Acer Aspire Nitro VN7-592G Audio randomly pops and cracks

Shumayal
Shumayal Member Posts: 58 Die Hard WiFi Icon

The speakers randomly give a pop sound (like tuck) while say when I'm browsing facebook and while scrolling I see a video which auto-plays (Even though without Audio). I also hear it randomly at other times whose pattern I have not been able to identify but sometimes before playing an audio and after stopping it.

The audio itself is fine. I can't 'disable enhancements' because I am left with only turning on or off Dolby Audio. I don't see how to update the Dolby Audio within the program itself as it just shows this:Capture.PNG

I then tried updating the Realtek SST driver through device manager and it detected a better one however after quite some time of downloading and installing where it felt it was stuck/frozen, I was displayed a message along the lines of a better driver was found but encountered an error while installing.

Rolling back did not work so I uninstalled and restarted. Now it says that the best driver is already installed. I assume the latest one has been installed.

Realtek High Definition Audio (SST) 6.0.1.7801 4/19/2016

There's another Intel Smart Sound Technology, Display Audio and NVidia Virtual Audio Device. All up-to-date.

The audio occasionally fixes itself so I kept running the Latency test until it detected again. The popping didn't happen so it didn't reach red as frequently as when it did before but the program did say that there could be issues in playing real time audio etc.

I ran a DPC Latency and here's the report

Note: My laptop is just a month old which was a display piece at Carrefour prior to me buying.

Spoiler
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:16:44 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: LAPTOP-32D96T7C
OS version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware: Aspire VN7-592G, Acer
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Logical processors: 8
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16264 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 2592 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 9306.458106
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 14.817806

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 3125.724690
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 4.034026

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 240.695988
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ACPI.sys - ACPI Driver for NT, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.015358
Driver with highest ISR total time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.017387

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 156752
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 2739.395062
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.107718
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.408137

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 4798007
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 2444
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 572
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 13
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: vsserv.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 1400
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 388
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 945368.334877
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.141595
Number of processes hit: 16

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 72.940193
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 240.695988
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 1.257791
CPU 0 ISR count: 142024
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 2739.395062
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 16.550116
CPU 0 DPC count: 3284879
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 43.952608
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 130.378086
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.134974
CPU 1 ISR count: 14279
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 314.762346
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 1.558941
CPU 1 DPC count: 91953
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 33.028503
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 54.853395
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.004126
CPU 2 ISR count: 440
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 2466.473765
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 3.417786
CPU 2 DPC count: 338559
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 43.372583
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 16.433642
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000097
CPU 3 ISR count: 9
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 452.058642
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 1.086398
CPU 3 DPC count: 93755
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 37.250762
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR count: 0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 2283.912037
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 4.421490
CPU 4 DPC count: 518249
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 50.891643
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR count: 0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 577.912037
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.799306
CPU 5 DPC count: 67113
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 32.462380
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR count: 0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1993.274691
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 4.058816
CPU 6 DPC count: 332060
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 41.778065
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR count: 0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 664.557099
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.899948
CPU 7 DPC count: 74468

latency.PNG

Best Answer

• Shumayal
    Answer ✓

@Otoshigami No, I don't get those ticks often. I only get it occasionally while watching videos but since they seem to occur at the same place on the video,  I deduce that it is normal for me.

Anyhow, to update anybody else following my thread. I would like to say that my problem has been resolved. I don't hear anymore crackling.

I sent my laptop to my local Acer approved service center and Acer ME connected with their technicians personally to advise on my problem as we had already done the troubleshooting via email.

The service center ordered new speaker and replaced my left speaker which was the faulty one.

My left speaker would not work occasionally. And when it would work, it would crackle. Now that is fixed.

The latency results are also lowered from before but still high. But hey, if I don't hear observe any audio problems or performance issues, then it does not matter to me. I would appreciate if someone more competent would look into these results and convey them to the right channels for driver development and hope to see driver updates soon, if relevant.
    latency.JPG

As again, please find the report generated here 

Spoiler
    CONCLUSION
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:47:29 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    RAM: 16247 MB total

CPU SPEED

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2232.888889
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 5.621403

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 2196.148148
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.422277

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 2230.611883
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.015619
    Driver with highest ISR total time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.026245

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 337969
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 228
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 5
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 2

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 2422.983796
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ACPI.sys - ACPI Driver for NT, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.026009
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.142478

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 11645878
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 3117
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 157
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 7

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: officeclicktorun.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 19683
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 9052
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 22369403018138.10
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 196818.532991
    Number of processes hit: 23

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 155.500856
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 2230.611883
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 5.922806
    CPU 0 ISR count: 334334
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 2422.983796
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 25.310671
    CPU 0 DPC count: 10476731
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 130.535708
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 441.479167
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.047581
    CPU 1 ISR count: 3286
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1204.663580
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.640694
    CPU 1 DPC count: 105821
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 82.967842
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 507.417438
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.006882
    CPU 2 ISR count: 397
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 811.503858
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 1.746758
    CPU 2 DPC count: 277068
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 133.508671
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 227.256944
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.004093
    CPU 3 ISR count: 164
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1089.878858
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.377286
    CPU 3 DPC count: 67672
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 131.573116
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 44.916667
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000447
    CPU 4 ISR count: 23
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 762.037037
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 1.841624
    CPU 4 DPC count: 292915
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 162.962593
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 594.234568
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.411146
    CPU 5 DPC count: 74022
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 80.409551
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1092.838735
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 1.35790
    CPU 6 DPC count: 213939
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 132.855780
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 636.991512
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.787792
    CPU 7 DPC count: 140991

Thanks Acer for this platform and the wonderful customer service in my region Smiley Happy. I think people should really stop troubleshooting themselves above and beyond what's reasonable and let experts do the job for once.

