Acer Aspire 7750G false battery readings?

Adammmm
Adammmm Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello.

I recently bought an Acer Aspire 7750G. I noticed that when I tried to charge it the battery level would simply stay where it was and would not increase. I put this down to a faulty battery and am now using a new one however the issue remains and it will not charge past 7% even with a brand new battery.

I am hoping this is a false reading and not a serious hardware fault. Any assistance in troubleshooting this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: After draining the batter and leaving in on charge switched off for a while it is now stuck at 0%.

EDIT2: For a moment it chnaged to "plugged in, not charging" but I fixed that by following the steps I found in another thread on this site however it still wont charge past 1%.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,431 Trailblazer

What happens if you disconnect the power supply with the battery level indicator stuck at 0%?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Adammmm

It warns of critical battery level before shutting down. At this point I'm fairly certain its a hardware issue.

• JackE

>>>I recently bought an Acer Aspire 7750G. >>>

New or used? The battery in this machine could be over 5 years old if original. If so, I'd invest in a new battery for about $20 before concluding it's a hardware issue other than the battery itself.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Getting a little tired of repetition but have you tried BatteryInfoView from Nirsoft ?

• Adammmm

As stated in the original post, I have already replaced the battery.

Also, the battery has now climbed to 5% so it has charged a little, but bear in mind it has stayed at 5% for over 24 hours. Really confused about what's going on.

• JackE

If you have a multimeter, please check that the voltage output on the charger's plug is stable. Should be about 15v or more open circuit.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Adammmm

I do not have a multimeter. A local (and trustworthy) computer repair shop has offered to take a look inside my laptop to look for any faults free of charge. So I'm going to go there tomorrow and will report back of their findings if any.

• Adammmm

Sorry about the late response, but I did have the laptop looked at.

The issue is a circuit on the motherboard that is supposed to take power to the battery whilst a seperate circuit powers the machine. It's fried. I was ripped off and sold a broken computer.

• JackE

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting us know. A quick google search shows that replacement 7750g motherboards are priced between about $75 to $150. Probably not worth the expense for a 5 year-old design.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