Iconia w3 810 shuts down after about 20 seconds of starting

ABP
ABP Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

I did a Windows 8.1 updte today and after that I can not use my Iconia w3 810. It shuts down after 20 seconds of starting. I already tried the following: 1) The Automatic Repair option did not work.  2) I already tried to do a System Restore, but it does not finish well (after restablishing all files and finishing succesfully the whole process, It says cannot open a file). 3) I tried to Refresh your PC option but it says "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again". I am not using any security software (antivirus or similar), so I do not know why the drive could be locked. 4) I tried to Reset your PC option but it syas "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing".

Please help!  I want to keep using my Iconia....

Answers

• Greywolf1967
    Greywolf1967 Member Posts: 46 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

It sounds as if the Update did not take. You have not killed your tablet and you can come back from this.

You may however have to run a fresh install of 8.1, or Windows 8 as they are both freely available from Microsoft. A simple google search of "Media Creation Tool" and what ever version of Windows you wish will get you started.

I will say from my own testing the Acer W3 + Windows 10 Ann. Update runs like a dream !!!!

Any way please search the forum here as there are a few ways to go about getting back to a fresh set up. I will also say Read all guides and instructions and understand before you start.

However if you give it a good 2 or 3 hours of effort ( mostly waiting time for install lol ), it will give you back your joy of a happy tablet!!!!!

• cherring
    cherring Member Posts: 1 New User

I just experienced the same thing. I hadn't used my tablet for several months so I decided to apply all the updates Microsoft offered - including optional patches. After the updates the tablet would shut down after 20 secods once I turned it on - every time! After several registry hacks to see if any shut down changes would help (none did) I created a USB Windows 8.1 Media install disk following MS instructions, downloaded the Acer W3-810 Windows 8.1 drivers, and then reinstalled Windows and applied the drivers (you need to connect a USB keyboard and mouse until you install the drivers). I then installed all my apps and got it set up the way it was before but without all the MS updates. Next, I created a Recover Point. Finally I started installing all the back MS updates, manually this time, creating additional recover points along the way. I then ran into the same problem. The recover poins, however, work well to get the tablet working again - 10 minutes tops each time. After some more trial and error testing I track down the culprit patch. It is "Windows 8.1 Optional patch -- Intel - Other hardware - Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Processor Particpant -5.4 MB". I doubled checked by applying all the other updates again (Tablet working fine), creating a new recover point, and then loaded that problem patch again. Tablet acting up again so one last recovery.