Revo M1-601, Black screen on boot

vaux_2
vaux_2 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited December 2017 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I have an M1-601 which i've installed win 10 on.  All was working perfectly until I loaded the default BIOS values and since then i'm getting a black screen.

I've got it connected to the monitor with an HDMI cable.  I don't have an active display port cable to be able to confirm that video is being output on that rather the conencted HDMI.  Have only ever used HDMI so can't see why this would be an issue though.

Since everything went wrong when loading the BIOS defaults, is there a way to reset the BIOS like i can with the CMOS jumper/battery on a desktop?

Otherwise, is there a BIOS recovery tool/feature i can try?

Best Answer

• JS1980
    JS1980 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Easwar said:
    Hi JS1980,

I suggest you to create a new post to get a better response.

Thanks Easwar, but the issue has been solved. After switching to UEFI in the BIOS, the 'not supported' message was appearing on an older monitor I was using. I switched to a newer model with an HDMI connection and was able to get into the BIOS and toggle back into legacy mode and boot Windows.

Why it would no longer display a simple resolution after switching between the two is odd, but just passing this along.

Answers

• richp
    richp Member Posts: 7 New User

This is a HUGE problem with this model. I can replicate it as I have done it on 2 of them now. Both suffered.

If you change the bios to UEFI, reboot. Then reload bios default. Save reboot. Bang the revo is dead. No output over HDMI at all.

Is there a fix for this or do I have to raise ANOTHER return to ebuyer.

I do not have a display port cable or TV to try this on. I have only ever used HDMI.

• vaux_2

Thanks for letting me know that, i feel slightly exonerated now that i can point the finger at the the Revo!

I had previously changed the BIOS to UEFI but i'm fairly certain i had changed it back to legacy before i loaded the defaults since in UEFI mode it doesn't see any boot devices.  Maybe i didn't?  Either way it shouldn't be able to brick it.

Yup, return to ebuyer it is then.

Got an intel NUC on order instead, it seems they can be set to auto power on in the BIOS which was proving a PITA.

• richp

When you select in the BIOS to reset to defaults it auto sets it back to legacy \ unprotected mode. After that then you have one dead revo. Total brick, powers on but not HDMI output.

I have put a refund request into ebuyer. I hope they do a refund as I really dont want a replacement if the qaulity testing is so poor.

• richp

And how do we accomplish that exactly. The BIOS only has windows flashing software. I have openelec installed.

Can the BIOS update be put on a memory stick and it auto updates without needing any user input ?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

ok, got it.

i highlighted this thread to an Acer tech, hang tight. Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • vaux_2

Same for me, no visual display to be able to see anything.

Thats why i asked originally about a bios recovery feature, hopefully theres a way to flash it blind.

• richp

I have now tried connecting to a monitor via HDMI & Display port. Both produce no output at all. So it does seem there is a SUPER easy way to turn your revo into an expensive door stop. Such a shame as I own multiple acer laptops and products and all have been fine for years. This is my 3rd iteration of the revo brand I always use them for my media PCs and spread the good word about them to my friends and family.

Steps to make a door stop

1) Boot into bios

2) Set bios to UEFI and reboot

3) Set bios back to defaults and reboot

4) Door stop is now created

• richp

I have spoken with ebuyer and they would not even entertain a refund or replacement as its been over a month (by 2 days). They passed me through to Acer tech support. It is now booked in for repair, I have to mess around getting to a UPS drop off point at my own time and expense. Not happy at all.

• richp

Received my revo back. They had to replace the motherboard, all becuase of a bug in their bios.

• vaux_2

Oh well, guess it'll be a return and a refund then.

What BIOS version did they flash on your new mobo?  Just wondering if its A3 like on the website or if they put something newer on?

• richp

The bios is V3.

I noticed in Kodi that it was reporting 4 CPUs. How very odd. I then checked out the model number of the CPU and found out the repair guys have installed the pentium version of the mobo\CPU instead of the cheaper Atom I had. Keep that quiet though ;-)

• vaux_2

I'm gussing they wanted to hang onto the mobo/cpu to be able to diagnose it properly.

