Can't access bios on Aspire V5 571p

KarterJK
KarterJK Member Posts: 7 New User

I reinstall from factory discs Windows 8.0, I then proceeded to update to Window 8.0 Pros, I then went to do updates (178 of them).  After downloading, it went through the install process, but failed.  It next, went into reverting changes, after sitting for several hours, it never changed.  I tried to restart and keeps going into the reverting changes loop.   I wanted to load and reinstall, but now I can't get into Bios.

Did the F2, Del, thing.  Tried F12, tried the removing battery and holding down for 60 seconds, etc, etc, etc.  but it still refuses to access the bios page and keeps going into the stupid reverting changes loop.

How in the world can I get back into bios?  I don't want to have to remove hard drive etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• KarterJK
    Answer ✓

Actually I solved this.

I had to download the bios upgrade, it is an .exe file that you just run, and will automatically update.  It seems that the Aspire V5 571p (mine laptop) had a glitch, where it could lock the getting into the bios.  The update resolves it.

For anyone with the same issue, just go to the download area and get it.  

Thanks for all the inputs

Answers

• KarterJK

@ACE philetus

well, yes that is all the obvious stuff, which I stated I have tried, tried, and re-tried, and every other method I can think of.  PLUS why would you send someone to a Lenovo website for an Acer solution?  

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

It's not a Lenovo solution, it's a windows 8,8.1 solution.

• KarterJK

Well thank you for trying, none of those solutions worked.  I am just frustrated will all of it, it has been 4 days, trying to resolve this issue.  It is a windows 8/8.2 and Acer problem, why would Acer lock people out of the bios, just let them switch however they see fit.   Let us face millions of people have had this same issue with Acer.  It really needs a resolution.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

have you already tried F12 with a bootable USB flash drive or DVD bootable media inserted?

sometimes the only solution is to disconnect the HDD, i know not the best on laptop without HDD bay; boot without HDD and enter BIOS.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • KarterJK

yes I did the F12 option, and I don't want to tear down my laptop just to get to the hard drive.  Not sure what I will do.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Try the fail-to-boot-3-times method described by Acer-Blayn......

http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/ATC-605-UB11-Reboot/m-p/247414#U247414

I would also have a DVD or USB on stand-by of Windows 8.1 Pro that you can create here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Personally, if I could get the method described by Acer-Blayn to work, I would probably access a command prompt and wipe the drive w/ diskpart clean and clean install windows 8.1 Pro.  But you will have more options if you can get to that screen including factory reset (from the Acer recovery partition).

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

• KarterJK
    Answer ✓

Actually I solved this.

I had to download the bios upgrade, it is an .exe file that you just run, and will automatically update.  It seems that the Aspire V5 571p (mine laptop) had a glitch, where it could lock the getting into the bios.  The update resolves it.

For anyone with the same issue, just go to the download area and get it.  

Thanks for all the inputs

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

how did you run it without a working windows installation?

• KarterJK

IronFly wrote:

how did you run it without a working windows installation?

Actually I did have a working OS (2 of them) a Windows 8 and Windows 7.  So that was fairly easy.  But even if one doesn't have a working OS, if you have access to another computer with USB you can create a WintoUSB OS.  It is like a portable OS that  you just plug-in and you are up and running with an OS.

• JordanB

If you don't mind my asking......How did you boot to USB if you couldn't get to BIOS to tell it to boot to USB?

I thought you tried F2, F12, Delete but nothing worked?

Ok, nevermind.  You had a working OS the whole time. I get it now.

Edit:

If you have a working UEFI Windows 8 or Windows 10 computer, you can just shift-restart to get UEFI menu and then reset to defaults.  F9 

• KarterJK

My problem was that I was stuck in Legacy mode, and Windows 8 had been installed using MBR (so the HD had been formatted in MBR). I have the factory restore discs, but they wouldn't run in Legacy mode, nor to a MBR formatted HD.   

So I applied the bios upgrade, changed the BIOs, booted to the USB OS which allowed me to entirely wipe the system HD and convert it to GPT.  Once that was done, reinstalling to factory settings with the discs was breeze.

• JordanB

Thanks for sharing.