[Acer Swift 3 SF314-52] Fingerprint reader does not work after using Sleep mode in Windows 10

ForumUser001
ForumUser001 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
After waking the computer from Sleep mode, when I attempt to use the finger-print reader, it always complains that "Something went wrong. Please try again." Cannot log in using my fingerprint, have to use pin or password. It starts to work again if I restart the computer. But it always begins to fail after going into Sleep mode.

I tried to update the "EgisTec Touch Fingerprint Sensor" driver, but it says that 4/13/2017 3.5.3.10 is already the latest driver.

Any solution?

Answers

• ForumUser001

Tinkerer

Bump unanswered... anyone?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Check for any sleep mode power options in Control Panel that might seem related. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ForumUser001

Tinkerer

Like which? I looked through the "Advanced Settings" in Power Settings and couldn't find a related one. I looked for the "Power Management" tab of the fingerprint sensor driver, but it doesn't have one.
  • JackE
    >>>I tried to update the "EgisTec Touch Fingerprint Sensor" driver, but it says that 4/13/2017 3.5.3.10 is already the latest driver.>>>

To check if this driver somehow got corrupted, uninstall it from Device Mgr. Then do a cold boot. Let Win10 redetect the sensor & automatically reinstall the driver. Report back with results. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PaulDA
    PaulDA Member Posts: 3 New User
    Any answers to the above?  I am having same problem as forumuser001 and calls to customer support have been fruitless.  Is a BIOS upgrade recommended?  I notice 1.09 is available and I am running 1.05.  Everything else is up to date, especially the biometric driver, ie., 3.5.3.10.  Any help would be appreciated!
  • JackE
    >>>Is a BIOS upgrade recommended? >>>

Absolutely not unless 1.09 specifically states that it addresses this issue. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• PaulDA
    Thanks JackE, yes I am hesitant to do the "nuclear option" of a bios upgrade without some direct confirmation... what caught my eye was the description says it fixes wake from sleep issues....
  • JackE
    >>>But it always begins to fail after going into Sleep mode.>>>what caught my eye was the description says it fixes wake from sleep issues.... >>>

If it were mine, I'd consider the fingerprint sleep mode issue an annoyance. And for me, not a very big one. Certainly not worth screwing with my BIOS firmware because of the apparent ease with which these firmware changes can disable or brick a machine or create other even more annoying issues. Maybe someone else in this community will chime in and try to convince me that I'm a wuss and being too timid. But it's ultimately your decision. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• PaulDA
    Yup, you’re preaching to the choir... don’t intend to upgrade the bios until I hear a more-definitive answer from someone.  This is simply an annoyance, as you say.  Always leaves me scratching my head though when you see so many folks having the same issue, yet Acer and Microsoft can offer no suggestions, or claim they never heard of it...
  • JoannaMacmillan
    JoannaMacmillan Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

I've the same issue but occurs however I shut, lock or sleep the PC
  • JackE
     Open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. What are all the settings. Any hibernate? Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

I've played around with the settings and all are sleep be it on battery or power with the exception of the power button that I have made  shut down. No hibernation. Also unchecked fast start up a that was mentioned on another thread. Any recommendations which setting to use :) Thanks 
  • JackE
    Yes. Change the 'when I close the lid' option to 'do nothing'.  However, please check that the screen display in fact does turn off when you close the lid. You may have to check this in a darkened room. If you have a sleep button, change that setting to 'turn off display'. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

Hi Jack, thanks. I've done that but it's not made a difference to the fingerprint reader. J
  • JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

Heres the screen shot
  • JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

The sleep button is the f1 key and seems to switch off the display OK
  • JackE
    In the current button configuration below, what happens when you close the lid for a minute or so, then open it? Do you still have to log back in? Did you check that the display does turn off when you close the lid in the 'do nothing' mode --- you may have to check this in a darkened room. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

Yes, the display does go off when I close the lid and then its on when I open it OK

• JackE
    When you click on the 'show settings that are currently unavailable', does turn on password protection settings appear like the shut-down settings appear? It seems to be missing. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

Yes, it does. Another thread suggested that I turned it off. Joanna