960 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD not recognized by VN7-792g with 1.09 BIOS

BTown
BTown Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Windows 10 has been updated as well as the BIOS and chipset but it will not see the 960 EVO ssdd.

I have a Windows 10 install on an 850 EVO SSD and the drive still doesn't show up.  I haven't upgraded my personal computer in sometime but this BIOS is extremely limited, basically has options for boot order and Legacy/UEFI only.  Is there anyway to unlock this w/o having to mod it?

There's lots of cross talk on the forums as to whether it's a SATA or NVME capable M.2 slot on this laptop.  I've spent a good deal of time on this and would really like for it to work.  Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer

Hi,

Do you have Windows 10 on both SSDs? If you have, remove 850 EVO SSD and see whether it boots with 960 NVMe SSD.

• BTown

I have tried to install windows to the 960 only with the SATA III 2.5 850 disconnected.  Windows says there's nothing to install to.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer

Hi,

I am sorry to disappoint you but according to this site it has no NVMe support:http://laptopmedia.com/laptop-m-2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list/

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,019 Trailblazer

Hi BTown,

Some models of Aspire VN7-792G were shipped with Samsung SM951 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe of 256 or 512Gb. May be the problem comes from the 960 EVO: PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.2 (partial).

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • BTown

NXG6TAA002

• BTown

So it can run the last generation of Samsung SSD's (*50 series) only?

• laurent_14

Hi BTown,

Your motherboard only supports SSDs M.2 SATA 3.0.

France
  • BTown
    Answer ✓

That's unfortunate, but thanks for the clarification.  I was looking at this review on amazon when I purchased the laptop:

https://www.amazon.com/review/RGW9QPAQARUB/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B015XBKYB0&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc

As I'm dealing with large samples and prefer that functionality and will have to return it.

• laurent_14

Sorry.Smiley Frustrated

This customer wrote:

Buy an SSD. I bought the 950 Pro 512 GB. Also bought an 850 Pro 256 GB, fits right in simply.

But it is VN7-592G-71ZL and yours is VN7-792G-79LX and FYI there are thirteen motherboards for the VN7-792G series so... be careful.

Edited: I just checked and both models haven't the same motherboard.

France
  • BTown

Since it was under the review for the same laptop so you can see my confusion.  It would be really cool if you guys listed what can take the nvme drives.  The laptop is a sweet deal otherwise.

• Sumdud
    Sumdud Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

But it is VN7-592G-71ZL and yours is VN7-792G-79LX and FYI there are thirteen motherboards for the VN7-792G series so... be careful.

Is there a list of NVME compatible versions or any other way to check if they will work?

• laurent_14

Hi Sumdud,

There is no list but may be I can check it with the first ten characters of the motherboard serial number. You'll find it with HWiNFO portable version (no installation). Do you own an Aspire VN7-792G?

France
  • Sumdud
    Sumdud Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Yes, it's VN7-792G, NBG6T11005.

• wernerm
    wernerm Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi laurent_14

I am having exactly the same problem.

Would you be able to confirm if my model VN7-792g with 1.09 BIOS with first 10 digits NXG6RSA002 is NVMe compatible?

• Hi wernerm,

Could you give the first ten characters of the motherboard serial number? You'll find it with HWiNFO portable version (no installation). Thanks.

France
  • wernerm

Hi laurent_14

NBG6R11004

Thanks and Regards

• Hi wernerm,

I think you already have a SSD PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe of 128Gb. Could you check it with HWiNFO? Probably this one.

France
  • wernerm

Hi laurent_14

It is the MZNLF128HCHP-00000 which is not NVMe.

Did you manage to determine if my motherboard supports NVMe?

Thanks and Regards

• Hi wernerm,

Sorry but I found no information about NVMe for this motherboard.

France
  • George87
    George87 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi laurent_14,

Can you (or anyone else) confirm if my motherboard supports NVMe SSD drives? I want to get the Samsung SM961 to use as my Windows 10 boot drive, but I need to know if it is compatible with my configuration. I have the VN7-792G-75N1 (NX.G6TEX.026) model.

Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Regards,

George