Dual Boot(Aspire E15 E5-575G-76)

Options
13»

Answers

• DutchCraft12
    DutchCraft12 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Alright I did step 10:
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit. 
    Then:
    >Turned the machine off
    >Turned it on again and held f2
    >Keyboard turns on
    >Acer Logo flashes
    >black (but back-lit) screen
  • DutchCraft12
    Options
    Also worth noting(Just trying to give you as much information to work with as possible):

Pressing F12 to get into the boot menu still works.
    In the list is my windows boot and 2 Manjaro boots:
    - Manjaro
    - ManjaroEFI (thats the name I gave to the grubx64.efi when selecting it as trusted)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    >Acer Logo flashes
    >black (but back-lit) screen

So can you clearly see the ACER logo on the screen BEFORE it changes to a blank backlit screen? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DutchCraft12
    Options
    Yes, for about 1/4th of a second.
  • JackE
    Options
    Let's try this F2 operation again. Shutdown not restart. Means laptop is off. Then press down the F2 key. Then press the power button while still holding down the F2 key. While still holding down F2 key, do you still see the ACER logo flash by on the screen before it changes to a blank backlit screen? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DutchCraft12
    Options
    Yes I still see the Acer logo
  • JackE
    Options
    What do you see on a HDMI TV screen when the lid screen is blank backlit? You may have to toggle the TV screen on with the FN+F5 toggle key combination? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rusiiiru
    rusiiiru Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    heyyy everyone this video helped me to do Dual boot thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgKjipEYRGs
  • SebastianT
    SebastianT Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Yes, you should be able to have dual boot. You can try it by following these steps.

( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation.
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit. 
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.

Jack E/NJ

Hi! I've gone through steps 0 to 4 on my Aspire E5-575G-57D4 (BIOS version 1.45) when trying to install Ubuntu 18.04. When I select Linux on the F12 boot menu, I get a black screen with the following text:
    GNU GRUB version 2.02
    Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.
    grub>_

I have never had any problems like this when trying to install Linux.
    I would be thankful for any help.

• JackE
    Options
    SebastianT  I suggest starting over. Download and try installing the Mint 19.3 Cinnamon iso. https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    It is based on the ubuntu kernel but the installation and gui interface are much more polished. I'm using Cinnamon on my UEFI bootstrap and BIOS laptops as boot defaults.  It's gui is easily setup  to have nearly the same look, feel & function of Win7. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SebastianT

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Yes, you should be able to have dual boot. You can try it by following these steps.

( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation.
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.

Jack E/NJ

Hi! I've gone through steps 0 to 4 on my Aspire E5-575G-57D4 (BIOS version 1.45) when trying to install Ubuntu 18.04. When I select Linux on the F12 boot menu, I get a black screen with the following text:
    GNU GRUB version 2.02
    Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.
    grub>_

Thanks, for answering, Jack E/NJ. I tried with Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon and got the same result. I had never had such problem when trying to dual boot any of my computers.

• JackE
    Options
    >>>Hi! I've gone through steps 0 to 4 on my Aspire E5-575G-57D4 (BIOS version 1.45) >>>

First try to save and set a BIOS supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the supervisor password and disable secure boot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SebastianT

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>Hi! I've gone through steps 0 to 4 on my Aspire E5-575G-57D4 (BIOS version 1.45) >>>

First try to save and set a BIOS supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the supervisor password and disable secure boot. Jack E/NJ
    Do you mean as in step 2? Because I had already done so.
  • JackE
    Options
    This seems to be a known ubuntu bug in some machines. Check this LinuxMint forum link for the solution  https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1628618#p1628618

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SebastianT

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    This seems to be a known ubuntu bug in some machines. Check this LinuxMint forum link for the solution  https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1628618#p1628618

Jack E/NJ

JackE said:

Jack E/NJ

Ok, thank you very much for your help!
  • JackE
    Options
    Let us know if this link resolves the issue. If not, I have some other suggestions on using the LinuxMint forums. There are some excellent contributors on those forums which is one of the reasons I recommend Mint. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SebastianT

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Let us know if this link resolves the issue. If not, I have some other suggestions on using the LinuxMint forums. There are some excellent contributors on those forums which is one of the reasons I recommend Mint. Jack E/NJ
    I had already given up on this issue, but finally, after months of cursing on my computer (specially its host OS), I managed to dual boot Ubuntu 20 LTS and Windows 10. I suspect the flashdrive I was using in the first place (a 64GB SanDisk) could have been part of the problem (in some computers, I had troubles reading it and had to enable exFAT to do so). So I just used another flashdrive this time (an 8GB Kingston) and a different version of Ubuntu (I was trying to install Ubuntu 18 before the latest release), followed the steps . . .
    JackE said:

Jack E/NJ

GNU GRUB version 2.02
    grub>_

and got it!

Thank you very much for all your help!

Regards,
    Sebastián T
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> I managed to dual boot Ubuntu 20 LTS>>>

Congrats on your success! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