I recently bought the Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-512P and wanted to install a HDD into it.
I thought this would be possible cause the datasheet stated that. ( from the german datasheet: "Serviceklappe Ja (RAM und HDD)" )
But upon opening the service latch, there don't seem to be connections for the HDD and neither a cage for holding it.

My question now is: Is it possible to somehow still install a HDD and if so how?

Thanks! :)

-Greetings
Markus

Best Answer

• Leo20
    Leo20 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Answer ✓
    I contacted the Acer support in Germany and they told me I have to buy these two components myself:

HDD Kabel: 50.GP4N2.004
    HDD Halterung: 33.GP4N2.002

They sent me links to this store, which I cannot post directly:  mk-electronic [dot] de

Customers in the US can get these components for free from Acer, because they are also sold in the Acer store there. But they don't sell them in the store in Germany, so I have to buy them myself.
    Total cost with shipping is more than 30 Euro and according to that shop they are not in stock.

I
    would have to open the laptop to install the cable for the second HDD. They also confirmed that as long as I don't damage anything, it should not void warranty.

Answers

• Leo20
    Hi, I bought the Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-529R in Germany as well and have exactly the same problem. Hoping for a quick solution, otherwise I would rather send the laptop back to the store and get a different one.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017
    Hi,
    It's better to get in touch with Acer support in Germany for the parts you need,https://www.acer.com/ac/de/DE/content/service-contact
    Part number for cable: 50.GP4N2.004 and for the bracket: 33.GP4N2.002

• Leo20
    The problem for me is that not only the bracket is missing, but also the cable. Even if I had the cable, to install the cable I would need to open the whole bottom of the laptop. By opening the laptop I would void the warranty of my brand new device. Is that correct?
  • Leo20 said:
    The problem for me is that not only the bracket is missing, but also the cable. Even if I had the cable, to install the cable I would need to open the whole bottom of the laptop. By opening the laptop I would void the warranty of my brand new device. Is that correct?

Hi,
    If you don't have any warranty warning stickers on the back cover screws, you will be covered but if you have any warning stickers please get the confirmation from Acer support in your region.
  • Leo20
    Answer ✓
    I contacted the Acer support in Germany and they told me I have to buy these two components myself:

HDD Kabel: 50.GP4N2.004
    HDD Halterung: 33.GP4N2.002

They sent me links to this store, which I cannot post directly:  mk-electronic [dot] de

Customers in the US can get these components for free from Acer, because they are also sold in the Acer store there. But they don't sell them in the store in Germany, so I have to buy them myself.
    Total cost with shipping is more than 30 Euro and according to that shop they are not in stock.

I
    would have to open the laptop to install the cable for the second HDD. They also confirmed that as long as I don't damage anything, it should not void warranty.

• Markuss
    Markuss Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi,

although i think it's not very nice, that we have to purchase the cable and bracket by ourselves because the datasheet led me to believe they are already included, but i guess we just have to live with it.

Thanks for the help.

Greetings

Markus 
  • jvance
    jvance Member Posts: 1 New User
    I got the parts now but would like to read a walk thru on adding the 2nd SSD.
    When I took the small cover off I couldn't really see how it all goes together and I don't want to just "dig in" blind.
  • jvance said:
    I got the parts now but would like to read a walk thru on adding the 2nd SSD.
    When I took the small cover off I couldn't really see how it all goes together and I don't want to just "dig in" blind.
    Hi,
    You have to remove 17 screws at the back cover, release the tabs with a plastic prying tool or an old credit card(you need to be patient, release them slowly without too much force) then take out the back cover, you can attach the cable to the MB at B in my snip, after finishing it will look like in the last snip. HTH.

• zöschen
    zöschen Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2018
    hi
    i also have the same problem and i'm going to connect the cable to the motherboard ,but i'm still not sure about the warranty when i open the device.
    do you guys have any information about that?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    zöschen said:
    hi
    i also have the same problem and i'm going to connect the cable to the motherboard ,but i'm still not sure about the warranty when i open the device.
    do you guys have any information about that?

Hi,
    I would suggest you to contact Acer Support centre in your region and inquire about the warranty.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi zöschen,

I understand that for US and Canada we have provided the knowledge articles for "Acer Answers By" on a step by step HDD Kit installation procedure and as long the customers follow this steps and don't damage the unit on the process we are not voiding the warranty for the HDD Kit installation/ add on. 

So if you are outside of this countries mentioned i will recommend to contact your local Acer support site for recommendations or instructions on how to proceed or even have them give you the steps, the important part is to have somehow in the system the notes or authorization to proceed and do it for future reference if any problems comes up. 

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • Seandarcy
    Seandarcy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem. Just received an a515-15. Chatted yesterday with the US acer store. They said they don't have/carry either of these parts.
    Is there any way I can get them ?
  • bigbartabs
    bigbartabs Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have 3 Aspire 5 AS15-51 laptops... 1 has a backlit keyboard, 2 do not.  Is there a list of  Aspire 5 AS15-51-xxxx  laptop models that come (standard) with a backlit keyboard?  If I buy another, I want to make sure that it comes with the backlit option.  Thanks... Keith