960 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD not recognized by VN7-792g with 1.09 BIOS

Answers

• George87
    George87 Member Posts: 4 New User

Here are some HWiNFO64 screenshots if it's of any help.

SS1.PNGSS3.PNG

• dezmond
    dezmond Member Posts: 5 New User

The problem is uefi. The win 10 install must be a uefi install to even see the drive in the bios.

• George87
    George87 Member Posts: 4 New User

I was told today by my local Acer service center that my specific motherboard model should be NB.G6T11.006, but that's the only relevant info they could provide. Is there a way to check if this board has an NVMe compatible M.2 slot without disassembling the laptop???

@dezmond I think I installed Windows 10 in UEFI mode from an USB drive I extracted the ISO file to. My problem at this point is figuring out whether the M.2 slot on my motherboard supports the PCIe 3.0 interface, or if it's only SATA III. 

There is one PCI Express 3.0 x4 bus showing up in HWiNFO for my motherboard (second screenshot in my previous post), but I have no idea if this port is related to the (empty) M.2 slot, or to something completely different.

• dezmond
    dezmond Member Posts: 5 New User

From your hwinfo screenshot it looks like you should be good to go. I have a v15-591g-50mj and i was able to get a 512gb pm961 and a 500gb 960evo to be recognized. If the bios is in legacy mode it will not see the nvme drive. Its fairly easy to take apart the back cover of the laptop. Just be careful because the wire for the speakers is attached and not very long. It can be unplugged easily after the cover is seperated.

• Flutschi84
    Flutschi84 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2018

Hi wernerm,

Could you give the first ten characters of the motherboard serial number? You'll find it with HWINFO portable version (no installation). Thanks.

Hi laurent, can you please help me and check if my VN-7 792G is NVMe capable? 
    I have now a 2,5" Samsung 840Evo 120GB SSD and want to switch to an M.2 drive, because the  120G is to small.
    The M.2 Slot is free but i dont know if it's designed for SATA-rev.3 OR PCIe 4x with NVMe.

My Serial first 10: NBG6R11004
  • cruisinforgold
    cruisinforgold Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hi BTown,

Your motherboard only supports SSDs M.2 SATA 3.0.

Question - where is this data coming from? I also have the VN7-792G-79LX NX.G6TAA.002 and when I look on the HWINFO for buses I have PCIEXPRESS Root with 4x lanes on the Link Width. All indications from other posts is this is what's needed to run a M.2 NVMe SSD.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    edited January 2018

Hi BTown,

Question - where is this data coming from? I also have the VN7-792G-79LX NX.G6TAA.002 and when I look on the HWINFO for buses I have PCIEXPRESS Root with 4x lanes on the Link Width. All indications from other posts is this is what's needed to run a M.2 NVMe SSD.

Hi,
    I think it was the MB restriction or BIOS restriction as these models were not ready for NVMe technology when they were released but some have been able to install NVMe SSDs whom I believe must have got a different MB(latest).
  • cruisinforgold

Hi BTown,

Hi,
    I think it was the MB restriction or BIOS restriction as these models were not ready for NVMe technology when they were released but some have been able to install NVMe SSDs whom I believe must have got a different MB(latest).
    On the VN7-792G the BIOS 1.02 provided the PCIe changes like the VN7-592 got for NVMe on 1.03 release. This was sent to me in Nov 2015 although, I never ran an NVME SSD at the time.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

Hi BTown,

Hi,
    On the VN7-792G the BIOS 1.02 provided the PCIe changes like the VN7-592 got for NVMe on 1.03 release. This was sent to me in Nov 2015 although, I never ran an NVME SSD at the time.
    Hi,
    Have you tried the Storage controller driver from Samsung? There are Intel NVMe SSD for these models available online, have you tried inquiring from Samsung support?, I am really confused by this and couldn't find a useful answer for you.
    https://www.ipc-computer.de/acer/notebook/aspire/aspire-vn-serie/aspire-vn7-700/aspire-v-nitro-vn7-792g-738t/festplatte-25727985
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/consumer/
  • cruisinforgold

Hi BTown,

Hi,
    To all:

For those that might have my system (see info above).

I purchased the 960 EVO 1TB and was able to successfully install in place of my previous 850 EVO 512MB. It is running in nvme x4 mode quiet smoothly.
    Data is provided below. So it does work in these build sheet numbers and as a boot drive.

