S277HK Power regulation issue.

AngryAsir
AngryAsir Member Posts: 18 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hello Everyone.

I have quite a serious issue with my S277HK LCD monitor.

I purchased the monitor this year in August 2015 and until recently it had been working as expected.

It has now developed a serious problem with the power regulation, that you can not power on the unit once it as enter its power saving mode, but not only this it also the case that when it enters it's power saving phase it can no longer be switch on by the power button located on the monitor.

I have done a series of test to find the root of the problem such as:

1. Changed input cables (display port - DVI)

2. Changed computers.

3. Changed Power supply ports.

My concern now is that it has been sent for repair and posted back to me and the technician who has alledged tested the device has stated that 'there is no fault with the monitor'.

I have recorded my findings for anyone interested to look and would appreciate any advice that you can give. (click on S277hk monitor issues link below)

S277HK Monitor issues

At this present moment in time I am scheduling another repeair with customer support and find it deeply troubling that this as been declared as 'normal'.

I would like to know what you think about this, any help appreciated.

regards AA.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

AngryAsir,

Nice videos.  I don't have much experience troubleshooting monitors, but this is the only general troubleshooting advice that I can give you to help you be certain that the problem is with your monitor.  I do this for any electronic device that I have trouble with.......it gives me a clear head when I'm stumped trying to figure something out or am worried that I might have tunnel vision.

Take your monitor to a friends/coworkers/relatives house and see what happens when you plug it in to their electrical outlet and use their computer.

I've had some really strange experiences with electronic devices over the last 30 years....and sometimes that step can give you assurance that the problem is with your electronic device (monitor) and not something else.

If you still have the same behavior, then definitely sounds like you need to give Acer a call to set up an appointment.  But I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to monitors.  However, my monitors don't behave like that.

Although unrelated to your problem........

I live about 35 miles from one of the world's largest military bases and C-130s, AC-130 Spectres, and an assortment of helicopters w/ Special Forces training occurs here on a regular basis.  And who knows what else they fly over my house out here in the boonies at night.  I don't rule anything out here at my house.  Smiley Wink 

Edit: I don't have an Acer monitor.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • AngryAsir

Hi Jordon

Thanks for the advice,

Just to update you that my monitor is now back at acer where I hope the issue does get resloved. The point that I was trying to put across was that the monitor had already been for repair and According to acer this behavior was "Normal". 

Which as you can see is not the case, although it is a possibilty that maybe I have some electrical abnomaly in my house I think the likelyhood of that is very slim, and I do have other monitors and electrical devices working as they should.

I will let you know How it goes, but my experience of customer services has not been a good one Smiley Sad

regards

Mr Angry

• AngryAsir

Hello Jordan,

This is just an update, I have recieved the monitor back and I am now doing a series of test and will post my findings as soon as they are complete.

Mr ANgry

• chrisda
    chrisda Member Posts: 2 New User

Any update on this?

I ask because my S277HK has developed what seems like the same fault.

When it goes to sleep the blue light on the switch goes off (not orange) and the monitor won't wake up.  Pressing the mode buttons does nothing, nor does pressing anything on the PC keyboard.  After a while (fairly randomly as far as I can tell) it will come back.

I've turned power saving off and have had no issues since then except when I pressed the power button on the monitor and it turned off and would turn back on until the next morning so it's not just some signalling from the PC.

Again tried DVI, HDMI and DP interfaces so it's not cable spec or interface related.

Shame because it's quite nice aprt from this but I feel I'm going to burn the screen out and teh power waste must be terrible.  I've had the monitor about three months.

• AngryAsir

Hi Chrisda

Really sorry to hear this since I know all too well what you are going through. please have a look at these videos that I did 

S277HK Power regulation issue

I did a series of test to issolate the proplem after issolating the issue it was concluded that fault was within the monitor (like yours). I sent my unit for repair three times and it was never fixed, The monitor never powered back on when it went away on the third occasion.

But Like I have said on many occasions that with these particular monitors, that this is a common fault, like you I had the monitor for less than a month before it started playing up. I would advise you to get it sent to acer to fix the problem, they are obligded to give you a replacement if they cannot repair the monitor, but it is a labourious process and hoping to get an engineer who will properly do testing calls for a divine intervention.

Watch my videos and do some testing for yourself, acer wil ask if you if you have tried different plugs and cables etc.

