Helios 300 Drastically Dropping Frames?

Piperrr
Piperrr Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hey all,

This has been a common occurance with my NEW acer predator helios 300. On PUBG I would be playing at a comfortable 60 fps on high graphics, then I would drop to around 9 fps for a few seconds, then go back to normal. In H1Z1 from 75 fps to 13 fps, in LoL from 250-150 fps to 56 fps. Anyone got any suggestions?

Stats:

GTX 1060

16 gb ram

1 tb hdd

external cooling pad

Answers

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Are you monitoring temps? If so what are they like.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Is the game installed on the HDD? For about how long this fps drop happens and how often?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Piperrr

I almost 100% sure its not an issue with temps, because I have an external cooling pad, but as far as I can tell it stays at around 50-60c. Thanks for the reply!

• Piperrr

I have a 256gb ssd and 1 tb hdd, I install my games on the hdd and my school things on the hdd. Its been happening since a few days after I bought the laptop... Thanks for the reply!

• Piperrr

School things on the ssd**

• ven98
    You can update graphics drivers intel and nvidia. Update BIOS to latest version. This is the standard procedure. If these don't help then you can try with installing the game on the SSD to see if you will have any fps drop(sometimes the hard drive can cause slutter and fps drop for a second).

You say temperatures are fine, so I don't know what else it could be. How does it perform in benchmarks? You can download Unigine Heaven benchmark.

What is your GPU?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• aks895
    aks895 Member Posts: 38 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Uninstall windows 10 creators update and geforce experience
    Will surely solve your problem.
  • ven98
    GeForce experience makes the PC slutter even when on the desktop screen, but windows creators could be a problem too. I have installed it once and my laptop performed worse with it, but I didn't have any sluttering in games.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Piperrr

Thanks for the help, this did work for me however, I'm an aspiring youtuber and recording in high quality is very important for my usage of the computerdrast. I cant stand using obs it drops my frames to drastically. Also I cannot uninstall the windows creators update as the only way to do it is roll back the files. 10 days after the update comes windows automatically deletes the files. Any other suggestions for my situation?

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

What driver do you have from Nvidia?

• GeForce Experience usually causes issues with games because it has its own built in overlay. It is enabled by default and you can go into the settings and turn it off. It could be the issue causing the lag. You can usually tell because in the Task Manager the overlay process is ShadowPlay. I have experienced this issue on my desktop, but not on my laptop (yet).

Tylor
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Hrishabh
    Hrishabh Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited March 2018
    Piperrr said:

Thanks for the help, this did work for me however, I'm an aspiring youtuber and recording in high quality is very important for my usage of the computerdrast. I cant stand using obs it drops my frames to drastically. Also I cannot uninstall the windows creators update as the only way to do it is roll back the files. 10 days after the update comes windows automatically deletes the files. Any other suggestions for my situation?

I have the same problem  .. can you tell me what you  did to solve the problem ..  ..  i have predator G2-572    .. 16 gb ram   ...  gtx 1060... please tell me what to do.. it is really bugging  me ..
  • Hrishabh
    Hrishabh Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same problem  .. can you tell me what you  did to solve the problem ..  ..  i have predator G2-572    .. 16 gb ram   ...  gtx 1060... please tell me what to do.. it is really bugging  me ..
  • Kir4212
    Kir4212 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hrishabh said:

Im having the same problem i have seen the temperatures in the CPU and its almost 80 degrees  in games that require more processor

I think a cooler pad should solve it  (sorry for my ***** english)

• Cinix
    Cinix Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    I'm having problems with this laptop aswell, laptop should handle bf1 on ultra at 70 fps and i'm getting between 25 and 60. It feels so unstable... If I change the setting to low the fps is only a few fps better... I tried everything from reinstalling drivers to a full format/fresh install. I don't know what to do anymore... Temps seem fine on the gpu, cpu might be a bit high at 80 tops but this can't be te problem since the fps problem is straight away. This is a new laptop 2 days old, so frustrating. I've also updated the bios. 
  • Lau00
    Lau00 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Has anyone got to the bottom of this issue? I have exactly the same problem with PUGB, get constant 70 +fps and then all of a sudden i get about 6-7fps for about 10 seconds. Temps are all fairly standard, cpu 70 gpu 65ish. Weird thing is it was working perfectly fine for about a month and literally started happening about a day ago. Nothing has changed or installed on the laptop

I have a G3-571
  • KlobouK
    KlobouK Member Posts: 3 New User
    Has exactlly same problem :(  thats really bad , cant even play PUBG because the fps drop is horrible. i7-7700, 1060 AND 16g RAM.. What can i do ? pls
  • KlobouK
    Lau00 said:
    Has anyone got to the bottom of this issue? I have exactly the same problem with PUGB, get constant 70 +fps and then all of a sudden i get about 6-7fps for about 10 seconds. Temps are all fairly standard, cpu 70 gpu 65ish. Weird thing is it was working perfectly fine for about a month and literally started happening about a day ago. Nothing has changed or installed on the laptop

I have a G3-571

Lau00 said:

I have a G3-571

• KlobouK
    I have same problem mate..:(

• JohnCena
    JohnCena Member Posts: 460 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Open v-sync.