Acer R3-131T dptf_cpu.sys blue screen

Johnny_B
Johnny_B Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have an Acer R3-131T running Windows 8.1 Home x64. Yesterday I've updated the BIOS from version 1.06 to version 1.17. The BIOS update was successful.

After the BIOS update, Windows loaded and just after the desktop icons appeared I've got a blue screen and the computer restarted. After the restart, Windows loaded and I was able to use it for about 20 seconds, then again I've got the same blue screen.

The blue screens mentioned dptf_cpu.sys as the cause. dptf_cpu.sys is part of the Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver. I've downloaded the Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver from Acer support website Date: 2015/06/04 Version: 8.1.10300.137 and reinstalled it.

The setup first uninstalled the previous drivers and then started to install the new ones. When the setup reached the dptf_cpu.sys file I've got another blue screen.

After a few restarts I was able to get to the Device manager and remove the driver. And I've also removed it from System32/Drivers and System32/Driverstore.

This fixed the problem. No more blue screens and restarts. But now I have no driver for the CPU component of the Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework and an exclamation mark in device manager.

Is there any newer or older driver for the Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework that I could use (maybe from a different Acer laptop model)? Windows update doesn't offer any newer driver and I couldn't find any on Intel's website and I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10.

One more thing, when I was searching for a solution I've found this topic http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/Iconia-w3-810-shuts-down-after-about-20-seconds-of-starting/m-p/471505 and the DPTF driver installed by windows update seems to cause the same problems.

Same problem here http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/Intel-Dynamic-Platform-and-Thermal-Framework-8-1-10605-update/td-p/469567

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers