Helios 300 Drastically Dropping Frames?

Options
2»

Answers

• Anuj_Jena
    Anuj_Jena Member Posts: 23 Networker
    Options
    I also had the same problem, its a bug in the latest Win 10 update, so just play the game on Windowed mode or Borderless mode the issue will be fixed.
    The full screen mode seems to be a problem in the latest windows update.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Guys... try importing the attached power plan and see if it helps. Rename the file extension to pow. Use powercfg commands in console prompt (logged in as an administrator) to import it.

This is optimized heavily towards battery life, but... it still allows me play literally all heavy games with ease...

This also alters how CPUs go to sleep states, and how they wake up as needed. Maybe this could help with the frame drops and high heat issues.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Shayd
    Shayd Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    I've found that the Helios stock drivers work best for me. With the new windows update, I would suggest you try to install the Intel ACHI, Chipset, Turbo Boost, and VGA(Nvidia and Intel) from the Acer website for your model. Make sure your BIOS is the latest version too. If it is, shut down your PC, boot into the BIOS(spamming f2 until you enter) and try defaulting it as well(f9 defaults, f10 saves and exit). This is just a suggestion, I know it has helped some users, while others still experience issues. If you still experience issues, I would go through a full optimization of Windows(disable needless start up programs, services, and windows settings like updates and data collection) until you can get your CPU usage to run 0%-2% while idle in task manager. This will help a lot and prevent random background usage from data collecting and updates. Go into your NVIDIA Control Panel settings, and turn Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance, and Texture Filtering Quality to High Performance(or Performance). I'm going to test the Power management modes with benchmarks and MSI, but this might help in the meantime. Also, make sure your Power Plan in your power options is set to High Performance while on AC power.

The GPU works in a way that the more percentage of usage/load on the GPU, the less clock speed and voltage you will get. It basically downclocks itself when more load is placed on it. You will want to try these steps to allow less stress on your CPU and GPU, and maybe turn down a few lower impact graphics settings, such as Shadows, AA, etc. Hope this helps.
  • adamo000
    adamo000 Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Are you playing on external monitor on latest windows 10 insider?
  • sri369
    Options
    adamo000 said:
    No insider builds for me. I have Pro and delayed any major builds by an year so it would be stable. Right now on external monitor and 1803.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • sri369
    Options
    adamo000 said:
    No insider builds for me. I have Pro and delayed any major builds by an year so it would be stable. Right now on external monitor and 1803.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Levimahel
    Levimahel Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    has anyone fixed this yet?
  • Helios_i5_8thG
    Helios_i5_8thG Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I noticed that the frame rate drops ONLY WHEN CONNECTED TO AN EXTERNAL MONITOR. When playing using the laptop's monitor everything's good. 

I'm still searching for a resolution.
  • Helios_i5_8thG
    Helios_i5_8thG Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I found a solution and I hope this helps:

Do not set the display to fullscreen. Set it on windowed mode and you should be good. Do this as a work around until a real solution becomes available.
  • Lastking868
    Lastking868 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hey did you find a solution.. im having the same problem 

• Snakedudo
    Snakedudo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hey, You might want to check the temperatures before frame drop, maybe in predator sense. If the temperatures are almost near the maximum temperature, try undervolting your laptop with Intel XTU. You still get frame drops, but not as drastic, and much less often. When it does have a frame drop, it goes to roughly 20-40 fps usually. This is with my laptop, not sure about yours. Also another thing, leave your GPU on normal, that way it won't throttle as much, and temperatures will be lower
  • Snakedudo
    Snakedudo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Snakedudo said:
    Hey, You might want to check the temperatures before frame drop, maybe in predator sense. If the temperatures are almost near the maximum temperature, try undervolting your laptop with Intel XTU. You still get frame drops, but not as drastic, and much less often. When it does have a frame drop, it goes to roughly 20-40 fps usually. This is with my laptop, not sure about yours. Also another thing, leave your GPU on normal, that way it won't throttle as much, and temperatures will be lower
    Also, you should find tons of tutorials on undervolting this, just get the general idea, and if yours is different, experiment with it, until you get blank screen. If you turn down turbo boost power, you might want to check your perform