XC 603 not booting(Acer XC 603)

Options
2»

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @tfmeier

Can you start a new thread? Do you know which key to press during bootup if want to reach Bootmenu ( most Acer PCs use F12)?
  • tfmeier
    tfmeier Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options
    ttttt said:
    @tfmeier

Can you start a new thread? Do you know which key to press during bootup if want to reach Bootmenu ( most Acer PCs use F12)?
    Yes, I used F12. Anyway have created a new post. Hopefully get some answers as I'm lost
  • ttttt
    Options
    @tfmeier
    Have you set the BIOS with Secure Boot off? Some Linux versions can run under the SATA devices setting with ACHI mode, some can run under RST and Optane mode. Which mode that you have with your BIOS?
  • ttttt
    Options
    @tfmeier
    Oh, one more thing. Have you update the BIOS to the version ended with letter "L"? That L stands for Linux.
  • tfmeier
    Options
    ttttt said:
    @tfmeier
    Have you set the BIOS with Secure Boot off? Some Linux versions can run under the SATA devices setting with ACHI mode, some can run under RST and Optane mode. Which mode that you have with your BIOS?
    Yes, secure mode disabled and Launch CSM to always. btw, created a new thread on this. May be more appropriate to continue there.
  • tfmeier
    Options
    ttttt said:
    @tfmeier
    Oh, one more thing. Have you update the BIOS to the version ended with letter "L"? That L stands for Linux.
    No, mine is P11.B4. I have downloaded P11.B4L onto a FAT32 formatted USB drive, copied the contents of the P11.B4L zip file onto the drive and booted onto it (F12 > USB drive). It gives me the following messages on the console I don't understand.

Try (hd0.0): FAT32: No GRLDR
    Try (hdo, 1): invalid or null
    Try (hd0, 2): invalid or null
    Try (hd0,3): invalid or null
    Try (hd 1,0): non-MS: skip
    Try (hd1, 1): invalid or null
    Try (hd1,2): invalid or null
    Try (hd1,3): invalid or null
    BIOS: Drive=0x0, H=1, S=18
    Try (fd0): non-MS: skip
    Cannot find grldr
    Press space bar to hold the screen, any the Timeout: 11

• ttttt
    Options
    @tfmeier
    Seems the P11.B4L is the BIOS version you will use. Normally I'll download the latest BIOS file to my existing Windows 10 hard disk in NTFS format. You double click on the zip file to decompress it. There should be a few folders after unzipping it. 
    Is there a folder "Appendix"?  If so, there should be some instructions in the folder on how to flash the BIOS. Be sure to follow that step by step.
    If successfully flashed the BIOS, I don't think there are other special settings needed ( other than what you have already known).

I use separate HDD/SSD in my PC to boot Windows 10 and different Linux versions (Manjaro and RoboLinux). Both Win 10 and Linux HDD/SSD can be connected to your PC at the same time ( though Win 10 cannot see the Linux drive as if the Linux drive does not exist).If you succeed in installing a Linux to one HDD/SSD, you can choose to boot from Windows 10 or Linux HDD/SSD with F12 key during boot up
    BTW, are you still using spinning HDD?  Is there any RST or AHCI option under the "Integrated Peripheral' and SATA Device section in the BIOS
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Which Linux version is it? Any from the last few years should be good with the standard version, the Linux version was really only useful while they were still trying to get UEFI working right.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.