Answers

• pasafr
    pasafr Member Posts: 8 New User

Same here. I experience this issue since I bought this laptop.

• Shumayal

Please let me know if anybody has a solution to this. My speaker popping has returned back.

I hope the administrator can bring this to the attention of any Acer technician online asap. Man MadMan Sad

• benjaminchoate
    benjaminchoate Member Posts: 2 New User

I was experiencing similar audio popping and it seems like roughly the same time frame. Mine, however, has been resolved somehow now, and I think it may have been the Win10 Anniversary update that did the trick (I got mine early through the Windows Insider Program), though I also performed a windows refresh recently and it could have been that.

It's not a for-sure solution as I'm presenting it, but if you're still experiencing the pops it might be worth trying.

Cheers

Edit: I nearly forgot: I also updated the BIOS from either 1.03 or 1.06 to 1.11 around the same time.

• Shumayal

I have also updated my BIOS, reinstalled, Rolled back drivers and done all the general troubleshooting steps.

Other than Thunderbolt Update issue (which is a story for another thread) and another one.

I hope Acer development team can look into this before this model gets too old, or it already is, perhaps? Smiley Sad

• Shumayal

Also to add, apart from the crackling. My left speaker randomly decides to switch off. I confirmed with stereo tests that only the right one works.

So I can conclude from a lot of observation that

1. It is only the left speaker that crackles
    2. It is only the left speaker that occasionally finds itself shut off.
    3. Headphones don't have any issues.

I really want to claim on my warranty but they format my laptop which I want to avoid!

• Otoshigami
    Otoshigami Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi Shumayal,

Can you check my latest post here: http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Aspire-VN7-792G-strange-sound/m-p/480187#M14550 and tell me if your problem is the same?

• Shumayal
    Answer ✓

@Otoshigami No, I don't get those ticks often. I only get it occasionally while watching videos but since they seem to occur at the same place on the video,  I deduce that it is normal for me.

Anyhow, to update anybody else following my thread. I would like to say that my problem has been resolved. I don't hear anymore crackling.

I sent my laptop to my local Acer approved service center and Acer ME connected with their technicians personally to advise on my problem as we had already done the troubleshooting via email.

The service center ordered new speaker and replaced my left speaker which was the faulty one.

My left speaker would not work occasionally. And when it would work, it would crackle. Now that is fixed.

The latency results are also lowered from before but still high. But hey, if I don't hear observe any audio problems or performance issues, then it does not matter to me. I would appreciate if someone more competent would look into these results and convey them to the right channels for driver development and hope to see driver updates soon, if relevant.
    latency.JPG

As again, please find the report generated here 

Spoiler
    CONCLUSION
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:47:29 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    RAM: 16247 MB total

CPU SPEED

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2232.888889
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 5.621403

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 2196.148148
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.422277

REPORTED ISRs

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 2230.611883
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.015619
    Driver with highest ISR total time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.026245

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 337969
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 228
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 5
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 2

REPORTED DPCs

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 2422.983796
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ACPI.sys - ACPI Driver for NT, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.026009
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.142478

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 11645878
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 3117
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 157
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 7

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Process with highest pagefault count: officeclicktorun.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 19683
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 9052
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 22369403018138.10
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 196818.532991
    Number of processes hit: 23

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 155.500856
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 2230.611883
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 5.922806
    CPU 0 ISR count: 334334
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 2422.983796
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 25.310671
    CPU 0 DPC count: 10476731
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 130.535708
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 441.479167
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.047581
    CPU 1 ISR count: 3286
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1204.663580
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.640694
    CPU 1 DPC count: 105821
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 82.967842
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 507.417438
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.006882
    CPU 2 ISR count: 397
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 811.503858
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 1.746758
    CPU 2 DPC count: 277068
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 133.508671
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 227.256944
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.004093
    CPU 3 ISR count: 164
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1089.878858
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.377286
    CPU 3 DPC count: 67672
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 131.573116
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 44.916667
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000447
    CPU 4 ISR count: 23
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 762.037037
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 1.841624
    CPU 4 DPC count: 292915
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 162.962593
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 594.234568
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.411146
    CPU 5 DPC count: 74022
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 80.409551
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1092.838735
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 1.35790
    CPU 6 DPC count: 213939
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 132.855780
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 636.991512
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.787792
    CPU 7 DPC count: 140991

Thanks Acer for this platform and the wonderful customer service in my region Smiley Happy. I think people should really stop troubleshooting themselves above and beyond what's reasonable and let experts do the job for once.