Acer Predator Dolby Audio issues

Options

Answers

• Interlaced
    Interlaced Member Posts: 8 New User
    edited March 2018
    Options
    As in changes I mean like uninstalling Dolby Audio and installing EqualizerAPO, just in case if it doesn't work I would like a way to revert or possibly reinstall the Dolby Audio back
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited March 2018
    Options
    As in changes I mean like uninstalling Dolby Audio and installing EqualizerAPO, just in case if it doesn't work I would like a way to revert or possibly reinstall the Dolby Audio back
    You don't have to uninstall Dolby for EqualizerAPO, just disable it. Take a look at the sticky thread in order to install EqualizerAPO. It can work without or with Dolby enabled.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Interlaced
    Options
    What sticky? Sorry
  • Skelomorph
    Options
    What sticky? Sorry
    community.acer.com/en/discussion/535036/faq-cpu-gpu-temps-fps-settings-other-info/p1

Skelo
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

- Dr. Seuss
  • Interlaced
    Options
    I've did the instructions on the "Sound Modification/Volume Increase" section but it didn't work. I went on game and it turned off Dolby Audio.

• Skelomorph
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I've did the instructions on the "Sound Modification/Volume Increase" section but it didn't work. I went on game and it turned off Dolby Audio.

I use the exact same method and it works for me. Make sure you follow the directions carefully and read the whole post.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Interlaced
    Options
    I followed exactly what the section said and carefully did what it said. Although at the end when I changed the Preamp to +3 the volume got louder which means it work's perfectly, but the concern is that when I launch CS:GO it turns off Dolby Audio. I disabled Xbox Gamebar and disabled "Let these apps use microphone" via Windows Settings. Any more help?
  • Interlaced
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Also, I'm planning to get the Acer Triton 700, but before I get it I want to know if it has the same problem like this. 
  • Skelomorph
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Also, I'm planning to get the Acer Triton 700, but before I get it I want to know if it has the same problem like this. 
    If the game is disabling it, then I do not know. 

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Interlaced
    Options
    If the game is disabling it, then I do not know. 

Skelo
    Alright, well thanks, and one last thing does this problem happen to the Triton 700?
  • Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Dolby is getting disabled when you open games that use your microphone. To fix Dolby not getting disabled again, be sure to install EqualizerAPO both for Speakers and Microphone. It should not get disabled anymore after that. Also the problem is not only with games that use microphone, this also happens with Skype, TeamSpeak or any other VoIP software or ANYTHING that uses your mic.
  • Jokerall
    Jokerall Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Robitzik said:
    To everyone using my fix or trying to use it, i have some news. Tested out a few scenarios and seems that Windows 10 build 1703 breaks my audio fix (Windows 10 Creators update). If you have Game Mode (Game Bar, Game DVR) in your settings section, it means you have the 1703 build Creators update and EqualizerAPO will not work anymore with Dolby. I suggest people with the Creators update to try out the Premium SRS driver until i figure out how to make EqualizerAPO work on Windows 10 Creators update! Thanks!

So i've been looking for a fix for this F.... dolby digital plus turning off by itself for a very long time and i just stumbled across this post and it was simply a god sent gift.
    The only problem i was facing was infact dolby digital plus disappearing after i installed equalizer APO on windows 10.
    The solution i found to this was the following: I downloaded dolby digital plus home theater separately and installed it, however it was giving me an error that the driver and dolby versions were mismatching.
    After some digging i found this post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dolby-digital-plus-audio-driver-is-7649-and/98a71242-2f0b-469c-8a80-0a09cd5c032c
    Where basically this guy modded the dolby digital plus dll so it would work even if the driver and the program version mismatched.
    So now i have windows 10 with latest drivers + equalizer APO + dolby digital plus home theater separated from the driver and working by itself. I also installed Peace (which is an equalizer APO extension to basically give it a nice GUI) and boosted my basses  =) 

TL:DR : - Install latest realtek drivers, 
                - install equalizer APO (dolby digital plus panel will be gone), 
                - download realtek driver from this page (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Uninstalled-Dolby-digital-Plus-7-5-1-1-Lenovo-y50-70/td-p/2054523) and at the last installation step choose not to install so the program will only extract the files that contain dolby digital plus
                - Install dolby digital plus home theater 
                - download and copy the dll the guy modded from this link                                              (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dolby-digital-plus-audio-driver-is-7649-and/98a71242-2f0b-469c-8a80-0a09cd5c032c 
                - start dolby digital plus
                - Dolby digital plus wont turn off by itself
                - ?????
                - Profit

