Predator 791 - screen went black and now won't turn on again

Answers

• CarguyJC
    CarguyJC Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Just wanted to leave my story here for anyone else having the same problem. I have an Acer Predator 17, and when I woke up this morning and opened my screen, I was stuck at the Predator Logo with "Please wait while updates install" and I could feel the computer was warm meaning it was on for some time. After a few google searches, I found this thread, and others and realized some ***** at Acer pushed a bios update on computers that were asleep, unfortunately including mine. Thankfully I found Mrsmiths post, and I flashed to Bios 1.11. Some users have posted having trouble with a 32GB flash drive, but i wanted to report I used a 32GB flash drive and it worked. I also wanted to report that my Predator is modded with upgraded ram and harddrive, and the bios flash still worked to get me back. Whoever did this at Acer should be fired, and whoever is telling users they need to pay $400 to send their computer in for service as a result of a goof on Acer's part soft-bricking users machines should also be fired. What a joke.
  • CarguyJC

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    Fireheyzk said:
    It did not work for me, is there any other way do this ?
    I think you need to use the exact file, check msmith123 files they work fine for me in 2 different predators 17, format at FAT32 and make sure the usb is not bigger than 4gb, I help a friend to fix his predator and he try the same procedure on a 32gb usb and it didnt work, also apparently there is some issues with the ram if you upgrade any of the components is better to remove them and try it, since I still have the original ram I just install the old ones and it works, not sure if without any other components will work, but I dont see why not. 

I just did the Bios recovery with A.) A 32 GB flash drive, and B.) A modified Predator. I used Bios 1.11. 
  • marcelinotrejo
    marcelinotrejo Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    CarguyJC said:
    Fireheyzk said:
    I think you need to use the exact file, check msmith123 files they work fine for me in 2 different predators 17, format at FAT32 and make sure the usb is not bigger than 4gb, I help a friend to fix his predator and he try the same procedure on a 32gb usb and it didnt work, also apparently there is some issues with the ram if you upgrade any of the components is better to remove them and try it, since I still have the original ram I just install the old ones and it works, not sure if without any other components will work, but I dont see why not. 

I just did the Bios recovery with A.) A 32 GB flash drive, and B.) A modified Predator. I used Bios 1.11. 
    I check the usb for any difference since I was not sure what was wrong, the 32GB drive that I use was just a little bigger than 32GB, not surprising for a cheap usb, when I format to fat32 I notice that it takes more time than usual, is something related with the partition size limits for fat32 and my usb drive, I could create 2 partitions and that will solve the problem, but I think is easier just to get a smaller usb drive and be sure it support fat32 format, that is my opinion, as I mention, my experience was that after I recover the bios, windows was still trying to update, I let it another hour and it didn't work, I shut it down again, and I remove the upgrade memory, no idea why but the windows finish the update and star working again immediately, I install the ram again and it work fine. 
    Also a little note, I didn't said they have to send their laptops for service, this was said to me, by Acer support center and you can check my case number 4947403U they claim that any repair OUT OF WARRANTY will cost 399 usd, no matter if is their fault or not, also the ***** who open my case told me that this was not a common issue and that any web information or report related about the issue was not of any importance for Acer support.

Personally I think any user that send their laps for service because of this problem, should not paid not even for the shipping, no matter if they have warranty or not, that is my opinion.    

• Tomix
    Tomix Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have not tried it yet, but does that reflash method work with the G9-591? This is the model I'm trying to reflash
  • CarguyJC

Tinkerer

Personally I think any user that send their laps for service because of this problem, should not paid not even for the shipping, no matter if they have warranty or not, that is my opinion.    
    You are 100% Right. This is Acer's goof... they are literally responsible for soft-bricking peoples machines. This isn't an out of warranty repair on a random hardware failure, or user error. This issue is 100% the sole responsibility of Acer for creating, and therefore anyone unable to doing a bios recovery should be 100% covered by Acer for having to send it in. I would start making some noise on Twitter if you want to get this resolved.
  • CarguyJC

Tinkerer

Tomix said:
    I have not tried it yet, but does that reflash method work with the G9-591? This is the model I'm trying to reflash
    I can't see why it wouldn't. Its been working across many different laptops and not just Predators.
  • Fireheyzk
    Fireheyzk Member Posts: 6 New User
    Which flash drives did you guys use ?
  • Pmarschall
    Pmarschall Member Posts: 2 New User
    Fireheyzk said:
    Have you donloaded the EXE File or the Bios File. It must be a file with .fd extension
  • larrystylinsun
    larrystylinsun Member Posts: 1 New User
    msmith123 said:
    Hi, you can try to do a BIOS recovery.

