My Aspire R is locked on the startup screen and reads Please wait while we install updates.

Options
Strivefitgso
Strivefitgso Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Answers

• Nefastus
    Nefastus Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Same exact thing has happened to us. After more than 24 hrs of no change we reset the computer and now the display won't even turn on. So I guess Windows update just bricked our computers?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Leave it alone, it could be a BIOS update through Windows Update, let it finish.
  • Pcgamer12345
    Pcgamer12345 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options
    My laptop also bricked after this update. Anybody find a solution?
  • Ironmonkey054
    Ironmonkey054 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Same here. Waited over 24 hours with that "please wait..." screen, did a reset and now nothing.  Blue indicator light turns on after pressing the power button, but I get nothing but a blank screen.  
  • TinaChaney
    TinaChaney Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I got the same thing, did some research and reset the battery...DO NO DO THAT. Now my computer is black.

Any solutions yet??
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,119 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi,
    Try disconnecting from mains, do a battery reset, leave the laptop to rest for a long period of time, reboot and try, if that doesn't help get in touch with Acer support in your region.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • RunJump98
    RunJump98 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Exact same thing is also happening with my Aspire R which is a great notebook up until now.

I was prompted to do a windows 10 update.  After waiting for ~4 hr at this screen: "Please wait while we install updates,"  I tried to power off the computer without any luck.  I tried to reset the battery, that seems to have only disabled the display. 

Then, I allowed the battery to drain completely.  After I have re-charged the battery, I am now unable to boot up the computer.  The screen is blank.  But I can heard the fan running.  I tried to connect an external display, it's also blank.  

Anyone have experience with AnswersBy.com?  They charge $70 to take a look.

• brummyfan2
    Options
    RunJump98 said:
    Exact same thing is also happening with my Aspire R which is a great notebook up until now.

I was prompted to do a windows 10 update.  After waiting for ~4 hr at this screen: "Please wait while we install updates,"  I tried to power off the computer without any luck.  I tried to reset the battery, that seems to have only disabled the display. 

Then, I allowed the battery to drain completely.  After I have re-charged the battery, I am now unable to boot up the computer.  The screen is blank.  But I can heard the fan running.  I tried to connect an external display, it's also blank.  

Anyone have experience with AnswersBy.com?  They charge $70 to take a look.

Hi,
    You are better off contacting Acer support in your region, IMHO.
  • w3amd
    w3amd Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Their bios updates have bricked multiple model lines. The bios is cooked. There's got to be thousands of machines now unusable.
  • Jledfr
    Jledfr Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    The same problem for me. Have you official solution because to contact
    is of no use
  • w3amd
    Options
    1. To reflash the BIOS  ----- I need to go to sleep but if some pro tech wants to try this procedure let me know how it comes out or I will try it in the later afternoon EST.
    2. Download the BIOS_Acer1.12.___.exe file. (The most recent BIOS update)
    3. Extract the contents of that file using Zip7 or other self extracting archive application to get the files as shown.
    4. (From this link - black-screen-flash-bios-v5-571) - Note this is a different model but I'm hoping the procedure to flash the bios is the same.....
    5. The response was -> ''Yes!!!! Got the BIOS to flash! I unzipped the files from the .exe files that are on the Acer site. There was no .fd file among them. Although the instructions I have seen on how to do a flash USB drive said to format it as FAT and not FAT32, there was no option in Windows 7 for me to format it as FAT. So, I formatted an 8 gig flash stick to FAT32. Then I copied all of the files extracted from the BIOS exe file from Acer. Plugged it into the laptop, held down ALT and ESC and turned it on. Kept ALT and ESC down for a few more seconds, and lo and behold: the screen came to life. The BIOS flashed and now I can do a recovery!'
    6. There's another possibility. The BIOS is based off the motherboard and processor so finding out the model number of the motherboard and finding flashing instructions could work too if the above does not.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    w3amd said:
    1. To reflash the BIOS  ----- I need to go to sleep but if some pro tech wants to try this procedure let me know how it comes out or I will try it in the later afternoon EST.
    2. Download the BIOS_Acer1.12.___.exe file. (The most recent BIOS update)
    3. Extract the contents of that file using Zip7 or other self extracting archive application to get the files as shown.
    4. (From this link - black-screen-flash-bios-v5-571) - Note this is a different model but I'm hoping the procedure to flash the bios is the same.....
    5. The response was -> ''Yes!!!! Got the BIOS to flash! I unzipped the files from the .exe files that are on the Acer site. There was no .fd file among them. Although the instructions I have seen on how to do a flash USB drive said to format it as FAT and not FAT32, there was no option in Windows 7 for me to format it as FAT. So, I formatted an 8 gig flash stick to FAT32. Then I copied all of the files extracted from the BIOS exe file from Acer. Plugged it into the laptop, held down ALT and ESC and turned it on. Kept ALT and ESC down for a few more seconds, and lo and behold: the screen came to life. The BIOS flashed and now I can do a recovery!'
    6. There's another possibility. The BIOS is based off the motherboard and processor so finding out the model number of the motherboard and finding flashing instructions could work too if the above does not.
    Thanks for posting this helpful post, might help others :)
  • w3amd
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I couldn't sleep so I tried it and I couldn't get it to work. The EXE in this case seems to have the Windows only version of BIOS updating and does not seem to have whats necessary by using the right side USB port plus power on while holding Fn + Del keys or ALT + ESC combo.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    using 7z is not enough to extract the BIOS file.