• BeTiNiS
    BeTiNiS Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi everyone! I recently purchased this laptop VN7-792G-79LX on Craigslist for $350. It has the stock 1TB 5400 HDD in it. Im looking to upgrade the RAM and m.2 slot, trying to figure out how to find if it is an NVMe or SATA m.2 slot. The first ten digits of my serial are: NXG6TAA002. 
  • cruisinforgold
    edited February 2018
    BeTiNiS said:
    Hi everyone! I recently purchased this laptop VN7-792G-79LX on Craigslist for $350. It has the stock 1TB 5400 HDD in it. Im looking to upgrade the RAM and m.2 slot, trying to figure out how to find if it is an NVMe or SATA m.2 slot. The first ten digits of my serial are: NXG6TAA002. 
    my laptop is the same as yours.  these have an M.2 slot that will handle NVMe or Sata based drives. The NVMe is only available to use if the bios is v1.02 or above. 

but be forewarned these laptops must be carefully handled in disassembly to get access to the slot. I originally imaged the 1TB drive and installed an m.2 850 EVO (SAT
    A) 512GB as the boot drive and I also replaced that slow 1TB with a 256GB Intel SSD Sata drive for some extra storage.  I've now installed an m.2 960 EVO 1TB NVMe as the boot drive (using clone image of the 850 EVO). 

And I'm running bios 1.09

good luck.
  • dowst
    dowst Member Posts: 30 Troubleshooter
    Even with Firmware 1.09 you will have on going problems with Windows 10 feature update failing and requiring a clean install.
    Acer don't seam to have any intent to fix the UEFI firmware for theses machines even for Spectre vulnerability according to them not being list as vulnerable machines  on there list even though they are skylake based.
    Best advice I can give is don't waste any more time and money on acer
  • cruisinforgold
    edited February 2018
    dowst said:
    Even with Firmware 1.09 you will have on going problems with Windows 10 feature update failing and requiring a clean install.
    Acer don't seam to have any intent to fix the UEFI firmware for theses machines even for Spectre vulnerability according to them not being list as vulnerable machines  on there list even though they are skylake based.
    Best advice I can give is don't waste any more time and money on acer
    I have had no issues with WIN10 updates on this laptop with the 960 EVO since being installed.

I would note that I couldn't get the imaged Win10 to work with the drive formatted as a GPT drive. I found info that on some systems using NVMe you need to format the drive as an MBR for it to work correctly.
    Once I set it up in MBR the drive worked on first bootup and it's successfully auto-updated with a Win10 update.
  • dowst
    dowst Member Posts: 30 Troubleshooter
    Yes poor implementation of UEFI firmware, may works ok in BIOS mode (no secure boot and disk size limited) but natively not with NVMe. Dell, Lenovo and others had the same issued but released firmware updates that correct this same problem but not Acer. They just say its not a supported configuration!
    To add to that no notification about Intel management engine vulnerability or acknowledgment of Spectre vulnerability for this series.
    On going support for a system, maybe a year from release. Buyer beware.

• ACEMİ_USTAD
    ACEMİ_USTAD Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    wernerm said:

Hi laurent_14

I am having exactly the same problem.

Would you be able to confirm if my model VN7-792g with 1.09 BIOS with first 10 digits NXG6RSA002 is NVMe compatible?

hwinfo control 
  • RingerMD
    RingerMD Member Posts: 1 New User
    I confirm that NVMe on my Vn7-792G is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dprater
    dprater Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just installed a MyDigitalSSD Super Boot 2 (SB2) SATA III (6G) SSD (512GB (480), SATA M.2 80MM (2280)) into my Acer Aspire E 15 e5-575-33bm without issue (other than the two boot drives issues described in other posts). The system recognized the 512M SDD without problems, and with it in place I'm now seeing 6 second power off to Win 10 login times, which smokes the old HDD. I moved my OS and all programs using MiniTool Partition Wizard Free and I'll be wiping the old HDD for data and recovery partition use.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    deleted post---
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Krond
    Krond Member Posts: 6 New User
    edited June 2018
    I have the following data from HWINFO:

VN7-792G-768K (NX.G6SEV.003)

Is here given a NVME-Support, or which m2-ssd can i plug in? Thanks in advance!