Predator 17 G9-793 cpu overheating?

arcman
arcman Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I bought my new predator 17 G9-793 and what bothers me  is cpu temperature. At full load it peaks at 96C (prime + furmark). The ambient temperature in my room is about 18C so in the summertime the cpu my reach well over 100C. What's weird is gpu temperature reaches max 65C - so it is pretty cool. Is it normal operational temperature for this cpu or should I be worried. Does anybody know if repasting the cpu voids the warranty by acer standards?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

This is what I think, but 'most' of the laptops don't have any void stickers inside. I have the same issue as you and I will send my laptop to a service of acer, because I might actually be the unlucky one, whose laptop has void stickers inside.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    It is not normal. The overheating is because of the garbage thermal paste. Change the thermal paste and your temperatures will be fine.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• arcman

That's what I thought but won't re-applying thermal grease void warranty?

• ven98
    Answer ✓

This is what I think, but 'most' of the laptops don't have any void stickers inside. I have the same issue as you and I will send my laptop to a service of acer, because I might actually be the unlucky one, whose laptop has void stickers inside.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

last question: yes of course!

I'm running the 791 at such temps since Dezember 2015. No probs at all. All within the specs (for the 791 Model). It slows down system, if you reach 99 degrees. I never get more than 97.

My old Acer V3 was even hotter in average. It was almost 5 years, when I sold it Smiley Wink.

• arcman

Thanks for replying guys. I will wait till summer and if the temperatures will go even further I will probably hit acer support then. 

• jake_angelson
    jake_angelson Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I think reaching a high temp on predator is all common to us, i have predator 15 g9-593 my laptop CPU temp pump up to 100 deg with stress test (prime95) to be honest I switch to acer because of they are not capping the CPU temp to throttle on a lower degree but now Im seeing a very high, hmmm! what I observe i think acer are using a very bad Thermal paste on manufacturing, solution is to replace the stock thermal paste, do some undervolt or not and Voila! Temp is Very Good. all will be happy Smiley Very Happy

• AndyMD
    AndyMD Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hello,

I just bought a Predator G9-793 I7 7700HQ, 1070 GTX and I was also worried about the hight t° (90°C AIDA64 Extreme test), everything seems to be ok in idle and normal gaming/working.

So I sended a message to ACER explaining my issue and they answered that this is normal.

Ater a exceptionnaly Asus N71Jq who has burned (hole in MD) after 6 years off hard wordking, and a VERY disapointed MSI Dominator GT72 from 2015 who just lost his GTX970 (?!), I hope that this Predator will give me long years of satisfaction.

By the way neither MSI or LDLC wanst to apply the European Garantie Law so I'm forced to go to justice to have my garantie repare, so always check garantie rules before buying. 

• AndyMD

Tinkerer

Oups litle mistake in my post, the MSI laptop is from 2016, and the hole is in the Motherboard (MB not MD), sorry.

• Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    i have the same issues with my Predator 17X. the 7820HK CPU gets up to 96C while the 1080 GPU only gets a max temp of 79C under heavy load. After repasting with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut i barely see any difference. Also, i had a void sticker on one of the screws of the heatsink, already deteriorated by screwdriver before i even touched anything, laptop being bought brand new from local store. Poor quality control might i say. If something would have went wrong with the internals and i would have been forced to send it in for repairs, my warranty would have been canceled without me even touching anything. Thanks, Acer
  • AndyMD

Tinkerer

Hi again, I've done some tests and I came to the conclusion that PredatorSense does not do his work correctly.

When I put the fans to the max, I can play any game and do any burn with a max of 80°C.

I think that the use of the fans has been badly programmed, they do not go up crescendo with the temps, in fact the fans starts to late.

Maybe it's possible to fix this by modifying PredatorSense so the fans run when the t° "seems" to go up by checking the GPU & CPU use or the type of use!

I remember that this was the case with my MSI Dominator and the t° on this laptop was always verry verry good.

