Can't do a clean install of Windows 10

Options
UselessDisaster
UselessDisaster Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I'm on an Aspire V Nitro VN7-592G.
Haven't done any upgrades or even opened it up (up until this killed my battery, anyway.)

I was playing Dota2, last I remember, when my laptop completely froze up. Completely. Left it for roughly 10 minutes before taking any action.
But, unfortunately, resetting it led to me staring at the Acer loading screen. This went on for over 30 minutes, so I can only assume it went into an infinite loop. I was too stupid to make a recovery point, but I don't have anything of real importance on said laptop, so I went straight to the reformat fix (I left my games partition alone, though.)

Formatted everything ('cept the games partition, which had no important stuff on it anyway) and did a clean install of Windows 10. It booted up, but froze within 60 seconds of so, before I could even do a run.exe. Trying to use the boot USB to troubleshoot is now impossible; I just get a black screen. Which, I can only assume is because I failed to do a factory reset and wiped off my video drivers.
I can't boot in safe mode, I can't take safe boot off UEFI, Legacy mode gives me a PAX.exe error.

I'm really, really at a loss as to what to do.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Does the screen not turn on at all, even when you power on the laptop? When you boot the laptop keep spamming F2 for about 10 seconds,  so the laptop can enter in BIOS to see if you will get an image.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• UselessDisaster
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Does the screen not turn on at all, even when you power on the laptop? When you boot the laptop keep spamming F2 for about 10 seconds,  so the laptop can enter in BIOS to see if you will get an image.
    Sorry, I didn't specify; yes, it goes black after I see the Acer logo + loading circle, or the Automatic Repair that never starts up, and in Legacy, I get to see the windows symbol but never beyond it (e: it does bring up a cmd every now and then telling me pax.exe can't do anything).
    And yes, I can get to a locked-option (no password though) BIOS that doesn't give me much to work with.

• ven98
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You can't boot windows 10 with BIOS set to legacy anyway. Can you re-install windows again from the USB drive, but this time wipe out the whole drive, on which windows is installed entering these commands, once you enter in the recovery menu:

Open command prompt
    enter
    diskpart then
    list disk (remember the name of the disk you want to format for example Disk 0) then
    select disk x( x isnumber of the disk you want to format) then enter one of these
    clean all or clean(clean is for quick format)
    exit

Let the system reboot and install windows from the USB drive.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• UselessDisaster
    Options
    No, I can't use the USB to boot anymore.. It just brings a black screen.
    These were pretty much the steps I did all this and it brought me to the black screen.
  • ven98
    Options
    Perform a battery reset. Here is how: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

After pressing the switch inside the pinhole leave the laptop for about 20-30minutes, before powering on.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• UselessDisaster
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Perform a battery reset. Here is how: ----

After pressing the switch inside the pinhole leave the laptop for about 20-30minutes, before powering on.
    I did this as part of my initial troubleshooting, no change including with battery removed while turning it on..
  • ven98
    Options
    You have to contact Acer in your region.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    Just a suggestion.......

1. On a different computer, create a Windows 10 USB with rufus as described in @IronFly post below.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/537522#Comment_537522

2.  Go in to your BIOS settings and load the defaults F9 and then save/exit F10

3.  Go back in to your BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu.

4. Refer back to Ironfly's post and my post (if you need to retrieve any important personal files) in the link below.

5. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/537522#Comment_537522
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    i think the problem is a little more than just do a clean windows 10 install.
    apart the actual black screen, the previous freeze playing Dota2 and the freeze during windows 10 clean install, probably are symptoms of an hardware failure.
    can be the SSD, since we had other black screen on boot issue in the past or inaccessible BIOS/UEFI with faulty HDD/SSD; so, as last resort, i would take off any HDD/SSD in the laptop (if you feel safe to do it) and then try to boot to BIOS; if it works, switch to UEFI, enable F12, save and exit.
    then put everything back, plug the windows 10 USB media installation and spam F12 at boot.

if it still give you a black screen/inaccessible BIOS, it's time to call Acer support service.
  • JordanB
    Options
    Yes definitely, a failed SSD/HDD can cause black screen.  Hard to say though because once you started toggling BIOS settings and reformatting, things can get messed up from a software and BIOS standpoint. 
  • JordanB
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @UselessDisaster

If you're not under warranty, and it was your SSD that you think failed, the link below is a similar type of SSD that your computer shipped with.

M.2
    SATA interface

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-Internal-MZ-N5E500BW/dp/B00TGIVZTW?th=1