AcerB3-A30. iconia One 10 runs painfully slowly

MissC
MissC Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2022 in Tablets

I bought myself this tablet in January and was surprised at how slow it ran initially, but persevered with it. It has just got worse really. It takes up to 10 seconds to open an app after I've clicked the icon on the desktop. Chrome is really slow to load; flipping quickly through apps is impossible; Facebook articles won't load, or do load and then cut out halfway through and take me back to my homepage. 

I can't find anyone else having this issue, so I'm wondering if I've just got a duff one and I need to exchange it? I went for it as it had positive reviews online.

I've got SD Maid running clean ups and download updates when they crop up but to no avail.

Even writing this has been an ordeal!

Thanks in anticipation of some help and advice.

[Edited the title to add model name ]

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

backup all your personal data and try a factory reset:

settings/backup & reset = factory data reset

if it's still slow, contact Acer support service if still in warranty.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • maarb
    maarb Member Posts: 1 New User
    Having the same problem, any solutions?
    My tablet was slow from the very beginning, I don' really have anything installed on it.
  • Ebresie
    Ebresie Member Posts: 1 New User
    So I continue to have slow down problems as well. I did a factory reset and this seemed to solve it for a while but over time it reverted back to the point of it took about 15 minutes to open the play store download a relatively small app and do anything else.

If the answer is do factory reset again I would question why it continues to get to the point that this is the only solution. It's this sort of behavior that got Windows of old such a bad reputation and people moving away from the platform.
  • Dkoglobal
    Dkoglobal Member Posts: 1 New User
    If it still matters (I know this is an old product and the last comments were almost a year ago). One simple thing I just did which makes my tablet a LOT better (it's no high-end performer but relatively faster) is:
    (Drumroll)
    Install a new launcher. I use the Eve launcher and avoid creating home screen icons. After a day of using the full application list to launch apps, the launcher builds a "frequently used" app list which covers 90% of my use cases.
    The improvement is noticeable and frankly reconciles me with the purchase of this otherwise useless tablet.
    Let me know how it goes (if anyone still needs this solution)...
    David
  • i_love_tazzus
    i_love_tazzus Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    edited February 2018
    Dkoglobal said:
    If it still matters (I know this is an old product and the last comments were almost a year ago). One simple thing I just did which makes my tablet a LOT better (it's no high-end performer but relatively faster) is:
    (Drumroll)
    Install a new launcher. I use the Eve launcher and avoid creating home screen icons. After a day of using the full application list to launch apps, the launcher builds a "frequently used" app list which covers 90% of my use cases.
    The improvement is noticeable and frankly reconciles me with the purchase of this otherwise useless tablet.
    David
    This solution worked for me! I've also shut off a lot of the preinstalled apps, and uninstalled a few of those. I bought a new tablet recently for daily use, so I've rebuilt mine, and it's now used for books, less demanding games, music and video. No email, no social media, no work/business stuff (except for a few relevant ebooks).
  • msimon1960
    msimon1960 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I bought my Acer Iconia One 10" in March 2018.  Model B3-A30.

It is virtually unusable.  So much bloatware nearly the entire 1gb of Ram is tied up before I load any apps.  I even took the approach of using it as a browser only (no additional apps) and it still exhausts the Ram and crashes.

It seems that the memory management software is flawed.  Background apps are not swapped out to accomodate active apps.

Has anyone rooted this unit, purged the junk, and loaded a custom ROM?  Did it work any better?  Im not an Android expert but would it work better with an earlier version of Android?

Im interested in hearing from people with more knowledge of Android than I.
  • msimon1960
    Dkoglobal said:
    (Drumroll)
    David
    This solution worked for me! I've also shut off a lot of the preinstalled apps, and uninstalled a few of those. I bought a new tablet recently for daily use, so I've rebuilt mine, and it's now used for books, less demanding games, music and video. No email, no social media, no work/business stuff (except for a few relevant ebooks).
    Tried Eve and it doesnt work any better.
  • msimon1960
    Ebresie said:
    So I continue to have slow down problems as well. I did a factory reset and this seemed to solve it for a while but over time it reverted back to the point of it took about 15 minutes to open the play store download a relatively small app and do anything else.