Meanwhile, I'm putting the fans on their max when playing, ...... yep I'm using a headphone :-)

• Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    i don't get sub 80C no matter what i do, fans max, -0.120V undervolting. from HWMonitor statistics under stress test i always have an average of 2796Mhz on all cores, voltage always averaging at 1.312V. this is unacceptable. it can't even reach specified performance. Fan profiles are badly optimised, voltages are way higher than needed and we have no permanent control over frequencies and voltages and i do not want to use intel XTU. i want to be able to set pre-boot clocks and voltages from Bios, just like Alienware and many others or at least to have this kind of integration in PredatorNonSense app so it can stick through reboots. One setup i did with intel XTU consisted of a stable 3.6Ghz across all cores at a voltage of 0.984V and temperatures upto a max of 67C. So i am very sure the system does not need to throttle down to 2.7Ghz like i experienced, and at 90+ degrees. ACER, PLEASE FIX THIS
  • Uros
    Uros Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello to alll predator users i have the same problem its global then i gott predator 17 g5 model i7 7700hq gtx 1060 two weeks ago tried game like wot gott temp. 85 to 95 to hoot my opinion then with some intel software undervolting it by 0.120 temp went down by 10 C still to hot im thinking to repaste it i gues its bad paste i didnt find anyware what are normal temp. while playing or in heavy load probably depense of a game that we are playing so if enyone has some tricks howe to lower the heat or info pls post it  one more can fans be replacet by better ones like aero3d coud that worked thx and gl from slovenija 
  • flashridr
    flashridr Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hey Uros. Have same acer bought on 21.10.2017 and i get 97°C on 100% cpu load, but gpu only 65°C. I think we should contact Acer slovenia for repasting our predators :D or et least i will contact them if i can do it myself. It`s realy irretating that i have to run my cpu on 85% 2700mhz because of the temps.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    flashridr said:
    Hey Uros. Have same acer bought on 21.10.2017 and i get 97°C on 100% cpu load, but gpu only 65°C. I think we should contact Acer slovenia for repasting our predators :D or et least i will contact them if i can do it myself. It`s realy irretating that i have to run my cpu on 85% 2700mhz because of the temps.

Hi,
    I would suggest you to Undervolt using throttlestop, you don't have to set Maximum Processor state at 85%.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1srWgovdn8
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/
  • flashridr

Tinkerer

By the garantie you are not allowed to use third party software for tuning....... So i wont do that. Before acer i had asus rog and there i had no problems with overheating for 2 years. Now upgraded to acer predator
  • flashridr

Tinkerer

Did a -0,120V undervoltage and still getting 95°C. Thinking to give it for a repaste on garantie??
    I will try to see how much under I can go. But I assume that 0.130 or 1.40 will not be stable anymore
  • brummyfan2
    flashridr said:
    Did a -0,120V undervoltage and still getting 95°C. Thinking to give it for a repaste on garantie??
    I will try to see how much under I can go. But I assume that 0.130 or 1.40 will not be stable anymore

You could try reducing the voltage by tiny amount at a time, check every setting for a reasonable amount of time to make sure it's stable, check with your normal work pattern and not with programs like Prime, Fumark etc. If you are not satisfied with Undervolting, do the repasting under warranty.
  • flashridr

Tinkerer

So did try several settings on ghost recon. The cpu was on 86-89°C and GPU was 66-68°C after playing for 3hours and it was that temp all time, vents on max and undervoltage 0.125. I think will have to send it to service. But now when its undervoltage i could play a game. Before i didnt after 1hour, because of the cpu overheating and FPS droped
  • brummyfan2
    flashridr said:
    So did try several settings on ghost recon. The cpu was on 86-89°C and GPU was 66-68°C after playing for 3hours and it was that temp all time, vents on max and undervoltage 0.125. I think will have to send it to service. But now when its undervoltage i could play a game. Before i didnt after 1hour, because of the cpu overheating and FPS droped

Hi,
    Yes, if you are not satisfied, send it for repasting but wait for others' opinions as well as I don't have any experience with gaming laptops.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited October 2017

Hello flashridr,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Predator product, if you feel that your unit is overheating please contact your local support for better asistnace, https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ where you can select the country of your location and under support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers.

Acer-Manny