PS: just reporting what worked for me, feel free to modify the post or remove the links if they're not allowed.      
  • undervalue
    undervalue Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    If any of you guys are having trouble installing Equalizer APO and it having no effects, make sure you do the Troubleshoot thing and Install as SFX/EFX (experimental). Been trying to reinstall drivers for hours with no results until I checked that.
  • kur341
    kur341 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    One thing to note. I just did this Equalizer APO thing and it seemed to work great with PUBG.  I then tried COD WWII and was getting about 7 FPS in multiplayer only, stand alone worked fine (75+ FPS).  Uninstalled APO (or disabled it) and COD WWI multiplayer works fine now, smooth as butter.
  • tidusjc
    tidusjc Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi I am a new proud owner of helios 300, I am an audiophile as well apart from being a gamer, I usually l connect the helios  to external 2.1 or 5.1 speaker for music listening. I thought Dolby Audio enhancement supposedly to be good so I left them turned on. I found that my speaker 10mm teeter produces buzzing found at certain part of music(possible certain sound frequency). I thought my speaker has spoiled and sent for checkup, when the technician play songs from their phone with spotify the buzzing sound was not heard. They told me it's possibly source problem(low quality mp3) and denied warranty claim.

So I went back and play my FLAC and other loseless audio, same buzzing sound was heard. Hence I went and play around with the audio driver setting and I just disable the Dolby audio, of cause suddenly the default sound volume became less, so I had to turn up the volume bar in windows and also on my speaker system, to bring back the volume normally produced with Dolby Audio on. To my surprise, the buzzing sound was all gone, not heard even the volume was maxxed out. I think Dolby Audio amplifies certain frequency until overboarded volume and causes the sound breakoff.

2nd surprise! The music actually sound nicer without the "Smart" enhancement by Dolby. So my advice is turn off the Dolby and tune up the volume by yourself using EQ . It only causes more problem than helps.  Just my 2 cents :)

• Alexscended
    Alexscended Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    If any of you guys are having trouble installing Equalizer APO and it having no effects, make sure you do the Troubleshoot thing and Install as SFX/EFX (experimental). Been trying to reinstall drivers for hours with no results until I checked that.
    Hey man you saved my live on this one!! Equalizer APO works now! Using PC Equalizer myself.

• Interlaced
    Options
    It would be so helpful if someone created a YouTube video step by step on a guide to fix this solution!
  • kehuygiet9399
    kehuygiet9399 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    i tried this and what it does is that it keep dolby audio at off mode and i can't never change it again unless i unless i delete the thing xD

• UditBhati1305
    UditBhati1305 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I'm facing the dolby audio issue while connected my earphone in Type C port of Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop.
    Please suggest how to fix this problem. 
  • DingbatQueen
    DingbatQueen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hello fellow users,
    I have a Predator Helios 300 with a severe audio problem. As others have mentioned, it makes loud crackling and static noises. Also there is a terrible lag when I'm watching videos. People speak long before their mouth ever moves; it's worse than those old dubbed karate movies that we used to laugh about. It's virtually impossible to watch a video without having to read subtitles (which usually aren't available). I read that I should replace the Realtek driver with the standard Windows 10 driver and it actually worked - for about a week. I didn't notice Windows updating and when I checked my drivers, it's still using the Win10 driver. I don't know what changed but it gradually got worse and worse and after about a week, I'm back to where I started. I am REALLY irritated that I bought this laptop and it had such problems right out of the box. So much for tech support. I'm not very well-versed about audio workarounds but I can follow directions for the layman. Hey, I'm an old lady so if you can spell out a fix for me, I can probably (hopefully) do it. I don't have speakers hooked up to it, just a regular headset alternating with stereo Bedphones. Also it's doing what someone else has mentioned: I originally could listen to a video with it set at about 30-35 and now I'm up to 80 on the volume and it's still not very loud. I can see NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible WDM) listed under the Sound in Device Manager but I'm not sure if I need to make changes to that or not. Sorry, I'm a bit confused by the process and just so frustrated with this laptop. It's been severely disappointing in more ways than one. I won't even get into the topic of overheating -- grrrrrr. If you can help me, THANKS!!!