If the answer is do factory reset again I would question why it continues to get to the point that this is the only solution. It's this sort of behavior that got Windows of old such a bad reputation and people moving away from the platform.
    Factory resets had no effect.
  • i_love_tazzus
    I eventually moved away from Eve, reverted back to the stock launcher and use Firefox and Naked Browser Pro for web browsing and search. I've turned off or uninstalled most Google services, except for Google Play Store and YouTube. I've also disabled some of the other preinstalled software, which has speeded it up more for me. I'll admit, initially I didn't think the 1 GB of system memory was going to help, but I'd prefer not to completely waste an otherwise good piece of equipment, so I just decided to repurpose it as I've said above. (I bought the B3-A30 on sale at best buy early in 2017.) 

None of the above is what I'd expect for a typical user experience. I'm probably not going to root it, as that might cause more headaches than I care to deal with. I have rooted Android devices in the past, but in general (IMHO), that seems to be less important these days for regular users.

That said, if anyone asked me whether this model is worth buying now, I'd of course say no, unless your plan is to strictly use it as an e-reader with a light web browser (like NB Pro). 
  • i_love_tazzus
    I'm not sure on this point... but I think the primary reason why the OS on this tablet takes up a lot of system RAM is because the OS is programmed to run in encrypted mode. If anyone can correct me here, I'd love to know more info. 
  • msimon1960
    i bought this unit new in March 2018 from a reputable large retailer.

It's a junk unit.  Bloated into oblivion with a defective memory management system.  It can't even run it's own apps effectively.

I will not buy another Acer product.  I STRONGLY RECOMEMEND THAT YOU DO NOT BUY!
  • Caslad
    Caslad Member Posts: 1 New User
    It's just taken half an hour to register on this site with my painfully slow Acer one 10. I raised the problem with support but was told to restore. Seemed to speed things up but so slow again I gave up thinking a fix would be issued some time. Shouldn't Acer doing something ??
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    @Caslad Try restore again. Then immediately go to settings and disable automatic updates which are likely slowing it down over time. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• robmorin
    robmorin Member Posts: 2 New User
    I agree, its slow and when charging unresponsive i bought mine on Amazon in Aug 2018, i will see if i can return it...
  • Brooklinjb
    Brooklinjb Member Posts: 1 New User
    I won Mine in November of 2017 and like the many other commenters mine is a total piece of *****. It is so painfully slow to do anything that we refer to it as the etcha-sketch although that is likely an insult to the original etcha-sketch at least when you got frustrated with one of them and shook it up and down something happened! My greatest regret, is I wasted 10 bucks on eBay buying a cover for it. I use it exclusively as a device to stream Spotify to my stereo, it can barely manage that. I believe the worst thing that could ever have happened to ACER regarding me or anyone who knows me is that I won this tablet for free because it is so lousy that I would never (likely) ever consider purchasing an Acer product in my life, knowing that at one time something this lousy made it through all the levels of testing and manufacturing in this company and they actually sold them as if they were functional devices .
  • Markvunguyen
    Markvunguyen Member Posts: 1 New User
    i bought mine from a store and it worked out fine until i brang it to church and it started to glitch out and lag like it was an old TV from the 80's. i didnt know what was wrong with it so i told my dad about the problem and he said he didn't know what to do either because my family never had time to go to repair shops or to get it looked at so i stopped worrying about it and juts stowed it away until now
  • JamesRaynor
    JamesRaynor Member Posts: 2 New User
    i bought mine from a store and it worked out fine until i brang it to church and it started to glitch out and lag like it was an old TV from the 80's. i didnt know what was wrong with it so i told my dad about the problem and he said he didn't know what to do either because my family never had time to go to repair shops or to get it looked at so i stopped worrying about it and juts stowed it away until now
    Now... why in the Hell would you bring it to church? I don't bring anything electronic with me to church, I treat Church Service as a sacred place to commune with Jesus and to repent my sins and temptations! If I do bring anything, it's my flip-phone and set it to vibrate or silent so as to be Respectful and Courteous to others!
    By the way, it's spelled "brought", as in past-tense, and didnt is properly spelled "didn't", and you should always end a comment with a ".", an exclamation mark "!" or if it's a question you use a ? mark. So where did you go to school? Because it's obvious that you don't seem to value everything you should or did learn, if anything, in High School or an institution of higher learning past that!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Often simply clearing the caches will help with speeds problems, though you might be confusing Android speed with network speed, and your church might not have very fast internet.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ptavares62
    ptavares62 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Worst tablet ever made
  • titussol
    titussol Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yes, I use the Eve launcher and avoid creating home screen icons.