Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    wrxnefx  Send PM to Acer-Manny  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    wrxnefx said:
    We have the same problem with the C740 too.  We have about 40 with swollen batteries.
    Hi wrxnefx,

I am very sorry to hear this, i have sent you a private message requesting more information to better assist you.   

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny 
  • WVSDTech
    WVSDTech Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello,
    I work for the Tech Dept. in a small district as well. I have been going through all our carts cleaning them and came across several of our older Acer C740's needing new batteries because they were so swollen the track pads wouldn't work. We have replaced 27 so far, but I am still finding more. My boss suggested I do some research to see if there had been some sort of recall that we missed. We have spent close to 1k to remedy this situation. Has there been a recall? Are you able to send us replacements to remedy this situation?
    Thank you,
    WVSDTech
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi WVSDTech,

I am very sorry to hear that you are having battery issues with your Acer C740's. I have sent you a private message requesting more information to better assist you.

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny
  • lfitz
    lfitz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same here. Our school purchased 300 C720 and C740's and already about 60 have swollen batteries. Now what? $35 each to fix is a lot of $ these days. 
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi lfitz,

I am very sorry to hear this, please respond to my private message to better assist you.   

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny 
  • natAacs
    natAacs Member Posts: 1 New User
    We have the same swollen battery problem in 7 Acer C740-C4PE laptops, with possibly more to come. They were purchased in 2015. Planned obsolescence should not be this dangerous.

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi natAacs,

I am very sorry to hear this, i have sent you a private message requesting more information to better assist you.   

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny 
  • vsanchez
    vsanchez Member Posts: 1 New User
    So, my school has over 200 of these Acer C740s, and currently has over 45 out of commission due to this bulging batteries, with others showing track pad issues. Is there an affordable battery website? Is it safe to simply replace the batteries?
    We're being told to e-waste the entire unit by technology technicians, but that's unrealistic if an alternative is possible. Help anyone?
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi vsanchez,

I am very sorry to hear that you are having bulging battery issues. I have sent you a private message requesting more information to better assist you.   

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • DTeck
    DTeck Member Posts: 2 New User
    After piecemeal replacing a few swollen batteries over the past year, I've taken a quick survey and discovered approximately half of our fleet of C740 Chromebooks (very roughly 150) show some signs of battery swelling.  Is there anything you can do to help mitigate this?
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi DTeck,

I am very sorry to hear that you are having battery issues with your Acer C740's. I have sent you a private message requesting more information to better assist you.

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny
  • DANPO
    DANPO Member Posts: 1 New User

Acer support team,

My school district has 5000 x Acer c740 chromebooks from 2015-2017 are showing signs of swollen batteries.   You can clearly see in that the lid can no longer close flush to the base of the chromebook and that the base of the chromebook is now swollen. The machine still turns on but the main symptom that you will notice while trying to use this machine right now is that the trackpad stops working. 

As you know, expanding batteries are dangerous fire hazards. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/toy-safety/battery-safety.html#a3

The manufacture date of these machines coincides with the years that most electronics manufactures (Apple, Samsung etc) were having with expanding batteries, especially Samsung's A7s and the iPhone 6. These devices were discontinued and the companies had to replace the batteries at no cost to the customer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-38714461

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

I cannot seem to find a battery recall anywhere for these Acer computers and it appears that "Manny" from Acer tech support only provides "Private Messaging" to respond to all complaints.  I'm wondering if there is a factory defect Acer is trying to hide? I'm wondering, however, if perhaps our Health and Safety dept could take the initiative to recall these chromebooks within the board to prevent any safety issue? Hopefully Acer will repair them at no cost for us under warranty. This will account for nearly 2/3 of our devices in our school district.

Please help

Dan

Toronto Canada

dpo@compugen.com

• JackE

Sorry, this is an ACER users forum that is not meant to be a direct link to ACER tech support for these types of issues. We're neither ACER service employees nor ACER contractors.  Forum moderators usually step in these cases. I expect you'll soon hear from one of the moderators on the next steps. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• DTeck
    DTeck Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited January 2020
    Below is the response I received from Acer "premiere" support.  Sounds like Acer / Google introduced a bug that damaged our hardware and is causing premature failure of the batteries.  Their proposed solution of ~$8 discount on a replacement battery (that I I then have to swap on all of our devices) is laughable.  Most of my failing units have swollen so much that the trackpad is no longer usable.  Acer needs to step up and make this right.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[Post edited to remove inappropriate content -Acer-Manny]

• JackE
    As previously noted, this is primarily an ACER users forum. A letter, email or FAX to a vip or three at ACER America hdqts might be more effective. Jack E/NJ

Acer America Corporation
    333 West San Carlos Street
    Suite 1500
    San Jose, CA 95110
    (408) 533-7700 – Phone - (
    866) 695-2237
    (408) 533-4555 – Fax
    (408) 533-4574 – Sales Fax

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    DANPO said:

Acer support team,

My school district has 5000 x Acer c740 chromebooks from 2015-2017 are showing signs of swollen batteries.   You can clearly see in that the lid can no longer close flush to the base of the chromebook and that the base of the chromebook is now swollen. The machine still turns on but the main symptom that you will notice while trying to use this machine right now is that the trackpad stops working. 

As you know, expanding batteries are dangerous fire hazards. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/toy-safety/battery-safety.html#a3

The manufacture date of these machines coincides with the years that most electronics manufactures (Apple, Samsung etc) were having with expanding batteries, especially Samsung's A7s and the iPhone 6. These devices were discontinued and the companies had to replace the batteries at no cost to the customer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-38714461

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

I cannot seem to find a battery recall anywhere for these Acer computers and it appears that "Manny" from Acer tech support only provides "Private Messaging" to respond to all complaints.  I'm wondering if there is a factory defect Acer is trying to hide? I'm wondering, however, if perhaps our Health and Safety dept could take the initiative to recall these chromebooks within the board to prevent any safety issue? Hopefully Acer will repair them at no cost for us under warranty. This will account for nearly 2/3 of our devices in our school district.

Please help

Dan

Toronto Canada

dpo@compugen.com

Thank you for the information provided and i am very sorry to hear that the school district is expiriencing battery issues with Acer Chromebooks (C740). I have sent you a private message for follow up.

Thank you,
    Acer-Manny
  • AADUSD
    AADUSD Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello Acer,
    I hope you have come up with a solution by now. We are also are a school district and have 556 model Acer Chromebook 14 (CB3-431) and they have started to have the expanding battery issue. Please provide information for fixing the issue. Thanks.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    AADUSD said:
    Hello Acer,
    I hope you have come up with a solution by now. We are also are a school district and have 556 model Acer Chromebook 14 (CB3-431) and they have started to have the expanding battery issue. Please provide information for fixing the issue. Thanks.
    I am sorry to hear this, i have sent you a private message to better assist you.

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.