Display driver stopped responding an has recovered

andyz
andyz Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter

crash.jpg

This is what I keep getting on my Aspire VN7-791G laptop with Windows 10 installed and it causes lots of issues with programs. I can not use latest intel drivers because it seems special manufacturer (acer) modified drivers are used but either they are not up to the job or the nvidia harware is at fault - not sure?

Either way this is not a good experience for me after paying a lot for this laptop so can anyone help fix this?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

download the exe version of latest Intel driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-

follow this instructions to uninstall your custom Acer driver and prevent windows 10 to restore it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • andyz

Well I tried that and uninstalled the old driver but possibly it has just reverted back to the Acer one on next boot up - currently it says intel driver: 10.18.15.4248 for 4600 card and it still crashes

• IronFly

you need to follow microsoft instructions.

check also for a Intel folder on C:\ and delete that folder, then uninstall drivers reboot and install the Intel drivers.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

The most critical part in the instructions is that when you uninstall the driver from device manager check the option, "Delete the driver software for this device". After this just restart the computer and immediately install the 4300 one from the intel web page (I am refering to the last 4 numbers in the driver name). Preferably download the driver before the restart, because the windows update will start working during the time in which you download and so on.  After install immediatelty run the tool provided in the link above to and use it to disable the ability of windows 10 to update the graphics driver. This will solve the problem. I had the same issue and now I am running 4300 version of the drivers which still has some minor problems but is not crashing as the 4248

• andyz

Thanks for trying guys but it just re-installs the old driver again and I did everything - it's a major pain - where is Acer support when you need it, they need to fix their driver

• andyz

"1. uninstall the driver from device manager check the option, "Delete the driver software for this device"."

This works fine

"2. After this just restart the computer and immediately install the 4300 one from the intel web page"

This is fine

"3. After install immediatelty run the tool provided in the link above to and use it to disable the ability of windows 10 to update the graphics driver."

The tool then diagnoses problems and re-installs the old 4248 driver! If I don't run the tool it comes back shortly anyway

"Delete c:\Intel"

Could not do this at any time

Nearly there but not

• IronFly

try also:

windows logo key + x

System

Advanced system settings (on the left side)

Hardware Tab

Device installation settings

choose No and Save

then start again with uninstall drivers + software etc etc

• andyz

Ok I did all those things and the driver still wouldn't stick but then I 'rolled back' the driver to the newer one and it is sticking for now so fingers crossed

• sharky25k

Hi,

So you are stuck at the third step. When you start the tool, did you try to click on the small Advanced text in the window? After you click, uncheck the automatically apply solutions, and click next. After this, click on hide updates option and check the intel hd graphics one. In the meantime it can be possible that w10 already "works" to screw you over by installing again the bad driver. If this happens and you did hide the update as I suggested, just repeat the steps 1 and 2 from your post, and hopefully, the problem will be gone. I have the same notebook and I had the same problem, and this was how I solved it, so it should work.

• andyz

For more tips: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back-control-driver-updates-windows-10/

The real issue is Windows 10 wants to handle all updates automatically but not all manufacturers have updated their custom drivers to latest stable ones - Acer?

I had to roll back the intel driver after an update but so far its mostly keeping the newer 4300 driver

• IronFly

yes, it's the worst thing of windows 10.

• rje
    rje Member Posts: 1 New User

Before trying to uninstall drivers I found a way that seems to work:

- Just make your laptop use Nvidia all the time, never Intel, like so: https://support.lenovo.com/za/en/documents/ht078706

• Loghomery
    Loghomery Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi to all of You!

I have an ASUS V3-772G and the same problem.

As I have passed the 30 days deadline of the opportunity to rollback to win 8.1 this message comes up in every 5 minutes.

It stops videos, and also stops my professional cad software as I work.

I was able to update from 10.18.15.4248 to 10.18.15.4256 - downloaded from the ACER website, but nothing has changed.

• sharky25k

The second post in this topic sends you to download the latest intel HD graphics driver from the intel's webpage not the acer drivers page.

The 4256 is also a buggy version of the driver which still is not updated by acer on their webpage, even if it is mentioned in more than a dozen posts that the driver has many issues.

• Loghomery

I did it as suggested by rje in message 13,

Nvidia is set to run all time, but Intel's message is just present...

probably not as often as before.

• sharky25k

Hi,

Follow the second post not the 13 one. You can never completely disable the intel HD graphics on a notebook. All the processing which is done by Nvidia gets via the intel hd graphics to the monitor. Nvidia is just a coprocessor which will kick in when it's needed (it is controlled by Nvidia optimus, and by your manual settings). So just setting the Nvidia as default for all the programs will not solve the fact that you have a crappy Intel HD graphics driver. The driver is still used even if the processing capacity of the hd graphics is not used.

• Loghomery

That's right. Specially that my notebook is 99% on a 24" ASUS monitor.

So I am to download and install this:

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

Version: 15.40.25.4463 (Latest) Date: 4/29/2016

nice job for tomorrow.