Acer Nitro 5 turning off randomly while not charging

2»

Answers

• Kamran_Sheikh28
    Kamran_Sheikh28 Member Posts: 1 New User
    do i have to open the lower portion and thighten the inner screws or just the the bottom screws?
  • krikalyt
    krikalyt Member Posts: 2 New User
    just open your ram cover. behind it, there is battery refresh button push that once close your cover tightly. this is enough.
  • blowurselfup
    blowurselfup Member Posts: 2 New User
    This post helped fix my issue with the sudden shut downs. I did three things.
    1. Updated my BIOS
    2. Removed the memory compartment and reattached the cover, tightening all the screws.
    3. Did the battery reset as instructed on the Acer support page.

Since I followed those three steps, there has been no problems. Six full cycles on battery power with unexpected shut downs.

AN515-51
    BIOS ver 1.15

• blowurselfup
    blowurselfup Member Posts: 2 New User
    In my previous comment, I meant to say - Six full cycles on battery power with NO unexpected shut downs.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    This post helped fix my issue with the sudden shut downs. I did three things.
    1. Updated my BIOS
    2. Removed the memory compartment and reattached the cover, tightening all the screws.
    3. Did the battery reset as instructed on the Acer support page.

Since I followed those three steps, there has been no problems. Six full cycles on battery power with unexpected shut downs.

AN515-51
    BIOS ver 1.15

Hi,
    I am glad you got it resolved and thanks for posting the solution :)
  • bboi728
    bboi728 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I just experienced this problem today (randomly powering off while not charging). My question is, which BIOS update should I download? Currently my BIOS is 1.13 and my laptop is only 10 days old.  :/:/  Thank you in advance for answering.
  • brummyfan2
    bboi728 said:
    I just experienced this problem today (randomly powering off while not charging). My question is, which BIOS update should I download? Currently my BIOS is 1.13 and my laptop is only 10 days old.  :/:/  Thank you in advance for answering.
    Hi,
    You can update to the latest BIOS(v1.19).
    https://www.howtogeek.com/214054/which-is-better-incremental-bios-updates-or-a-direct-update-to-the-latest-version/

• bboi728
    bboi728 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

bboi728 said:
    Hi,
    https://www.howtogeek.com/214054/which-is-better-incremental-bios-updates-or-a-direct-update-to-the-latest-version/

Thanks man! :)
  • brummyfan2
    bboi728 said:
    bboi728 said:
    Hi,

Thanks man! :)
    You are welcome :)
  • pandianpanindian
    pandianpanindian Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank You all very much. Tightened every screw on the back to slightly more than hand tight! The Laptop slept quite well on a big journey that I undertook after tightening the bolts! I will post back if I see any issues related to the above
  • pandianpanindian
    pandianpanindian Member Posts: 2 New User
    It happened again today :(  :-1: This laptop sucks. I am in netherlands and who should I call regarding problems with the laptop?
  • tataylorus
    tataylorus Member Posts: 2 New User
    Ok, thank a lot!

• vishal75
    vishal75 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem. The service center guy just reinstalled OS and said it will suffice. But the problem still exists in my nitro 5. Does above mentioned solutions working fine in long run or are temporary solution? 
    Waiting for the reply. Thanks.
  • Ambersam
    Ambersam Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thank you to everyone who suggested tightening the screws.  It has sorted my problem.  you are ACE!!
  • Boom
    Boom Member Posts: 1 New User
    We just bought the Acer Nitro a couple of weeks back and have had the same problem. After a little research we noticed it could be the magnetic switch at the left front. Every time my wife would set her wrist down to start typing the screen would shut down. The issue for us is she wears a Fitbit on her left wrist and the neodymium magnet on the band would rest real close to where that magnetic switch is and kill the screen. I had her remove the Fitbit and since then she has had no issues. I also confirmed that it’s the switch by running a magnet over the area where the switch is and every time I did the screen would shut down. Also, if you run a magnet over the top left of the screen the magnet will stick to the magnet that is imbedded at the top left of the screen frame. We tightened the screws, reset the battery and the Bios is up to date but it still gave us issues till we figured out the cut-off switch issue...now...problem solved.
  • aditya9
    aditya9 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi all, I have been experiencing random shutdown(automatically screen turn off). I tried to tighten the RAM compartment screw, updated the Bios, screw tightening helps for some days but the problem starts again. Is there any permanent solution of this issue?
  • Wfebou
    Wfebou Member Posts: 1 New User
    Tighten the screws on the laptop's backside. Worked for me.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    There is a small button in the RAM compartment that is pressed when the RAM cover is screwed on, it sometimes doesn't press it down far enough. Put a couple of small layers of electrical tape over it

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• mattbushnell083
    mattbushnell083 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Tombakek said:
    Hello,
    My Acer Nitro 5 shuts off whenever it wants when it's not charging. I don't play games, watch high quality videos or anything. Please help me.
    When I first bought the Acer Nitro 5, I had the same problem so they exchanged it. Now 2 years later (warranty expired) this laptop started doing the same thing. Sometimes it cut out randomly when not charging and sometimes instantly when disconnecting from the charger (but always happened when NOT charging). So it seemed like a problem with the battery. I tried tightening all the screws underneath the laptop but to no avail. What DID work however was doing as suggested at the end of this thread: Placing electrical tape on the protrusion on the RAM cover that presses the battery kill switch. This is to ensure that it presses the switch properly when closed. So in short IT WAS THE BATTERY SWITCH IN THE RAM SECTION.