acer predator 15 ssd compatibility

Options
intelnikola
intelnikola Member Posts: 11 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

i read that acer predator 15 supports 2280 type m.2 ssd and 22110 type m.2 ssd, so my question is if you can put 2280 type ssd into a 22110 type slot for second ssd

Answers

• beststevie
    Options

Hi,

the nvme slot is compatible with both types. The sata3 connected pot has only M.2 2280.

But not all current SSDs are fully supported.

Cheers

steve

• simonpatterson
    simonpatterson Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options

Hi,

I have a Predator 17, but this info should be the same for a 15.

The 2280 slot is 'M' keyed, which allows SATA or 4 lane PCIe.

The 22110 slot is 'B' keyed, which allows SATA or 2 lane PCIe.

I have seen review models with a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, which is NVME and only available in 'M' keyed 2280 size.

I have just bought one but can't get the BIOS to recognise it. Disk cloning software sees it, but the BIOS doesn't.

• beststevie
    Options

Hello, yes, a compability updatre is needed to regognize the 950Pro correctly in the Bios. Tools like Acronis are not working, because it cannot handle the device which is not regognized in the Bios. It runs well after cloning the slow SSD. I use the Old to cache the Sata hdd. It works nice for me, as I have to copy the same big files more than one time it reaches almost the speed of the ssd while reading. Let's wait for Acer??? I've read in other forums that they have equal problems with Notebooks from Asus for e.g. So the NVME/Sata controller driver developers are needed?

I found a tool with windows environment which is working for backups. It's from Paragon and it's called Hard Disc Manager.

steve

• simonpatterson
    Options

So we have to wait for a BIOS update from Acer before we can boot using NVMe, or even have the BIOS recognise one is installed ? How long will that take ?

So why do Acer provide review units with a 950 Pro already installed ? And they even sell Predator laptops with 512GB SSD's in them. I can only assume they are the same 950 Pro as the review models contain.

I can get mine to show in the BIOS if it's set to Legacy boot mode, but that's no good.

• beststevie
    Options

Hi,

in my understanding it boots the NVME Slot if there is a regognized (cloned) ssd or not. Did you try the 950 Pro standalone (only together with the Sata hdd)?

I installed the SAMSUNG driver, which seems to  work only correctly in the AHCI mode.

So I can boot it and I can work with it, But a usual thing for controller developers and SSD

Firmware developers is to release updates for a correct communication between the 2 components. It's not such a big deal usually.

As I already wrote in this forum, my reseller was not able to give any information about the SSDs in advance. I was really dissapointed to find this "bottleneck" from Liteon in the very expensive notebook. Asus for e.g. uses a PM 951 which is also a quite cheep OEM product.

steve

• simonpatterson
    Options

I wasn't dissapointed when I discovered the LiteOn drive, I was angry. All the reviews talked about the wonderful Samsung NVMe drives, and after paying a considerable sum for this lapweight, I find a  LiteOn. That's why I went out and bought the 950 Pro.

My problem is: The 128 LiteOn is installed in the 2280 slot and has the os, recovery & oem partitions and folders on it.  The 950 is blank. and is also 2280 size.  How do I connect both at the same time to clone one to the other.

I got around this by installing the 950 in the laptop, and putting the LiteOn in a M.2->SATA adapter and connecting that with a USB->SATA cable. I booted aomei backupper from a USB stick and could see both drives.

I cloned the LiteOn onto the blank 950 Pro. When it had finished, I discovered that it had created an MBR disk, not a GPT one. So I had to use DiskPart to convert it to GPT, and waste another hour doing another clone.

Diskpart confirms that the second clone was GPT and all the correct partitions are there but it doesn't show up in the BIOS. It must know it was there because it gave me the GPT partition table backup/restore option (Yes, I disconnected the LiteOn so I know it wasn't seeing that one).

I have tried all the BIOS disk/booting options and can't get the 950 to show in the boot list.

• beststevie
    Options
    But you konw, that the liteon fits in both slots? Smiley Wink cheers steve
  • simonpatterson
    Options

Oh but only if it was that easy!

The other slot is 22110 sized, so while the LiteOn connector will physically fit in the slot, there is no way to screw down the other end.  I did try it, I got around the mounting problem by taping the loose end down so it couldn't spring up.  It still didn't work.  With both SSD's installed, it tried to boot, but the HDD led flashed for about 5 seconds then an 'Inaccessible boot device' error appeared.

I'm still looking for a way to get the BIOS to recognize an NVMe ssd, and boot from it!

• beststevie
    Options

Ok, mecanically I din't find the end solution for physical installation . I just fixed it with some heat resistent, very snooth material. As the Notebook is always on the same desk, I don't think I will loose it Smiley Happy .

I got also the message, that it's not accessible, but after running one time in save mode, it was fixed.

Maybe before migrating the system you could install the Samsung driver from Samsung.

There's no way than updating the Bios either of the Controller or the Samsung SSD.

So let's look forward to hearing from Acer soon?

steve

• simonpatterson
    Options

An update:

I eventually got the LiteOn cloned onto the 950 Pro, used Macrium Reflect to adjust the partitions (moved recovery to the end of the drive and expanded the main data partition to fill the rest of the drive).

I have been using it for a week now and it seems to work fine. It still doesn't show up in the Bios at all but still boots, and shows in the boot selection menu as 'Windows Boot Manager ()'.

It gets fairly hot but It is fast, really fast. Samsung Magician shows ~2400 MB/s read speed.

• Soegaard
    Soegaard Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

just got a Samsung m.2 ssd 850 evo 128gb into the machine along with the install liteon 128gb m2. ssd and it works great.

Can i do raid with those or?

right now, i have OS in one and games on the other.

• alchem13
    alchem13 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

So is it possible to use the included 128GB PCIE AND the Samsung 950 pro? Saw elsewhere that it said that both slots were "M" key. Is it not? Seems to be conflicting info so would just like to be clear. Dont mind scrapping the included M.2 card for the Samsung if they will not both work, but would be nice to have extra space. Bought this for music production so trying to get as many drives running as possible while not tapping into my i/o ports that i'll need for other things. Already ordered Predator and Samsungs 950 pro pcie and 850 ssd, and optical drive caddy.

• intelnikola
    intelnikola Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

is there any way to put 2280 type ssd into the upper slot which is 22110, because there are none 22110 ssd to buy in my country

• Soegaard
    Options

No problem.

as i wrote i got a samsung 2280 m2 ssd 128gb in the 22110 slots along with the install 128gb so no problem. Smiley Very Happy

• tomtombak
    tomtombak Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

hi, did you purchase the M2 2280 type 'M" or the type 'B+M" 

• Soegaard
    Options

I bought this one, just in 128gb, fits perfect and very fast. Smiley Happy

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-N5E500BW

• alchem13
    Options

Thanks for the link. I think the 500GB version will be nice in that second slot.

• alchem13
    Options

Out of curiosity, is the included 128GB M2 B+M keyed or just M keyed? Will it fit in the 22110 slot?

• tomtombak
    tomtombak Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

it should be the 2280 m2 B+M mate

• vbox
    vbox Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hello

Could you plz describe more exactly how you install 2280 into 22110 slot?