[Acer Swift 3 SF314-52] Fingerprint reader does not work after using Sleep mode in Windows 10

Options
2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,563 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, that is the workaround. You see, ControlPanel's power option apps are still a bit buggy and don't always work as expected in all machines especially those with fingerprint reader. That is, it's a driver software and possibly a BIOS firmware issue, not hardware. Eventually, a future Win10 driver or BIOS update might resolve the issue. But I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon. If you must have password protection enabled when putting the laptop into sleep mode, then I'm afraid for now you'll have to put up with the inconvenience of entering the password instead of swiping your fingerprint. Sorry. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JoannaM
    JoannaM Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options
    I am not getting anywhere with my finger print reader and if anything  recently it seems to have got worse in that more often I have to enter the PIN. I re-installed Windows and then had to re-install Office which I'd bought separately. I've been using a hotspot instead of my broadband and wonder if that's made it worse. Yesterday I installed the Windows 2004 update. I've disabled and enabled the reader. I've deleted my fingerprint and then added it and sometimes it allows me to add the same finger several times. Its quite annoying but I love the Acer Swift 3. Any ideas welcomed. 
  • JoannaMacmillan
    JoannaMacmillan Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm on Windows 2004 now and have uninstalled the pre-installed virus programme the PC came with. For a day it was quite good and the fingerprint reader worked most of the time but now its not working quite often. I suppose that is  a red herring, it is either working correctly or its isn't working correctly! Turning fast set up on or off doesn't seem to make much difference. I test the finger print reader out by pressing the windows icon and L to lock the PC. Seems random when I need to use the PIN or not :(

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,563 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>> have uninstalled the pre-installed virus programme the PC came with. >>>

Yes, ALL non-Microsoft malware scanners (Norton, AVG, McAfee, Malwarebytes, etc) should be uninstalled, no just disabled. Defender and MaliciousSoftwareRemovalTool are all that most folks need these days and they're automatically updated by Microsoft. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    On my machine, which uses a different fingerprint reader than yours, I found that I had to set it up several times before it finally got good at reading the fingerprint. You might just give it a try with something like three or four times...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.