Nice little step up though Smiley Happy

• Mahmoudeid
    Mahmoudeid Member Posts: 1 New User
    same issue here
  • sangokushi
    sangokushi Member Posts: 12 New User

Does it mean the latest BIOS version R1 A03 fixed this black screen issue? Thanks

• Guchi
    Guchi Member Posts: 1 New User

I thought i'd chip in on how I fixed this issue.

When this happened to me, I thought maybe pulling the Cmos battery might help, but didn't want to disassemble the device and right off my warrentee.

So I rang Ebuyer who sold it to me, and they advised me to do exactly that!

It worked so heres a quick guide, no seals are broken, so shouldn't cause problems later as long as you are careful.

That said I would contact the seller to be sure.

DISCLAIMER, this worked for me but may not for you, you can damage your device and I cannot take responisblity if you do, and I doubt acer will either.

So before you start, earth yourself, either with an anti static strap or grabbing a nice earthed pipe, the box is insulated and not grounded itself so bear that in mind. Try not to touch anything with your bare hands.

Step 1: Unplug everything.

Take out the power, any usb or hdmi leads and any memory cards.

Take off any modules, and take the magnetic top panel off.

Step 2: Remove Feet

Carefully remove the four rubber feet on the underside these go about 1.5mm deep so you'll need to poke them out with ideally a spludger, try to use somthing plastic to lessen change of scratching the casing.

They are held in by double side tape, so need a bit of force, just be careful.

Step 3: Unscrew base

under the feet are four holes with small phillips head screws, you'll need a reasonably long Phillps #1 bit to get at them, they dont need a lot of force.

Step 4: Remove base

Theres no clips it should just come off easily, mine did.

Step 5: Unplug Battery

The CMOS Battery is a coin type battery stuck to part of the board, don't try to remove it its stuck to one of the chips and you don't want to damage that!

The connect is a white and cream two pin plug and socket with at red and black wire.

The plug is small and fiddly, and easily broken.

DO NOT PULL IT OUT BY THE WIRES - chances are you will pull the wires out of the plug, or damage the socket.

Instead use a plastic Spludger (or if not handy use the edge of a Debit/Credit card) to push the plug out, theres two little ridges on either side, gently wiggle the plug out of the socket by pushing either side until it comes out.

BE GENTLE AS POSSIBLE, if you slip and damage the board, thats it game over, enjoy your new doorstop!

Step 6: Wait for 10 minutes

Probably doesn't need more than a few seconds but nice to take a break right?

Step 7: plug battery back in

Should be easy to push it back in, again do it holding the plug and be gentle, don't force it in with the wires.

Step 8: test!

Plug in the power and the HDMI/Display Port and turn the unit on.

Mine just booted straight into Freedos which was installed.

if nothing happened, take the battery off again for longer and try again.

Step 9: Put it back together.

Simply reverse what you just did, when you get to the feet you may need some fresh tape, i didn't but it all depends on how well they came off.

Step 10: Configure Bios again

Once you are working again re-enter the bios, some settings don't get reset (such as passwords) so go through all of it, and Dont reset to defaults again Smiley Happy

• cal168
    cal168 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

Maybe you can try that press F9(load default setting) then press F10(save and exit) then press Enter when power is on even black screen.

• Porl1878
    Porl1878 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had the same problem, followed Guchi's suggestion from above and all is ok now.

Thank you Guchi 
  • JS1980
    JS1980 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I realize this thread is a few years old, but wondering if someone can help. Recently ran into the same problem setting the BIOS to UEFI mode on my M1-601, when the system boots I get a 'not supported' message on the screen and nothing else. Tried using both HDMI and display port outputs.

Also tried to access setup by hitting the DEL key during boot, and removing the CMOS battery and letting the unit sit for as long as overnight didn't help. Not sure what else to try at this point.

Thanks.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi JS1980,

I suggest you to create a new post to get a better response.