Dual Boot(Aspire E15 E5-575G-76)

Answers

• DutchCraft12
    DutchCraft12 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    @JackE Oh sorry, forgot to mention, I did the same thing as the user in my linked post. So I factory reset the laptop and tried it again with your instructions.
    I can see an Acer logo when I start up, and the f12 menu still works.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    But then you get a black screen after trying to boot into Windows or Mint? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DutchCraft12
    No I only get a black screen when I press f2 to get into the bios menu. Booting into windows or Manjaro works fine.
  • JackE
    >>>I can see an Acer logo when I start up>>>

On a cold boot, F2 key must be depressed/tapped BEFORE ACER logo screen appears or it's too late. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DutchCraft12
    I think we have a miscommunication here :) I can see the Acer logo when I do nothing (when it boots into windows automatically) My screen freezes to black when I constantly press f2 to get into the bios/eufi.
  • JackE
    What happens when you press the power button to turn the machine on and ***IMMEDIATELY*** press and hold the ALT key while simultaneously tapping the F10? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DutchCraft12
    I get the windows recovery/troubleshoot menu. This thankfully still works since I can use it with my recovery usb to reset the laptop to factory settings.
  • JackE
    Then there's likely something wrong with the F2 key. Try this.  With the machine completely off, press & hold the F2 key firmly. Then while stll holding F2, turn the machine back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DutchCraft12
    The key is not broken. When I completely factory reset the laptop the f2 key works and I can get into the bios. However, in my 5 times installing Majaro and factory resetting the laptop the bios screen never shows up when I press the f2 key AFTER I installed Manjaro.

It has something to do with the bios having a bug/crashing whenever I try to install a linux distro.
  • JackE
    >>>When I completely factory reset the laptop the f2 key works>>>

What happens when you enable & disable the F12 boot option immediately after a factory reset and BEFORE installing manjaro?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DutchCraft12
    Okay, after I factory reset the computer I did this:
    - Shut windows down
    - Held f2 until bios came up
    - Entered bios password
    - [EXIT] > Load setup defaults
    - [SECURITY] > Restore secure boot to factory default
    - Saved & shutdown
    - F2 into bios & entered password
    - [MAIN] F12 Boot Menu > Enable
    - Save & Shutdown
    - [F2 into bios & entered password
    - [MAIN] F12 Boot menu > Disable
    - Save & shutdown

After this windows and F2 into the bios still works

• JackE
    Is grub first/default in the F12 menu? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DutchCraft12
    edited May 2019
    You mean after I install Manjaro?
  • JackE
    Yes. Do you recall if grub was first or second in F12 boot options? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    In other words, did manjaro default boot if you just turned the machine on and didn't hit F2, F12 or anything else while it booted up? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DutchCraft12
    It was not, after I installed Manjaro windows would always be the default boot
  • JackE
    In theory, boot managers shouldn't affect BIOS menu default to integrated graphics. But it does act like it's been somehow disabled or switched to discrete.  Perhaps by first reading a wayward/changed EFI file in the ESP partition before the keyboard F2 key is functional. Then hitting the F2 key brings up the BIOS menu which can't be displayed with the integrated graphics disabled. In the last week, I've seen stranger things happen with UEFI bootstrappers.

So what do you normally do when you try to get into the BIOS menu and only get stuck with a black screen? Do you press and hold the power button till the machine shuts off, then cold boot into Windows or Manjaro again? Or do you assume you're in the BIOS menu and blindly hit the F10 key to save settings and exit. Then blindly press the Enter key to anwser yes to exit and boot directly into Windows?

Just musing the possibilities here.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DutchCraft12
    JackE said:
    So what do you normally do when you try to get into the BIOS menu and only get stuck with a black screen? Do you press and hold the power button till the machine shuts off, then cold boot into Windows or Manjaro again? Or do you assume you're in the BIOS menu and blindly hit the F10 key to save settings and exit. Then blindly press the Enter key to anwser yes to exit and boot directly into Windows?
    Jack E/NJ
    Not sure if I completely understand your question, but I wanted to get into the EUFI (I called it bios before but I think its actually EUFI, sorry for that) So I can change things like the boot order. Ways I tried to get in:

> From windows click restart and then hold f2
    > From windows click shutdown and then hold f2
    > Hold power button while into windows and then hold f2
    > From Manjaro click shutdown and then hold f2

All of these cases result in:
    1. Laptop booting (Key-backlight turning on)
    2. Screen turns on (screen is still black, although the it is slightly lighter due to what I guess is light bleeding?) 
    3. Acer logo briefly shows
    4. screen goes to the same black as before the logo

There is no sounds indication from the motherboard and the keyboard backlight is still on. Stays like this infinitly until I hold the power button to turn it off again.

I have tried to press random keys to archieve stuff, but not sure what I should be testing/doing. So I am not sure if it's merely the UEFI not showing its GUI, or if it's not working at all.
  • DutchCraft12
    Also, might we worth noting:

I have factory reset the laptop once again, and followed the steps that you gave in your original answer in the thread (March 2018)
    I have just completed step 2:
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    and I am now into the UEFI menu. (I have NOT done any of the steps of step 10)

This means that after installing Manjaro the UEFI menu is not instantly broken. Could that be helpful?
  • JackE
    Not really. Because it isn't a trusted boot-file yet. Keep going. Because there's more tests to run after it's in dual boot mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