[Abandoned] ubuntu on G9-591 - Answer: Not really

Options
zanson
zanson Member Posts: 12 New User

TLDR: Not without converting the laptop to AHCI and reinstalling windows as AHCI and even then, their may be issues with boot, and fan is not exposed by the BIOS to be controlled at this time.

-------------------------------

SO running into the bios issue, and wanting to return this laptop now since im still in the return time. i can either get a new G9-591, or look for a new brand.

Is it possible to get ubuntu to work on this laptop at all? or should i just move on and look for another laptop?

I really do like the hardware on this laptop, and it is a nice box. hits all the marks but not having ubuntu as a develoer kind of kills this for me.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

they just release a new BIOS today, so maybe it's wort to try to update it.

talking about Ubuntu issue, which version have you tried to install and which kind of error did you get?

not a big Linux expert, but can be usefull for other users.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • zanson
    Options

Yes, i saw the update, but i cant boot into anything. which dosnt help..

anyway, the reason i switch from legacy is that the EFI wasnt working to boot from the 1tb hdd. i attempted to install it about 4 times, manual partitions, took out the ssd and did an auto install, everything. not once did it see the boot partition. funny thing is it found the usb drive every time, so not sure what is going on there.

beside the boot issues, i have seen other people with problems with the fan speed and touch pad not working properly.

• IronFly
    Options

ok, thanks for the report; let's hope there will be a new BIOS update.

• zanson
    Options

So i was able to get it to boot again (just added the blueray drive back in and was able to get into the bios)

Still cant get it to boot off the second drive, and if i boot off the live usb, track pad is flaky, and the fan speed is 100%

and by flaky i mean the right button dosnt work, and the left acts as a right click. 

• zanson
    Options

Still cant get ubuntu to boot, finally figured out how to turn secure boot off (must have a password) but i still dont see it in the boot menu from the other drive. This should work, and i cant for the life of me figure out why the USB boots fine but the hdd dosnt.

• IronFly
    Options

so BIOS can't find the EFI partition on HDD, interesting.

about fan speed and touchpad, maybe a kernel update from terminal can fix both.

• zanson
    Options

no point in tacking that until i can boot from that disk. 

I may try to reduce the windows partition and attempt the install there, but i really shouldnt have to. im on the 1.10 bios now, fast boot is off, secure boot is off, that should do it byt all means. 

I may try to get my hands on another nvme drive and try the install there,

i suspect the bios just dosnt want to boot from that hdd

• IronFly
    Options

yes, obvious you need to be able to boot from HDD prior to update kernel, i was just thinking.

about not able to boot from secondary HDD by BIOS limitation, it can be...

• zanson
    Options

So, tried a few things...

Swaped the hdd for a pny ssd i have ubuntu working on my desktop.

-- Didnt show up in boot. (it's MBR so i expected that)

Changed EFI to Legacy.

-- Drive was not found in list

Changed raid to ACHI

-- Drive shows and can boot into working ubuntu

Change Legacy back to EFI

-- windows fails to boot, missing boot drive

Swapped back to the HDD (EFI, ACHI)

-- Dosnt show in the boot list

-- Windows doenst boot

Changed to EFI with RAID

-- windows boots fine, still no hdd in boot list

so, it seems there are 2 issues,In RAID mode, the 2nd HDD wont be seen by the EFI boot.

Without RAID i cant boot windows

So it seems i need to find a way to modify the EFI boot loader on the nvme SSD.

To do that, i have no idea.

• zanson
    Options

well, it looks like the only way this is gonna work is to remove windows, install ubuntu so grub is the main loader, then reinstall windows back to the drive and hope that it all still works.

Guess i will be getting rid of that cool windows predator loading logo. i cant see any other way to make it work.

The odd part to me still is the raid

• zanson
    Options

so, diving more into this issue, ran efibootmgr commands against /dev/sda1 where the windows efi exists, and it seems to just revert back to default every single time. there is no way to override it in any fashion from what i can tell.

even running boot-repair in ubuntu does nothing after reboot. changes to efi should stick, but something is resetting it outside of ubuntu

EDIT: this seems relevant. https://github.com/rhinstaller/efibootmgr/issues/19

• IronFly
    Options
    Why are you installing using MBR?
    Don't you create an Ubuntu UEFI compatible media?