Here's the procedure for a Predator G9-791:

First of all, download the following file (BIOS 1.11 with the correct recovery name): drive.google.com/file/d/1zsz6F6HonvnlDbOJMHi6OzpncW4GkwFX/view
    Then, do the following steps:

1. Copy the BIOS file to an empty and with FAT16/32 formatted usb stick.
    2. Unplug the AC adapter.
    3. Plug in the USB flash disk.
    4. Press and hold <Fn> and <Esc>, and then plug in the AC adapter while still holding <Fn> and <Esc>.
    5. Press the Power button. You can now stop holding <Fn> and <Esc>.
    6. The BIOS flash should now begin, the fan will spin up and the power led should change its state.
    7. After everything is done, the notebook will shut down.

In case you have another model, please post your model here, so I can have a look.
    ES1 411 C5D2
  • Андрей555
    Андрей555 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Хочу поделиться своим опытом. В следствии заражения системы, вирус уничтожил все содержимое HDD, и всех других разделов памяти системы (был удален вирусом даже биос). В разделе памяти для биоса присутствовал только бот-шифровальщик, запрещающий доступ к системе. Проблема легко была решена с помощью  средство Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Поскольку инструмент имеет множество вариантов применения, легко справится с поиском и решением любых проблем системы.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    only english here!
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Mystique
    Mystique Member Posts: 1 New User
    msmith123 said:

First of all, download the following file (BIOS 1.11 with the correct recovery name): drive.google.com/file/d/1zsz6F6HonvnlDbOJMHi6OzpncW4GkwFX/view

4. Press and hold <Fn> and <Esc>, and then plug in the AC adapter while still holding <Fn> and <Esc>.
    6. The BIOS flash should now begin, the fan will spin up and the power led should change its state.

In case you have another model, please post your model here, so I can have a look.
    Hello, I know this topic was like a month ago, but the same issue happend to my Predator 17 around the end of November too. I registerd extra for this problem. Can sombebody please help? Sorry for my english, it's not my first language.

my model: Predator G9-793-774D
  • Cendar
    Cendar Member Posts: 3 New User
    Ok, I'll add my comment to this thread because I also have the black screen problem

I have a Predator G9-793

I just send my computer to acer last week because I was having problem with weird loud sound buzzing. They charged me almost 300$ for their repair. (I was under warranty, fu** **u, Acer)

They changed my motherboard and my fans.

Yesterday, I got my computer back. Eager to play, this evening I booted it to see if everything was working fine. 5 minutes later, the computer totally froze, forcing me to hard reset with the power button.

And now my computer won't start again. I got black screen with backlight keyboard...

Please, tell me there's a solution for this, I cannot pay (I don't have the money) anymore for another repair.

Can I also flash bios, and how? I assume the bios provided by msmith123 don't work with my model.

Or will this fuc*** cheesy EXPENSIVE computer will be used for blocking my books on a shelf?
    a
    Sorry for my poor english, I'm swiss-french, hope I'm understandable, and I'm really ***** off by Acer lately.
  • Saltyslav
    Saltyslav Member Posts: 1 New User
    This happened to me too, I sadly don’t know how to fix it. I think the reason this happens is because you disconnect the wires that connect to motherboard and the screen. My screen also popped out, and I spent a good 30 minutes repairing it with super glue. When I turned my computer on, the screen was off and didn’t come back on.
  • Deathrow
    Deathrow Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hi, I just ran into exactly the same problem. Black screen and all backlighting on after I try to turn it on. This is my model number Predator15 g9-591-70vm. Please help!!

msmith123 said:

• kpderoca
    kpderoca Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi I have the same problem, fans are on, black screen, keyboard backlight is on after I pressed the power button. My laptop model number is Predator15 G9-593-74UM. Please help!!
  • phenom1007
    phenom1007 Member Posts: 1 New User
    The same kind of thing happened on my Acer Predator Helios 300. My laptop got screen got stuck and I had to force shut down. After that when tried to start the laptop it the keyboard lights turned up but the screen stayed black. I tried many things like battery reset which didn't work and Alt+F10 recovery which didn't even turn on. The only thing that worked was to switch off the laptop and then when I held onto the power button for 30 seconds and then released it. It worked and I am writing this on the laptop itself. Hope someone finds this useful
  • rmfeldtz
    rmfeldtz Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

msmith123 said:

ES1 411 C5D
    I have model 
    17 g9-793-78cm doing the same thing
  • SatansTheory
    SatansTheory Member Posts: 92 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    When this happened to me. I took the back cover off where the HDD and memory are at. and put it back on and it rebooted.
  • Kierra
    Kierra Member Posts: 1 New User
    kpderoca said:
    Hi I have the same problem, fans are on, black screen, keyboard backlight is on after I pressed the power button. My laptop model number is Predator15 G9-593-74UM. Please help!!
    Please assist , I am having the same problem and I cant seem to find the file that I require for my model of laptop ( g9 -593 ) , if I download the drivers from the main website and extract , there is no FD file , and I used the one for 1.11 and 1.10 from the google cloud site , and nothing happens. Please can anyone provide the files