My Aspire R is locked on the startup screen and reads Please wait while we install updates.

Options

Answers

• w3amd
    w3amd Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    I also found the PC still has the same problems coming out of sleep dead even after the upgrade. LOL
  • Quinnleeeee
    Quinnleeeee Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks, msmith123. The fix you pointed us to worked perfectly and easily. I'm so relieved! Guess my family can eat a Thanksgiving dinner after all instead of giving all the funds to a service department. :) You're awesome!
  • Harvey-Acer_Retired
    Harvey-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 330 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
  • Ironmonkey054
    Ironmonkey054 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Flashing the BIOS worked like a charm for me. It actually fixed the display issue I was having, too (where the display would grey out after waking from sleep). 
  • Pcgamer12345
    Pcgamer12345 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options
    msmith123 said:
    Hi, for those of you who have an Acer Aspire R5-471T, you may try the procedure described in this post: bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-SOLVED-Upgrading-BIOS-on-Acer-Travelmate-B-115M-Correct-file-name?pid=133715#pid133715
    There is a report of success in this thread: community.acer.com/en/discussion/533702/does-anyone-know-how-to-perform-a-bios-recover-for-acer-aspire-r5-471t#latest

In case you have another model, please post your model here, so I can have a look.

i followed the instructions perfectly, but my computer still isn't doing anything. i tired at least five times with each bios, and still nothing. what can I do?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,621 Trailblazer
    Options
    Pcgamer---Do you have the R5-471T? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    Pcgamer---Do you have the R5-471T? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Pcgamer12345
    Options
    pcgamer---Do you have the R5-471T? Jack E/NJ
    yes
  • JackE
    Options
    pcgamer---Is it possible that some of the filenames and versions that you tried on the stick were incorrectly named, like a number 1 used instead of a letter l ? Or a 0 instead of an O? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Pcgamer12345
    Options
    JackE---the exact file name was SKI2Luffy.fd
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Is the ski2luffy.fd filesize 6.8MB? If yes, it must be the only file in the stick's root. The machine must be completely powered down and charger plug removed. Then insert the stick. Then depress the Fn+Esc keys. Then re-insert charger plug while still depressing the Fn+Esc keys. Finally press the power button to turn the machine back on while still depressing the Fn+Esc. Then release the Fn+Esc. If that doesn't do it, then try renaming the file to ea70hwx64.fd  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Pcgamer12345
    Options
    Jack--- yes, skiluffy was 6.8 mb. i reformatted my flash drive right before putting the file on. i followed the directions, and my laptop did the same thing as before - power led on, fans running, warms up, but screen not turning on. i tried ea70hwx64.fd, but it also didnt work. were any of the letters supposed to be capitalized?
  • JackE
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't think upper-lower case letters matters. Lower case letters tends not to be confused with numbers.  Does your stick have an activity LED? If so, do you see any indication that the BIOS is trying to read the stick? Jack E/NJ PS: It's ski2luffy, not skiluffy.

Jack E/NJ

• ksik
    ksik Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had the exact same problem with R5-471T. Black screen after upgrade.

I was able to flash 1.12 BIOS after renaming the isflash.bin file as SKI2Luffy.fd from a usb drive.
  • JackE
    Options
    ksik---What was your isflash.bin filesize? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Pcgamer12345
    Options
    jack--- The usb indicator light does turn on, but there is no sign of bios flashing.
  • JackE
    Options

Pcgamer---Do you mean the USB activity LED just remains steady on but no blinking? Or it just turns on, then turns off? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• kingkhan
    kingkhan Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE---the exact file name was SKI2Luffy.fd
    Are you sure that you are editing the filename extension? Windows by default hides file extensions which would prevent it from working. Make sure that file extensions are shown and the exact filename is  SKI2Luffy.fd and not  SKI2Luffy.fd.bios
  • JJandera
    JJandera Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Same thing has happened to me. I took it into the tech dept today and now I'm reading there might be a fix. I have an Acer R5-471T-534X.will this  fix work for me?  I'm going to call in the morning and try to save me some money. 
  • JackE
    Options

jjandera>>>I'm reading there might be a fix. I have an Acer R5-471T-534X.will this  fix work for me?>>>

Heh-heh. Yes, there ***might*** be a fix. Will It work for you? It might or might not. 8^) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