Please use Ubuntu x64 and burn the iso image using Rufus, set GPT as partition scheme and FAT32 as format.
  • beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
    Options

I also did many different setups to install Ubuntu and I was always able to install, but after reboot the bootloader wasn't found.

My last Idea to this was also like that:

- I have 3 discs, 2 SSDS and 1 Sata HDD

- I put out the M2 NVME SSD and the HDD

- I install the Ubuntu on the blank SSD M2 Sata

I use Secure Boot and I let Ubuntu create the root and swap paritition (GPT). It should boot like that (some systems are also delivered with Linpus or so).

Then reconnecting all discs and using th e F12 Boot Mednue to choose the Boot Devices.

That's my idea, but I will wait for the next Ubuntu Release. That should have some new drivers and so, because Wlan  is not wokring and Fas are running close to full speed.

• beststevie
    Options

and one more thing... Ubuntu is not able to handle software Raids created by the onboard conbtroller. It's gemerally not supported by most Linux distributions.

• IronFly
    Options

beststevie wrote:

and one more thing... Ubuntu is not able to handle software Raids created by the onboard conbtroller. It's gemerally not supported by most Linux distributions.

Sad but true. Smiley Happy

• zanson
    Options

Why are you installing using MBR?
    Don't you create an Ubuntu UEFI compatible media?

Please use Ubuntu x64 and burn the iso image using Rufus, set GPT as partition scheme and FAT32 as format.

MBR Was used on desktop drive i was testing to rule out any hardware issues

I use Secure Boot and I let Ubuntu create the root and swap paritition (GPT). It should boot like that (some systems are also delivered with Linpus or so).

Then reconnecting all discs and using th e F12 Boot Mednue to choose the Boot Devices.

Tried that with the 1tb drive in AHCImode and it would not boot from EFI. the only way i made it work was AHCI with MBR.

Generally i havnt had issues with bios raid and linux, but it seems the laptop needs to be converted FULLY to AHCI to dual boot. but even with that im not positive.

that windows EFI partition is being regenerated by something on boot. I went into the ubuntu live cd in EFI mode, and with efibootmgr REMOVED ALL ENTRIES from the EFI boot loader. When i restarted, it's like i never did a thing to it. Short of partitioning that EFI, i cant see a way to modify it. and that there is the nail in the coffin.

Not willing to attempt the reload this whole laptop on AHCI with EFI just to run into this wall again. not worth the risk when i can return it, and get an alienware with the same specs and just do what i want with it.

Dual booting with EFI seems to be a common issue for acer, after some searching on all models on the forums here, it is very clear. Acer wants windows on the laptop, and nothing else. 

• zanson
    Options

Also, I did try removing the HDD, resizing the windows partition and letting ubuntu install on it's own with no success. once again the EFI did not take.

• beststevie
    Options

Ok, not a real propper solution but a workaround:

- I put  out the MVME M2 SSD with Windows

- I already have AHCI enabled (I can run both AHCI and RAID). This is important because even with the new Bios the Predator runs in "bricked" mode, if you set to legacy if raid is enabled)

- then you set to legacy

- you install Ubuntu on the other SSD (M2 SATA)

- Reboot and install additional drivers

- shutdown and switch off

- also the fans are running low now

- only Wlan is missing  (no driver or so)

Then I put back the other SSD (M2 NVME). Now I can boot booth: legacy (ubuntu) and uefi (Windows)#

Maybe I find a driver for the Wlan Moldule,

Ubuntu Mate 15.10 is tested with that.

• IronFly
    Options

So, you need to switch between Legacy and UEFI on BIOS?

a workaround for sure. Smiley Happy

• zanson
    Options

Yea, that was the only way i got it working as well.. and remember to turn the touchpad back to basic. i2c isnt supported in ubuntu.

anyway, good luck guys, im off to return this thing to micro center. it's been "fun"