Can I upgrade my old Acer Predator G3-605 computer?

Sharkki
Sharkki Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives

Hello. I have thought about upgrading my old Acer Predator G3-605. The specs on this one are Nvidia GTX 760, Intel i5 4440, 8GB DDR3. I planned to get a Nvidia GTX 1060. I believe that it is compatible with my motherboard but then I ran into a problem with RAM. So the question is, can I use 16GB of RAM in this motherboard or is the maximum supported amount 8GB which I already have? The motherboard is simply called Acer Predator G3-605.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

G3-605 can handle up to 32GB of ram.

about the GTX1060, double check your PSU wattage, if it's the 500W model it's ok, if it's the 300W model, it's better if you buy a better model, 450W will be ok.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

G3-605 can handle up to 32GB of ram.

about the GTX1060, double check your PSU wattage, if it's the 500W model it's ok, if it's the 300W model, it's better if you buy a better model, 450W will be ok.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Sharkki

Thank you so much! Yes I have the 500W model so everything should be okay then. 

• BenX41
    BenX41 Member Posts: 7 New User

I am in the same situation and have gone ahead and bought the non-reference GTX 1060 for my Predator G3-605, but it looks like the 1060 is too big? Am I missing something?

• Sharkki

Hi. Which GTX 1060 model you bought? I bought a DUAL GTX 1060 and it fits perfectly. I'm no expert in these things but I do believe that any 1 or 2 fan GPU should fit.

• BenX41
  • Sharkki

From what I can see it should fit in the case. What do you mean by not fitting in? Is it too long or doesn't it fit in the PCI slot?

• BenX41

I've never had to upgrade before so I'm not too sure on what to do other than uninstalling the old drivers, and then switching out the old gpu for the new one but it looks like it wouldn't fit from my perspective IMG_2570.JPGIMG_2569.JPG

• Sharkki

I think it should fit. You need to remove the strange moving black thing out of the way of course. I think you should try putting it in. If it doesn't fit then you need to get a new model.

• BenX41

Strange moving black thing? Also it seems as though it wouldn't fit where the old card currently is, between the metal and the edge. What 1060 model did you buy?

• Sharkki

Top of the old graphics card is this black thing that moves. It's attatched to the case. And I bought DUAL GTX 1060. I checked and yours should be about the same size. You can double check if you want to.

• BenX41

That sounds promising but as far as I can tell it looks as though the allocated space is too small (sorry for quick edit) IMG_2573.JPG

• Sharkki
    All you can probably do now is just to try and see if it fits. I really can't help anymore. Good luck.
    852456 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello, finally i've you succeeded by changing your graphic card ?
  • Sharkki
    852456 said:
    Hello, finally i've you succeeded by changing your graphic card ?
    Hello. This thread is a few years old but to answer your question, yes the GTX 1060 did fit the computer perfectly.
    852456 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thanks for your answer, i'm a little late but i will upgrade the GPU now...
  • Oscar979797
    Oscar979797 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sharkki said:

Top of the old graphics card is this black thing that moves. It's attatched to the case. And I bought DUAL GTX 1060. I checked and yours should be about the same size. You can double check if you want to.

Hi! I'm trying to upgrade the GPU on my Predator G3-605. I've already done my research, and everything should be fine. I just wanted to know how to remove that black plastic thing. I haven't tried removing the old GPU yet, as I've never done it before and I don't want to try before the week-end. Do I need any tool or should it come off easily? As far as I can tell, it's made out of plastic and doesn't seem to serve any purpose.
  • Sharkki
    Sharkki said:

Hi! I'm trying to upgrade the GPU on my Predator G3-605. I've already done my research, and everything should be fine. I just wanted to know how to remove that black plastic thing. I haven't tried removing the old GPU yet, as I've never done it before and I don't want to try before the week-end. Do I need any tool or should it come off easily? As far as I can tell, it's made out of plastic and doesn't seem to serve any purpose.
    Hello. I also have no idea what the black thing was for, the pc worked fine without it. It has been a while since I had that pc but if I remember correctly, I didn't need any extra tools for the plastic piece. The gpu on the other hand might be screwed to the case so you will need a screwdriver for that.
  • Oscar979797
    Oscar979797 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sharkki said:
    Sharkki said:

Hello. I also have no idea what the black thing was for, the pc worked fine without it. It has been a while since I had that pc but if I remember correctly, I didn't need any extra tools for the plastic piece. The gpu on the other hand might be screwed to the case so you will need a screwdriver for that.
    I do have a screwdriver, no problem here. Thanks for the help.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    The plastic piece is an anti-vibration damper to help keep the GPU fan noise down. It's not critical, just be aware things might be noisier without it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pryme8
    pryme8 Member Posts: 1 New User
    ive also got a gtx1060 3gb 192 bits for mi g3 605 predator i dont really know whats going on but mi graphic card fan is not spinning it doesnt have a high temp right now but i think when i play mi pc fan goes cray not shure if the fans worked before driver update