Graphics card change g3620

Options

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    Also, read the last post in the link below by labman_2001.  I'm not sure if he's using the Windows 7 version of the board or the Windows 8 version.  So I don't know if the "quiet boot" trick will work.  You can send him a private message or ask him in that https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/343214/upgrading-acer-aspire-m3970-with-a-gtx-750-ti-video-card

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Mindphaser
    Mindphaser Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks I dropped him a private
  • JordanB
    Options
    Ok, but don't forget to check Ironfly's question above.... "have you connected the power cable to the gtx1060?"
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Options
    Yeah the 6 pun connector yes...Forgot it once in all this and got a lot of beeps directly at start
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Options
    Nothing works...found a webpage that listed compatible devices for the g3620 isn’t it strange that it lists the 1070 and a bunch of others but not the 1060

UserbenchmarkcomSystem/acer-predaror-G3620/518

• Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Options
    Just checked one Guy installed a 1070 and had the same bios version date as i have, just a thought can the 1070 work even if the 1060 doesn’t?

***** I must sound like a noob in these things but the thing is it’s been years since I last was a pc gamer (was stuck at consoles for a while so I’m a bit rusty) 😜
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    don't rely to the model only, to be 99,99% safe, you need to buy the same exact model he is using.
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Options
    IronFly said:
    don't rely to the model only, to be 99,99% safe, you need to buy the same exact model he is using.
    You talking about the predator or the gtx?
    because the predator is the 3620 and the axact Same bios date as mine.

im going to the store tomorrow so they can check the gtx if it’s faulty, the artefacts at the boot process makes me wonder if it might be faulty
  • IronFly
    Options
    i'm talking about the GTX
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Options
    IronFly said:
    i'm talking about the GTX
    Thanx Yeah it Said the exact model actually so I’m gonna check if I can exchange the gtx for that model in the store, got it Friday and here in Sweden we have that you can cancel the purchase within 14 days :)
  • JordanB
    Options
    In an earlier post, you said your BIOS date was 5/7/2012.

Which person is running a GTX 1070 with a computer BIOS date 5/7/2012?  I can't find it.  Maybe I overlooked it?

http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Predator-G3620/518

• Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Options
    JordanB said:
    In an earlier post, you said your BIOS date was 5/7/2012.

Which person is running a GTX 1070 with a computer BIOS date 5/7/2012?  I can't find it.  Maybe I overlooked it?

***** Saw now that I overlooked the date must have focused on the year btw it was SWE-Usero looked at)....since what I found on Acer Firmware Page for 3620 it has 2012 and 2014 (for Win8) he had 20120808 (and again I focused only on the year..my bad)..well they are gonna check the card tomorrow and then maybe I can cancel my purchase (no question actually since I have the right to do that) or maybe I’ll try a 1070 or a 1050 for exchange.

• Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok so the gtx turned out to be ok....but now I’m not sure it’s the original Mobo in the G3620 I checked the service manual and it’s supposed to support 16gb of ram and each of the four slots supports 1gb, 2gb or 4gb, the thing is I got some ram sticks from a friend 32gb in four 8gb sticks.

all now installed in the G3620 and bios, windows, speccy and so on all register 32gb of ram - how’s that possible that shouldn’t work with this motherboard right?
  • IronFly
    Options
    yes, 16GB is the maximum supported ram size...Acer's mistery
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok well then I need to find out what motherboard this is...gonna check the serial on the mobo
  • JordanB
    edited November 2017
    Options
    From what I've read, you do need ME 8 firmware (or higher) in your BIOS to run that card.  Since the card is actually booting, it's not really a UEFI issue.

• Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Options
    JordanB said:
    From what I've read, you do need ME 8 firmware (or higher) in your BIOS to run that card.  Since the card is actually booting, it's not really a UEFI issue.

Ok yeah it’s actually booting as I said speccy, dxdiag and device manager registers it as a gtx1060 6Gb and so does NVIDIA installer.

is there anything I can do, or should I just return it, just learned that I actually have 30 days to return it for a full refund
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Options
    Only problem with returning is....well I still need a new graphics card because the gtx660 is getting really old now 😂
  • JordanB
    Options
    You can check your ME version with HWinfo

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Example below (my computer)

• JordanB
    Options
    Personally, I would return it.  I think it's time for a new computer.