Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Acer Aspire 7750G false battery readings?

Hello.

I recently bought an Acer Aspire 7750G. I noticed that when I tried to charge it the battery level would simply stay where it was and would not increase. I put this down to a faulty battery and am now using a new one however the issue remains and it will not charge past 7% even with a brand new battery.

I am hoping this is a false reading and not a serious hardware fault. Any assistance in troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: After draining the batter and leaving in on charge switched off for a while it is now stuck at 0%.

EDIT2: For a moment it chnaged to "plugged in, not charging" but I fixed that by following the steps I found in another thread on this site however it still wont charge past 1%.

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE Posts: 13,409ACE Trailblazer

What happens if you disconnect the power supply with the battery level indicator stuck at 0%?

Jack E/NJ

• AdammmmAdammmm Posts: 6Member

It warns of critical battery level before shutting down. At this point I'm fairly certain its a hardware issue.

>>>I recently bought an Acer Aspire 7750G. >>>

New or used? The battery in this machine could be over 5 years old if original. If so, I'd invest in a new battery for about $20 before concluding it's a hardware issue other than the battery itself.

Jack E/NJ 

• Getting a little tired of repetition but have you tried BatteryInfoView from Nirsoft ?

As stated in the original post, I have already replaced the battery.

Also, the battery has now climbed to 5% so it has charged a little, but bear in mind it has stayed at 5% for over 24 hours. Really confused about what's going on.

If you have a multimeter, please check that the voltage output on the charger's plug is stable. Should be about 15v or more open circuit.

Jack E/NJ

I do not have a multimeter. A local (and trustworthy) computer repair shop has offered to take a look inside my laptop to look for any faults free of charge. So I'm going to go there tomorrow and will report back of their findings if any.

Sorry about the late response, but I did have the laptop looked at.

The issue is a circuit on the motherboard that is supposed to take power to the battery whilst a seperate circuit powers the machine. It's fried. I was ripped off and sold a broken computer.

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting us know. A quick google search shows that replacement 7750g motherboards are priced between about $75 to $150. Probably not worth the expense for a 5 year-old design.

Jack E/NJ