Acer Spin 5 Function keys with or without Fn holding, function keys F1 - F12 works while holding FN

13»

Answers

• Jonno
    Jonno Member Posts: 3 New User
    It. Does. Not. Have. That. Option. 
    Funny - I can relate. Neither does mine. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer
    So try the workaround that swift1a found for his machine. Press and hold the FN+F12 or FN+F11 key.  https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/576634/#Comment_576634  Who knows? It might on your's. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jonno
    edited March 2019
    AndiW said:
    I finally found it!!!
    You will have to download the 1.0.1 BIOS from ACER and install it, then you get the missing option. T
    Andreas

Where did you get the 1.0.1 Bios?

• JackE
    edited March 2019
    If your  model's the same, here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jonno
    In case this helps someone- anyone.  My desktop doesn't have the BIOS option so I just had to hit the Fn lock key (there isn't one, actually), so I Fn + Esc. did the trick!
  • Colleen_M
    Colleen_M Member Posts: 1 New User
    This is very old, but I am running into this same situation on my Aspire A515. Bios version is 1.04. I have changed the Function Keys setting from Media to Function Key and this did not change the behaviour of the keys within MS Word 2016.
  • JackE
    Colleen_M    If the function key behavior is how you intend it to be outside of any applications like Word, then it's a behavior is controlled by a setting, option or by default within the application itself. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Failbase
    Failbase Member Posts: 1 New User
    Now I know I am late to reply but for my laptop *the Acer aspire 7* To get fn keys to work I have to press the fn key and the fn number key at the same time and it makes the keys work like f1 and f4
  • JackE
    Thanks for the report. Is it only F1 & F4 keys? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Seltzinator
    Seltzinator Member Posts: 1 New User
    I think the solutions offered here are overcomplicated. The issue is that NumLock has been pressed. On many Acer computers, NumLock also acts as Fn lock. If you reinstall the drivers, that will turn off NumLock, but the simpler solution is just to press NumLock. On my Acer Spin 5, that is Fn+F12 (or just F12 if NumLock is already on).
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    NumLk only affects the numeric keypad keys, 7, 8, 9, 0, u, i, o, p, j, k, l, ;, m, ,, ., /. The thread is about the top row of keys, F1, F2, F3 etc.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Geekstress
    Geekstress Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi @karelkraml

Thank you for posting this question. I don't usually use my F keys except for how Acer already has them set. I have the Acer Spin 5 and love it. But today I finally needed to use an F key for something in Word and was clueless. Of course, I googled my question and your question (as well as the helpful information you included with it) was the best answer I found! So, even though I realize having to press the Fn key as well is very frustrating for many people (like you mentioned), I'm just glad you posted your question!

Thanks!

• iMax
    iMax Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2023

I understand and know the annoying feeling of having the need to press and hold the Fn key when what you want is to simply press F5 to refresh a browser. And if you are a video gamer, it's going to be at least 10 times more annoying, especially, when playing a game that heavily relies on the use of the F1 to F12 keys. So to everyone who's annoyed with the Fn or function key behavior, let me share this to you.

To switch it to work with or without holding the Fn keys, press Fn + Esc.

No need to download and or install a new software and no changes needed to be made on the BIOS.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer

That only works on some systems…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/iMax

>>> To switch it to work with or without holding the Fn keys, press Fn + Esc.>>>

So @iMax , which Spin5 or other Acer model number do you have that this method works? For example, SP513-51?

Jack E/NJ

• iMax
    iMax Member Posts: 2 New User

@JackE What I'm using is an Aspire C24-1750. I don't have any info on the range of products or models where the Fn + Esc command works or will not work. I learned that Fn + Esc on my own, and it didn't cross my mind if it will work on all acer products.

• JackE

Thanks for reporting back. It's good information anyway to see if it works on other models without a function key behavior user option in the BIOS menu.

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.