For your piece of mind I can say without a doubt the issue is with the monitor and if you leave it as it is it will eventually not come on. So if you can take it back to your supplier then do so, otherwise you will need to rely on acer repairs to fix this fault.

I had a very good supplier who understood the headache I had and gave me a full refund, I am now using a non-acer monitor.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Mr NON-Acer

• chrisda
    chrisda Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply and the videos (I'd already watched them - very detailed, kudos for such a thorough check!)

I'll get this sort as soon as I can.

I noticed that my supplier (overclockers) says the monitor comes with a "on Site Warranty" where as Acer claim it's a "walk in waranty" so some grounds for mis selling there.

Once again thanks.

• wayneharper214
    wayneharper214 Member Posts: 2 New User

I am experiencing exactly the same issue and have sent it back for maintenance.

The service I have received so far is utterly shocking.

There was no communication notifying me of the first delivery attempt - so I missed the delivery. The UPS document stated there would be a subsequent attempt tried the following working day -so I waited in. It didn't arrive.

After spending another 30 minutes searching thorough Acer's website I found a web " question" e-mail. Asked them what was going on and they said it had been sent back to warehouse.

So I asked for it to be redelivered and to be given notice so I could arrange to be in. I got a response on the question page (you cannot reply via e-mail as that would make the customers life far too easy).

After a couple of questions and answers (again via the question web page as you can't use e-mai). I was told on Thursday 12/05/2017 at 13:03 that it was out for delivery. I assumed (as I would expect a sensible notification period) that the item would be delivered the following day - clearly that is too much to ask of Acer.

4 hours 20 mins prior to Acer's email informing me that it was out for delivery a delivery was attempt. They must think I am psychic or own a time machine. Again the UPS card said an attempt would be made the following day.

I suspect, given the omni-shambles experienced so far that it will go back to the warehouse and the whole situation will happen again.

Given the shocking service I have experienced so far I suspect, when they do get their house in order and deliver the item to me, that the monitor will be unrepaired (as with the poster in this thread).

Well I feel better now I have vented my spleen. No doubt I will have to do it again at a point in the future

• AngryAsir

Yes the curse of poor customer service, I can not really comment, but I encorage you to persist until you have exhausted all available avenues. let us know how you get on.

Mr Angry

• wayneharper214
    wayneharper214 Member Posts: 2 New User

So here is my latest tale of woe.

I managed to contact UPS to rearrange a new delivery (no help Acer as expected) so I chose Friday the 13th (I'm not superstitious).

I made sure sure I was in and the monitor was duely delivered. So I wired it all up and tried to power it on - dead as a dodo. Tried another plug socket and changed the fuse all to no avail. The monitor was dead as a dodo.

At this point I was, quite frankly, livid. So I went on live chat with acer customer service. It took about 20 mins for the customer service representive to understand what the issue was - probably due to my previous compliants about the delivery (which he kept banging on about) - however how you can misunderstand "I have had the monitor delivered and it still does not work and will not turn itself on" is beyond me.

The CSR was adamant that the monitor had been repaired and had gone through a quality control exercise (the chipboard was replaced due to a problem with the hibernation mode). At this point I remembered, that when unpackaging the monitor, I could see the powerpack still had the original wrapping on as when I sent it  to be repaired (I included all the leads when I packed the monitor).

So logic dictated that if the monitor itself had been repaired and the power pack hadn't been tested - it must be the power pack that was the issue. Therefore I requested that Acer just send me out a replacment power-pack so I could test to see if this was indeed the issue as it would save me from sending the whole thing back and having to deal with Acer's sloppy service again.

Obviously this request was denied and I was told that I had to send the whole thing back (I wasn't best pleased).

As I did not want to go through the cycle of missed deliveries again (due to Acer's complete lack of communication) I thought I would get a bit creative.

So I took part numbers from the back of the power-suppy and proceeded to order a replacement via Amazon (I don't really like using them because of creative tax accounting - but needs must) and it arrived today - with numerous messages about it being for delivery and when it was going to be delivered (prehaps Acer should take note,  The communication and prompt delivery aspect - not the dodgy tax accounting).

I plugged the new power pack in and lo and behold the monitor sprung into life. So, to be fair, they did indeed fix the hibernation issue (up until this point it has been working like a charm). However they clearly hadn't checked power supply.

Now whiltst the power pack cost £18, it was well worth paying so I didn't have to deal with the delivery issues again, but the fact is I should not of had to do this.

