Intel HD driver crash

Options
tailtactics
tailtactics Member Posts: 8 New User

ACERV17 Nitro Black Edition here with an annoying video card issue . Rather , the default intel card continuously crashes and even freezes my pc on occasion . I've searched the web and there has been talk about it with no real solution . Hoping people who have encountered this or just have good advice would be able to assist me in this . I tried updating to the latest driver but because it is a defaulted graphics card there is no update ( I used the intel utility manager ) . I even uninstalled the driver and it does no good as I can't enjoy other programs without it . You all are great ! thx in adv .

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

you can try to uninstall Acer intel drivers and use Intel generic VGA drivers.

can you post the exact laptop model?

which windows OS version is installed?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tailtactics
    Options

hi

thanks for your reply

The exact model number is:

Aspire VN7-791G-792A Black Edition Nitro

I'm running:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1511

thx again in advance

• IronFly
    Options

You are not alone with Intel graphic crashes, it hurts a lot of laptops from various brands; one way to fix it is to download Intel latest graphic drivers from Intel website, uninstall Acer's Intel drivers and install the downloaded one.

have a read:

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Display-driver-stopped-responding-an-has-recovered/m-p/417961#U417961

• tailtactics
    Options

I checked out the thread and went through with the suggestion and still , the driver crashes . so any advice what to do from here ?

• IronFly
    Options
    I think we need to wait a fix from Intel or Acer.
  • sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

I think you did something wrong in those suggestions. Can uou tell is what version of the intel HD graphics uou have installed? If it is 4256 then you did something wrong and that's it.

Unfortunately it's not intel's job to fix this problem, is either Microsoft, but I think it is more Acer, because I am sure Acer suggested to Microsoft that the best driver for these ntebooks are the 4256 version of it.

Intel releases regulary new versions f the drivers (curently at 4380) but you need to download them from the intel web page.

Unfortunately acer neglects the driver support on their download page. They have there a single version from september and never updatated the driver, even if is clearly known that it has some issues.

• TuanNg
    TuanNg Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Me too, i got the same issue.

After trying to uninstall Acer driver to install Intel generic driver, it rolled back to the old version, and crash happen again.

i use VN7-592G-77DU with Windows 10 Pro, Intel HD driver version 4279, while the latest from Intel is 4352 (released December 22, 2015. Please update the driver!

• tailtactics
    Options

This problem isn't going away , i don't know what to do ...

• tailtactics
    Options

[at] sharky25k I have the 4300 version . is it the version that is causing the problem ?

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

Well that's interesting. I've had the 4300 version of the driver and it did not have any problem, at least this was my caseSmiley Happy. The problematic version was 4256 I think (not sure about the last 2 numbers).

You could try the beta driver?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?v=t

But I don't guarantee it will solve your problem.

• TuanNg
    TuanNg Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    @sharky25k; everytime i uninstall the driver, it is rolled back automatically by Windows, do u know how to prevent it.
    Thanks
  • sharky25k
    Options

Hello,

Yes, there is a workaround. You need to disable windows from updating your intel driver.

Please read this thread, follow the suggestions and it should work. But first read the entire thread, and carefully follow all the steps.

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Display-driver-stopped-responding-an-has-recovered/m-p/418997#M8544

• tailtactics
    Options

Is there a way to run a program off the nvidia driver ? .. its a game so naturally it should run off that . I dont know why it chooses to use the intel driver .

• sharky25k
    Options

Hello,

Yes there is a workaround also for this.

Right click on the Nvidia Gforce Experience icon in taskbar and select Open Nvidia control panel.

Then here you will have on the left side some options. Select manage 3D settings and then in this page you can go to program settings, and select your program from the drop-down menu and select the High performance graphics processor. Apply the settings and you are done. If the program is not in the list you can add it manually.

• tailtactics
    Options

this doesnt seem to work i still get the error message . is there a way to disable the intel driver ? I want to make the nvidia graphics card the default for all processes . thx on adv