G9-791-78CE SSD upgrade

Options
claustin
claustin Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

Hey there guys. I have a question about upgrading the SSD('s) in this machine. My previous two gaming laptops were Razer Blades and this is my first Acer so hopefully you can help me out. This model came with the lite-on 256GB SSD, however I've seen in online teardowns that some models have dual SSD's installed in RAID0 (according to the site). I'd like to upgrade mine to use two Samsung 850 evo 500GB SSD's in RAID0, but it doesn't seem possible to clone to them if they're set up in RAID using Disk Management. Can anybody tell me how to accomplish this (or can it be done?) Also, if anybody knows where to get the extension bracket to secure the top SSD I'd appreciate it. I've been trying to figure this out for days. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I should add that RAID0 isn't a must. I'd be fine with a spanned drive as well. I just want them as one volume.

Answers

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
    Options

Hi,

if you didn't find this http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/acer-predator-15-ssd-compatibility/m-p/406479#U406479 it sais a lot. If you only want to have capacity, you could use Windows features. But it has some consequences like many backup-programs cannot handle it ...

Can you post the exact model? For Rad0 you will have to do a fresh install by the way. Or you can image your OS and restore it to the created Raid0.

• claustin

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for the reply. I did see that thread, but didn't see so much about installing on a RAID0 as about SSD compatibility. My model is the G9-791-78CE. I don't have any problem creating the striped or spanned volume, but I can't clone my drive or clean install to it. The Windows 10 installer says it can't be installed on and macrium reflect says something about sectors being the wrong size. My BIOS is set to RAID from the factory, but there's no RAID menu to select drives for a fake RAID setup (which apparently Acer is notorious for).
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

first of all update your BIOS if not already updated:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.06_A_A.zip?acerid=635854197394894052&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=PREDATOR%20G9-791&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

then, at least on S series, to enter Intel Raid management, you need to set Legacy on BIOS (instead of UEFI), set RAID on HDD, save and exit.

at next boot CTRL+I will be available after BIOS check.

create the RAID array, exit, boot to BIOS again and switch back to UEFI. 

if Intel RAID management is still not available, check KEHinWA post (message 17):

http://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series/R13-R7-371T-Raid-0/td-p/366145/page/2

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • beststevie
    Options

Ok, I see. So the only possibility should be, to find an external solution. If you have a pc with newer Intel Chipset you could create the raid0 and as the rad info is usually stored at the discs it should be discoverd. I've read about similar things on other Skylake notebooks, which wre solved only by Bios (EFI) updates, which added the raid config features.

Or you can boot from the 2,5 hdd and there you'll take the Intel Rapid storage manager, to create it?

• beststevie
    Options

one thing with setting on legacy:

once I did it and the machine didn't boot any more. Bios wasn't accessible any more. I had to put out every disc to make it boot again. Maybe it's different to you.

• claustin

Tinkerer

Options
    I'd read that too about not being able to boot, or maybe it was just enter the bios again, after setting it to Legacy. But maybe that's fixed in the new firmware, which I did upgrade to the latest last night. Version 1.06. And yep I've seen that thread detailing the workaround, thank you. It just seemed like a real pain in the keister so I figured I'd save it till a last resort. Right now I'm actually booting off the 2.5" (which I actually upgraded to a 2TB EVO SSD and cloned the stock lite-on drive to) if that helps any part of the process. I'm not booting from the disks I'm working with.
  • claustin

Tinkerer

Options

beststevie, were you on the latest bios when you had the legacy boot issue?

• beststevie
    Options

It's with latest Bios. I could reproduce it. Maybe if I would format the discs before it works. I'm not such an EFI hero,

but maybe it's more a question of how to than a Bios issue.

• claustin

Tinkerer

Options

Came across another thread mentioning that the boot issues can happen if you switch to legacy mode without disabling secure boot. Not sure if it's relevant. How did you get back into your bios while in legacy? Just removed the drives?

• beststevie
    Options

Yes, removing  the drives let me set back to UEFI and boot aganin.

• claustin

Tinkerer

Options

WELP the first suggestion was a no-go. As beststevie said, once you put the bios in legacy mode, it will no longer boot or allow you to get into BIOS settings without unplugging all the drives. I tried it with secure boot disabled and with only the clean, unformatted SSD's installed (an not installed), but no matter what, nothing worked unless everything was unplugged.  I'll have to give those instructions from KEHinWA a go, although I see that there are a few wrinkles involving version numbers of tools and drivers not playing well together. I'll see if I can wrap my head around it all.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i think the thread you mention is this one:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Predator-G9-591-Fatal-Flaw/m-p/400530#M20

i highlighted again this issue even if Acer-Cory said BIOS 1.06 was released to fix Legacy issue.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

We are currently looking into this and I hope to provide an update soon. It will probably be at least 3 or 4 days before I have additional information. I appreciate your patience.

• Silvarez
    Silvarez Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying new ssd for the other slot which is 22110, but i can' even find this kind of drive. I'm just wondering if there is any country that is selling it. Anyone knows?

What I read in other topics is that ppl are buying  2280 B+M drives and there are working fine. Are this the only type of ssd to put there for now?

• claustin

Tinkerer

Options

yeah I haven't seen any 110mm m.2 drives. In a Predator teardown that showed both slots used the 110 slot used an 80mm drive with an extension bracket to secure it. I haven't been able to find a bracket, but I do currently have two Samsung 850 Evos installed and they both work fine. I just can't RAID them into a single boot volume yet like the one in the teardown was, which is stupid.

• Silvarez
    Silvarez Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Yeah all of that is a little bit akward, but I read somewhere that macbooks are using 22110 drives so where are they, lol?

Thanks for some informations, I will leave my 256gb ssd and probably buy also samsung 850 evo and we will see how they will work.

• claustin

Tinkerer

Options
    Yeah unless I'm mistaken MacBooks use custom boards for their ssd's. They aren't off-the-shelf parts. You have to go to places like OWC for newer MacBook ssd upgrades that aren't typical SSD drives.
  • claustin

Tinkerer

Options

Hey there Acer-Blayn. Not trying to be pushy or impatient or anything but just wondering if there's an update on this? 

• beststevie
    Options

Yes, it smells a bit dissapointing Smiley Wink

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

Sorry, but I did some checking, and was not able to get any additional information about supporting this hardware configuration on this system.