you need to run the exe file (windows version, since it's the only i tried) on another PC and let unpack the files, don't start the flash process or close any error window but browse here:
    C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\xxxxxxxx.tmp - or if you prefer (windows logo key + r then type %temp% )
    the folder name changes from system to system, so you need to find it (hint: search by date) and copy the whole folder to desktop, inside you will find the *.FD or *.bin file (that's the raw BIOS).

then you need to rename it correctly to work as recovery BIOS and it's laptop dependant.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • w3amd
    Options
    I have the bin file. I'm assuming renaming is based on model of laptop. Do you have any idea on how to rename it. Out of the exe it comes isflash.bin
  • w3amd
    Options
    I have the bin file. I'm assuming renaming is based on model of laptop. Do you have any idea on how to rename it. Out of the exe it comes isflash.bin out of the exe comes:
    Ding.wav, FlsHook.exe, FlsHookDll.dll,FWUpdLcl.exe,H2OFFT-W.exe,iscflash.dll,iscflash.sys,isflashx64.sys,isflash.bin,platform.ini,xerces-c_2_7.dll
    Most files as exe and dll,sys are windows along with platform.ini. All of the exe files contain Windows version information resources so I'm not sure we are given any OS Boot flash option here. If true this is terrible because many people will be charged for a reflash out of warranty which would be ridiculous.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    flasher is only windows x64 OS version, by the way if your BIOS is corrupted or bricked, whichever OS doesn't matter, since you need to user the BIOS recovery way.
    isflash.bin is the BIOS file
    about rename...we are already at community rules boundries and i don't want to break any ;)
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • w3amd
    Options
    Counting about 10 people now with this same problem over the last 12 hours or so.

• msmith123
    msmith123 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, for those of you who have an Acer Aspire R5-471T, you may try the procedure described in this post: bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-SOLVED-Upgrading-BIOS-on-Acer-Travelmate-B-115M-Correct-file-name?pid=133715#pid133715
    There is a report of success in this thread: community.acer.com/en/discussion/533702/does-anyone-know-how-to-perform-a-bios-recover-for-acer-aspire-r5-471t#latest

In case you have another model, please post your model here, so I can have a look.

• Jledfr
    Jledfr Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Exact, that work ! Thanks very much !

In any case, thank you very much to Acer for their efficiency! Except for us charge for useless return...

Shame on you.