Graphics card change g3620

Mindphaser
Mindphaser Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
just got a new card for my g3620, a gtx 1060 6gb.
the Problem is I can’t get it to work, first it stoppes at bios screen and beeps once every 30sec or so, the after about a minute it reboots with some red artifacts at the top of the screen and later boots up windows 10.

the problem here is that the card is stopped by windows (error 43) and a generic Microsoft driver is loaded, read everywhere that this card should work with the g3620 but I can’t get it to work, someone mentioned a bios update so I went and got P1-B1 which seems to be the latest...but nothing happens when I try to run bios_win.bat

anyone have any ideas for a solution to this?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    first check your BIOS version:
    windows logo + r keys
    type
    msinfo32

report BIOS version date string
    have you installed nvidia drivers?
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

P01-A2 5/7/2012.

the NVIDIA Installation fails about half way
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Just saw something strange in the msinfo32 I says: system model - Aspire M1935.

realy strange and totally wrong it’s an predator g3620 with ram sticks upgraded to 32gig and the graphics card changed to FTC 1060
  • IronFly
    your already have the latest BIOS version for your model, since P01 BIOS can't be updated using P11 BIOS.
    Had you connect the power cable to the GPU?
    if yes, that red artifacts is not a good sign to be honest; i would try the GPU using another desktop and check if it works.
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Tried changing back to Gtx660 and that works flawless
  • IronFly
    you can check the model on msinfo32 screen too or, better, with the Acer tool to read the serial number:
    https://global-download.acer.com/SupportFiles/Files/SNID/APP/SerialNumberDetectionTool.exe

then you can put it on the Acer support website and check wich model appears:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017
    If your computer originally came pre-installed with Windows 7, it's probably not going to work as it is legacy bios.  If it came pre-installed with Windows 8, then you might have to go in to bios settings and toggle "quiet boot". 

If it came pre-installed with Windows 7, your bios might have a UEFI emulator (or something like that).  Basically your computer needs to support UEFI and have modern vbios to run that UEFI card. 

If toggling "Quiet Boot" in the Bios settings doesn't fix it, I don't think it's going to work.  
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

JordanB said:
    If your computer originally came pre-installed with Windows 7, it's probably not going to work as it is legacy bios.  If it came pre-installed with Windows 8, then you might have to go in to bios settings and toggle "quiet boot". 

If it came pre-installed with Windows 7, your bios might have a UEFI emulator (or something like that).  Basically your computer needs to support UEFI and have modern vbios to run that UEFI card. 

If toggling "Quiet Boot" in the Bios settings doesn't fix it, I don't think it's going to work.  
    Well I can’t remember but there’s an win7 sticker on it so I guess that answers the question, so that means I’m screwed well that’s money thrown away, i googled before I bought the card and every ***** site said it should work
  • IronFly
    I agree what @jordanB said.
  • JordanB
    edited November 2017
    Some G3620 came pre-installed with Windows 8.  I'm pretty sure the card will work on a G3620 that came pre-installed with windows 8 because it uses a modern UEFI/GOP.   The GTX1060 only supports UEFI.  Unfortunately you have legacy BIOS....not UEFI since it has Windows 7 sticker on it and was built in 2012 or before 2012. Most Acer Windows 7 desktop computers built from late 2013 (and newer) have UEFI.

The Windows 8 G3620 with UEFI is in link below.
    https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-predator-g3620-ur308-core-i7-3770-3-4-ghz-12-gb-2-tb/specs/

• JordanB
    The graphics card in link below supports both legacy BIOS and UEFI.  It has a little switch on it that you toggle.
    Maybe you can find a similar card with some googling.
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=B520A2A6-4D37-4499-9584-B6BE8823AAC0&lang=eng

• Mindphaser

Tinkerer

JordanB said:
    Some G3620 came pre-installed with Windows 8.  I'm pretty sure the card will work on a G3620 that came pre-installed with windows 8 because it uses a modern UEFI/GOP.   The GTX1060 only supports UEFI.  Unfortunately you have legacy BIOS....not UEFI since it has Windows 7 sticker on it and was built in 2012 or before 2012. Most Acer Windows 7 desktop computers built from late 2013 (and newer) have UEFI.

The Windows 8 G3620 with UEFI is in link below.

Everything checks out, exactly the same as in mine except the windows version
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Btw did the serial number detection tool and it came back as an Acer Aspire m1935

the serial number is blank and the snid is blank
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Found sind on the sticker and when I put that in to Acer page I get bios Uefi for windows 8 (and a bunch of others) doesn’t that mean that it should work?
  • IronFly
    edited November 2017
    no, as i already told you, the P01 BIOS (no UEFI) can't be updated using P11 BIOS (UEFI) and yours has P01 BIOS (not UEFI).
    notice that different BIOS versions P01-P11 can have different hardware motherboard revisions.

About serial number, is this reported on BIOS main page and it matches the one on the sticker?
  • Mindphaser

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    no, as i already told you, the P01 BIOS (no UEFI) can't be updated using P11 BIOS (UEFI) and yours has P01 BIOS (not UEFI).
    notice that different BIOS versions P01-P11 can have different hardware motherboard revisions.

About serial number, is this reported on BIOS main page and it matches the one on the sticker?
    Nope there is no serial number om bios (blank) main page and it says the wrong model since it says Acer Aspire
  • IronFly
    that's really strange.
  • JordanB
    edited November 2017
    It would appear those models (M1935 and Predator 3620) share the same mainboard. 

Predator G3620 Windows 7 motherboard below (this is what you have):

http://www.notebooksolutions.ca/zc/acer-original-motherboard-ac53451-52298.html

Predator G3620 Windows 8 motherboard below (you don't have this):

http://www.notebooksolutions.ca/zc/acer-original-motherboard-ac56721-55581.html

• Mindphaser

Tinkerer

Oh ok so in other words I’m screwed, it’s seems impossible to find a Mobo that’s lga 1155 and ddr3.

The thing I can’t figure out is that it’s recognized as a GTX 1060 6Gb in windows device manager so apparently the Mobo registers it correctly but it won’t work?
  • IronFly
    have you connected the power cable to the GPU?
    by the way, incompatible BIOS can give that kind of issue.