The process was a shambles from start to finish. No communication both to the customer and within the organisation (I strongly supect that whilst the repair centre is in the UK, the customer service part is in Asia and the two arms of the business do not commnicate).

Now whilst I have purchased Acer products products previously and have had no issues with them - I will not be purcahsing any other of their products because of the experience I have just had.

Now I just have decide whether to send the old power supply back to Acer using the RMA sent for the monitor or whether it is worth the hassle it will entail (I will defintely not be sending the monitor back).

If you have gotten this far thanks for reading another of my rants. Hoepfully I will not find the need to post again.

• AngryAsir

Thats great news wayneharper214

Its good they fixed the issue, hopefully it remains so

best regards

Mr NOT-so-Angry 

• yhelothar
    yhelothar Member Posts: 4 New User

I have the same issue and I just got it fixed today. It was simply a faulty power adapter. I went to the service center and they tested a different AC Adapter and it worked great.

Mine, I not only need to power cycle, but after unplugging the power, I need to press the power button to discharge any remaining stored charge. This usually takes 10-20 seconds and I'll know it's done because the power light will come on for a few seconds and turn off. After this, I can plug the monitor back in and it always turns on normally afterwards.

I'm so glad it's just the power supply. The faulty power supply looks like it's made by Delta. 

• AngryAsir

hi yhelothar,

Thankfully you only had a power supply issue, unfortunately many others have not been so fortunate, I still recievie emails from people who have recently bought this monitor and after a couple of months it brings up this issue.

regards

NotSoAngry sir

• yhelothar

That sucks. I hope you get it worked out. 

• chanti
    chanti Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as you, and same brand of power supply, Delta!

In my case, like in your case, I am able to use the monitor by unpluging it, the blue light appears, it goes away and then pluging it back turns on the monitor.

I have already called Acer and they have sent my the email to arrange the delivery of my monitor, my fear is that it is going to be exactly the power adapter, and I cannot afford to have the monitor away a week as I need it for work.

I think I am going to call Acer tomorrow and ask them to send me another power adapter, and see if that solves the problem.

What do yo think?

I am really glad I found your post.

Thank you yo AngryAsir  too, I wrote him on youtube and he replied almost instanly.

• bennunn
    bennunn Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm having this same issue.

It sounds like its a power adaptor thing, and having heard about other peoples experiences, I'm reluctant to send the monitor into Acer, so I'm just planning to buy a replacement power adaptor.

I don't want to buy the wrong one - will any Acer adaptor be compatible? Does it have to be Delta or are there other, better, makes I could get?

Thanks.

• yhelothar

Any power supply with the same voltage and amperage will work. In fact, when I went to the Acer service center, they gave me a Lite-On branded power supply. 

• CamG
    CamG Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi,

I have the same problem and have sent the monitor 3 times already to Acer Warranty

They have damaged the panel completely and the problem is still there

They have replaced the mainboard twice! never mentioned anythiung about power supply though

I have been in Acer UK Escalation/Complaints for 2 weeks now with many emails back and forth

last time they agreed if the monitor still has the problem they will refund me but after sending it back they simply said monitor does not have any problems and sent it back to me!

Of course I received  it and tested it, yes same old problem - I videoed from unpacking to issue showing and sent the video to them, this time all silence no response at all.

beside financial loss actually I more feel insulted

Don't know what to do now as panel is damaged in several areas while they were working on it and I have series of dead pixels and extreme light bleed smudges (different colors blinking about 2 inches diameter!) here and there...

worse is although I bought it NOV 2015 but I just started using the monitor and it was brand new Smiley Sad

• yhelothar

Did you send in your power supply with your monitor? Maybe you sent just the monitor in and they used their own power supply that worked fine? 

• CamG
    CamG Member Posts: 3 New User

I did send the power supply

Actually I sent everything even Cables

I don't think it was relevant, twice they recognised the problem and changed the main board, of course it did not help

Third time they promised to give me a refund and asked me to send it back, I have the email, but this time they simply said nothing wrong although everything was exactly the same as past couple of times and they returned the monitor with the fault and also a damaged panel

I have the suspicion that even successful fixes won't be permanent 

But honestly I am surprised how a company as big as Acer cannot repair a monitor, I don't know what is going on

• daveyc
    daveyc Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi there, Hopefully you resolved the issue with your Acer monitor. In which case what was the probelm and how was it sorted out? Many thanks